The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A few members have said they've got a mobile phone contract through https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/ when they've been denied one elsewhere. Worth a try.
(edited 5 years ago)
I am coming to the end of my 2 year contract on O2. I simply went into an O2 shop, said i need a new phone, preferably on contract, picked one, and bought it! and it was on offer so i got it for £15 a month rather than £30 :smile: never had any problems with credit (although it is charged to my parents' account which helps) and i've never heard of anyone being rejected before! maybe try going in a different shop?
noddle.co.uk will show you your credit rating for free and not do anything dodgy.

if you need to build a credit rating..
- register to vote
- get a job with a regular income
- if you're a student get a student credit card which will help with your credit history
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
O2 signed me on a three year contract worth £70,000 a week.
Reply 5
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
noddle.co.uk will show you your credit rating for free and not do anything dodgy.

if you need to build a credit rating..
- register to vote
- get a job with a regular income
- if you're a student get a student credit card which will help with your credit history

You can also get a bank account (not student) and this will help. I managed to get a contract this way.
Original post by OU Student
You can also get a bank account (not student) and this will help. I managed to get a contract this way.

i assumed OP had a bank account already... pretty sure networks don't let you pay by cash every month
I just applied for it and was approved. :dontknow: I'm not sure how/why, given I was unemployed, had no credit history and was in my overdraft at the time.

I also got accepted for a catalogue company (everything else was the same but I did have a credit card for two months prior).
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah, I have, unfortunately. When I applied for a T-Mobile contract early this year, I got rejected due to poor credit (have no idea why; I have had a job before and it was a regular account). I'll probably try again with a different mobile network later this year.
Reply 9
My credit rating is bad, banks won't even give me a student overdraft. But I still got a contract when I went into the Orange shop :confused: So you could try there. Back when I worked in Comet, I used to put through credit agreements for customers and you could alway tell the ones who were going to be rejected. Giving as much information as you can helps. You need a landline home phone number (just incase you don't. Some people don't). Can you think of anything that might have looked bad?

Also I have to say, I have had contracts for years, but I wouldn't do it now. I can't wait for mine to end so that I can switch to GiffGaff. Seriously, do it. Contracts are expensive and it can be hard when you are short of cash one month and end up getting bank charges because you didn't have enough in your account to cover your bill. When I took my last one out, I didn't think I'd ever be in that position but it happens. GiffGaff are unbeatable for value, £10/month for everything you need. The only downside is that you need to buy the handset outright which sucks initially but I worked it out and it's cheaper in the long run, plus more versatile. Plus you aren't tied in for 18 or 24 months, it's not a contract. I would go for that option if I was you.
Reply 10
I just walked in and picked a phone. They then did a credit check and I passed despite never having taken out credit before. :dontknow:
Reply 11
Possibly use your parents card? And then set up a direct debit to them maybe that will help
Shopped for mine through Quidco so got £150 cashback on it. Definitely have a look on Quidco to see if they have any good cashback offers and shop accordingly.
I didn't have any trouble with credit but I have a student credit card which probably helps.
Reply 13
I got one from the Carphone Warehouse when I was 18 nearly two years ago. I didn't have any overdrafts or credit cards at the time but had been with 2 different banks for current accounts and had been getting wages from 2 jobs and some self-employed work paid into the account for around 4 months and had £30 a week EMA going in during term time before that. I'd also been living at my current address for nearly 9 years and was on the electoral roll which I've heard both help.
Reply 14
Cant say i did, i applied for mine the day i turned 18 and i had no credit history but was approved... i did it through phones for you if that helps?
Reply 15
Some really helpful replies, thanks. In the end, orange accepted me through phones4u. I guess they are more lenient than talk mobile, who asked for a 100 pound deposit or they wouldn't give me the contract. So i guess its dependant on network, rather than on the actual credit itself. Thanks all.
Reply 16
When i was 19 i got an overdraft, mobile contract and credit card all with a part time job.

Now i have an overdraft and a sim-only contract though i got a CCJ from the credit card before.
Reply 17
I got mine shortly after I just turned 18 for an iPhone with o2, they give me a contract with a £250 deposit which I got back after 3 months of paying which was because of my credit so this was how I had to prove myself.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I just went into Carphone Warehouse and got a contract with Vodafone. I don't think I would have had any credit history by then.. I wil now as I've spent the last two years paying my phone contract/gas and electric/rent/internet/water. Where can you check your credit report for free?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 19
Original post by LinzyLoo
My credit rating is bad, banks won't even give me a student overdraft. But I still got a contract when I went into the Orange shop :confused: So you could try there. Back when I worked in Comet, I used to put through credit agreements for customers and you could alway tell the ones who were going to be rejected. Giving as much information as you can helps. You need a landline home phone number (just incase you don't. Some people don't). Can you think of anything that might have looked bad?

Also I have to say, I have had contracts for years, but I wouldn't do it now. I can't wait for mine to end so that I can switch to GiffGaff. Seriously, do it. Contracts are expensive and it can be hard when you are short of cash one month and end up getting bank charges because you didn't have enough in your account to cover your bill. When I took my last one out, I didn't think I'd ever be in that position but it happens. GiffGaff are unbeatable for value, £10/month for everything you need. The only downside is that you need to buy the handset outright which sucks initially but I worked it out and it's cheaper in the long run, plus more versatile. Plus you aren't tied in for 18 or 24 months, it's not a contract. I would go for that option if I was you.

I am on 3 but i have to agree.

Looking at the GS3 for example it would cost a minimum of £30 contract for 24 months which equates to over £700 (and that is assuming you keep within your limits all the time). Take out a £10 sim-only and buy the phone for £400 cash and over 2 years you should save at least £100 or to put it another way, have it for equivalent of £20 per month.

Latest

Trending

Trending