The Student Room Group

Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
brimstone

-You'll still be nagged to get your work done, but because you're there of your own free will, they can't do anything to you if you don't, so you need more self-motivation

Actually, people were kicked out of my 6th form today, a couple of chavs who havn't do anything all year, hardly ever turn up, do work etc. So yeah, they can do stuff, but do your work, don't bunk off lessons and you'll be fine. :smile:
yeah there was a guy at my sixth form who got chucked out, he had to teach himself the rest of his A levels that must be tough!
I dont know how I am going to cope, when I go to my new sixthform college. Its probably because I won't know anyone there, but oh well I guess I have to get used to it somehow.

Also, I've heard that you don't get as much help in sixthform as you would in years 7-11. Is this true?
mysterious lady
I dont know how I am going to cope, when I go to my new sixthform college. Its probably because I won't know anyone there, but oh well I guess I have to get used to it somehow.

Also, I've heard that you don't get as much help in sixthform as you would in years 7-11. Is this true?

In a sixth form attached to a school, I'd say if anything you get more help because your classes are smaller, but in a college, I've heard it is more independent.
kellywood_5
In a sixth form attached to a school, I'd say if anything you get more help because your classes are smaller, but in a college, I've heard it is more independent.

When you say independent, does that mean that your teachers will not be there like maybe after school to help you if you need help on something?:eek:
Reply 25
Having been to both school and sixth form i can help i suppose.

Sixth form is very strict, many make you wear a uniform or suit, and they constantly nag you about homeowkr. You get free lessons but thats about the only freedom other than being allowed to go out for lunch. You may also get a common room but theyre not amazing in most schools... just a place top spend your free lessons doing your homework.

College,m however, is much more independant and usually better equipped for sixth form needs... e.g. more computers, better facilities, more freedom (can go home when you like) and they dont nag. However, the onus is on you to do your work and turn up etc because they dont care if you fail, unlike a sixth form which will be upset for you if you fail because it relflects badly on the school. Colleges dont appear to be quite so picky.
And to the poster above, teachers are usually there to help ALL the time at college because they dont have to teach the lower school, so they have more time for you... IF you want to learn that is.
Reply 26
ooh but going to a new place will be so tough! i don't know if i could have at this stage. In 2 years maybe! its just the students in our year are pretty nice genettally and most of those who are not will probably not get in...

i think 6th form will be so much better than years 7-11. more freedom. more individuality. and if i may say so....more maturity in students...(i think...is it true?)
Reply 27
Krystal
ooh but going to a new place will be so tough! i don't know if i could have at this stage. In 2 years maybe! its just the students in our year are pretty nice genettally and most of those who are not will probably not get in...

i think 6th form will be so much better than years 7-11. more freedom. more individuality. and if i may say so....more maturity in students...(i think...is it true?)

Of course! The stundents that continue on to A-level are usually mature people, immature people are less likely to take up A-levels, so it acts as a filter, I guess. :p:
Reply 28
sixthformer18
Well, when I applied my original options were Business Studies, Maths, Economics and Chemistry. But I was discouraged to drop one from Business Studies, maths and economics as they were of the same "discipline". So I dropped Business and chose Politics.

So far, I'm doing great. I think A-Levels bring out the best in you. It encourages you to think hard and argue hard. I thoroughly enjoy Economics and Politics because they have some modules covering European Union, and I'm an Eurosceptic. :wink:

hey, im planning on doing the same subjects as you but not politics. Why did you drop Business Studies and not Economics?
main point is you will all be fine!
You will have the best two years of your life now, so don't overworry!
It's great honestly, alevels aren't that bad.
Reply 30
Hi every one !
I have an important question I hope to get it's answer which is
WHEN ARE THE MARKS OF THE "A" LEVELS?
Saad Essam
Hi every one !
I have an important question I hope to get it's answer which is
WHEN ARE THE MARKS OF THE "A" LEVELS?

A-level results day is Thursday, August 17th 2006.
Reply 32
brimstone
Lol, I don't wanna drop a subject :p: But I'll have to see how the AS's go!

i didn't drop an AS, ended up taking 5 full A levels (if you count general studies that i took in full while in year 12)

takes a LOT of commitment. i had tonnes of extra curricular stuff going on too, espesh as i was head girl, so i had to let one of my A levels lag a little - i decided i was never going to get an A in maths (i got an A at AS...but the step up from AS to A2 is vast in maths!) so i chose to concentrate on trying to get the 3A grades i need for uni instead. the extra curricular stuff really paid off - i got a lot of enjoyment out of it, and the universities lapped it up on my personal statement!

hopefully it worked, still should have got at least a C in maths as i went into the exam with a D..we'll see tho eh?

as far as relationships with teachers goes, it's been fantastic at my school. the bond between teachers and students was so much stronger this year than it has been in the past - we go out for meals and to the pub with our teachers regularly...even the headteacher danced with me at the leavers' dinner!

Frees are an absolute life-saver - even if you have no work to be doing (i can guarrantee you always will!) you will need these to keep you sane! when else would you have the time to build house (with a roof, doors and windows) out of weetabix in the common room??

to the OP. i think what i'm trying to say is that the more you put into 6th form life, the more you will enjoy it. i'm 100% certain that i couldn't have put any more into my time in the 6th form, and hopefully i'll continue to reap the benefits!

good luck, and get ready to enjoy some of the best years of your lives:smile:
Very informative anyway well I think if you have a good relation ith your teacher like they treat you like a friend that can really help especially in the way they treat you, lol and the best thing is that you dont really get detentions or anything if you dont finish your work which is great, Im really exited to get in A level class...
In years 7-11, the people are so groupy and cliquey, you know how it is with girls, in sixth form is everyone more friendly and just hang around with everyone?
Reply 35
that was true for my sixth form anyway yes :smile:
worldwide
that was true for my sixth form anyway yes :smile:

ah good, because I didnt have many friends in yr11 because of that horrible immature gang thing people do.
PurpleSnow
ah good, because I didnt have many friends in yr11 because of that horrible immature gang thing people do.

Same here, but in sixth form I was friends with pretty much everyone in my year, even those who used to pick on me a few short years ago :rolleyes: So don't worry, sixth form is much better because the most immature people leave and the rest grow up.
HALLELUJA!!! HALLELUJA!!!
I'm considering staying at my current school, as I really want to do Latin, our school is the only one that does it round here.

And is it true that the *beeps* in the lower school seem to not bother you anymore because you're in your own clothes and enjoying yourself more?
MarcD
Of course! The stundents that continue on to A-level are usually mature people, immature people are less likely to take up A-levels, so it acts as a filter, I guess. :p:

I completed my own sixth form education last year, and that was certainly my experience. :smile: I always loved that feel of being in an exclusive 'club', where the idiots and slackers from secondary school were 'weeded out'.

Quick Reply

Latest