The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont know about that, spreading yourself too thin can be just as bad if not worse, some of the best bands have been at the top of their genre without having to add too many elements into the mix. That said, with the amount of music that exists today, surely there are few bands which don't tread on at least a few genres.
Reply 41
Malkmus
I like rock and some metal music although my taste doesn't appear to crossover with too many people here. Boris are strangely popular in this sub-forums though which is no bad thing! :biggrin:

I'll just list 10 random bands plucked from my mp3 player beside me I like that I don't think other people haven't mentioned.

Bardo Pond
Boredoms
Karma to Burn
Melvins
Shellac
Big Black
Black Eyes
Melt-Banana
AIDS Wolf
Lightning Bolt

It's pretty vague though. Rock and metal could probably cover 50% of the music I listen to.

Legend!
Reply 42
SoundDevastation
Talk to anyone into the music that im into.. and certain 'classics' will always crop up. They're just not as old or as well known as popular classics.

You mean stuff like "We Are The Romans" by Botch?
what's this record label of yours? you don't seem to have a sig :s-smilie:
Botch? Quality.
Yes, thats definately one.

i thought i had a sig? oh well.. http://www.sounddevastation.co.uk. i do recommend you check back in about two weeks though, as we've got 4 new releases and a brand new (and much better) website going up all at once.
Reply 45
What do you mean you thought you had a sig? You do :confused:
Smiler said i didnt.. i know i do!
Reply 47
Right :p:
Reply 48
Sorry, you didn't for a wee while. it's back now!

Ace, what's that like running your own label? you can tell i'm gonna bombard you with emails trying to get random bands signed now :wink:

Oh btw, hey i'm SmilerNuts. I listen to loads of stuff but mostly anything from 1990 to present day. Rock, Metal, Punk etc (and most of teh sub genres), mp3 is chock a block with random stuff.

Ok i dunno, anyone wanna debate anything in particular? share some ace bands that they think everyone should have in their lives?
Reply 49
You have your own label? Well that's pretty cool :biggrin:
Reply 50
Does that not rule him out of being a student then? :s-smilie:
Reply 51
He WAS a student, which is good enough :p:
Reply 52
Lol fair enough, just so long as my band get signed by him :wink:
Not seen a mention of Deep purple - they are awesome and have some great non mainstream (AFAIK) songs as well as some classic mainstream ones.

If you wanna check out some good heavy rock albums try 'Machine Head' 'Paranoid' and 'Led Zep 4'.
Reply 54
To those of you who have yet to sample the delights of Dream Theater (progressive virtuosic metal), Opeth (progressive black metal / melodic blues rock) or Mastodon (progressive grindcore crossover metal), do so immediately! Progressive metal rules all!

Also check out System Of A Down's first and third albums - System Of A Down and Steal This Album - theyre way better than Toxicity if you're into experimental/progressive metal
conoraq
To those of you who have yet to sample the delights of Dream Theater (progressive virtuosic metal), Opeth (progressive black metal / melodic blues rock) or Mastodon (progressive grindcore crossover metal), do so immediately! Progressive metal rules all!

Also check out System Of A Down's first and third albums - System Of A Down and Steal This Album - theyre way better than Toxicity if you're into experimental/progressive metal

I experienced Mastodon on Sunday..u know all that pain and death all these hard metal bands sing about? well i literally felt all of that when watching mastodon.
Reply 56
lol very witty - i guess you're not cool enough to appreciate them eh? jokes
Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Seether, Metallica, System of a Down, Black Label Society, Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, Steppenwolf, Poison, Van Halen, Queen, Whitesnake, Dream Theatre, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Machine Head, Nickelback.....to name a few :tongue:
Reply 58
conoraq

Definitely dream theatre and SoaD, but Opeth and Mastodon do nothing for me :redface:
Reply 59
SmilerNuts
whatever happened to that old thread? can't seem to find it using the search engine so time to start a new one methinks?

Anyone into rock (not indie, actual rock) and metal that wants to talk about bands can post here.

Fave bands at the moment would have to be: The Bled, From Autumn To Ashes, Machine Head, Killswitch Engage and Alexisonfire

KSE and alexisonfire ROCK
my fav my KSE: my last serenade, the rose of sharyn, end of heartache, numberd days, my curse, the arms of sorrow
alex; bolied frogs mailbox arson