The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
^^ The ones I have seen are rather small. Also accomodation staff do randomly come into your room without your consent.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
Hows the crime levels in halls? If you say that the staff can go into rooms without consent have you experienced or heard any theft of stuff from rooms?
Reply 42
There is crime only if your naive enough to leave your window open and door unlocked when you are not in your room, and letting someone into your halls without asking whether they are a UCL student. Some people broke into schafer earlier in the academic year and they only burgled one room and that room was NOT locked. The staff do have a second set of keys you know just in case you lost yours :smile:
Reply 43
Yeah the only theft I've heard of has involved random people gatecrashing a halls party or an unlocked window.
As long as you're careful you'll be fine.
Reply 44
ok, so this might be a slightly strange Question, but i'm getting logistical, seeing as its only 5 months to go *needs to get more of a life*
with the halls on gower street/right by ucl, where the hell did you /your parents park when lugging stuff up to your room?
Reply 45
omg that was a problem for us too. we came driving up from brussels, and then parked on a side-street close to Ramsey, in order to get my key. then when we came back to get my stuff, there was a parking warden writing down our licence plate number. we didn't get a fine, but he told us to leave. we then parked the car right outside ramsey, my mother stayed in the car, and we did about 7 trips to get my stuff in and eventually found a car-park near-by.
it can be a bit of a hassle, so try and have someone who can stay in the car, and u shud be able to park right outside :smile:
Reply 46
simdam
omg that was a problem for us too. we came driving up from brussels, and then parked on a side-street close to Ramsey, in order to get my key. then when we came back to get my stuff, there was a parking warden writing down our licence plate number. we didn't get a fine, but he told us to leave. we then parked the car right outside ramsey, my mother stayed in the car, and we did about 7 trips to get my stuff in and eventually found a car-park near-by.
it can be a bit of a hassle, so try and have someone who can stay in the car, and u shud be able to park right outside :smile:

cheers, i think i have a (rather cunning) plan, theres got to be a pay-car park at Euston/ that Hospital-like thing where that person died, right? and they're only a few minutes walk. overall, Voitta. :smile:
Reply 47
I actually just took a taxi to my halls (on Gower Street) on the day, I was staying in a hotel though as I flew over a few days before from Ireland.

However I think that if you come on the Sunday you're allowed park outside the halls on Gower Street, everyone I saw certainly did. Only problem is that there might not be any spaces if you're a bit late, so get there early.
Reply 48
I read in another post that Camden makes sure to send all its traffic wardens down to student residences on moving-in days... greedy bunch. I shall be circumnavigating this problem by arriving by train, which does however create the alternative problem of trying to carry a whole room's worth of stuff. A bit at a time, I guess. I'm only 20 minutes by train from St Pancras (on that one day in 50 that things run on time anyway), strangely quicker to get to where I live than many places that are inside London itself.
Reply 49
yes.. the voice has been raised to shove me and The Mother/The Sister on a train to london with suitcases.... I'm hoping this Voice develops convenient tonsillitis. I can't fit my life into 4 suitcases, godsdammit! i have shiny pretty, breakable things... though if i can find a cheap student DHL-y type thing (with the boxes and the moving of things) i'd be tempted.
Reply 50
Ah, the voice. Nasty. I have a friend who started his own earplug business (no, really), perhaps he can help with that.
Reply 51
if you ask me really nicely you can come down and store a box each weekend in my room and fill it up slowly. that way all your stuff will b in london by the time you have to start lol:biggrin:
So is it possible for students to bring their own cars during term time if you live in halls. Any guranteed parking, free or paid?
Reply 53
Inflation
So is it possible for students to bring their own cars during term time if you live in halls. Any guranteed parking, free or paid?

It is central London there is no such thing as guaranteed parking. It is best not to own a car if you live centrally.

Obviously you will be moving in on a Sat or Sun so just come early on the day park outside your halls keep the motor running with someone in the driving seat and start hurling your items through the main door

Not sure if enforcement officers operate at the weekend :s-smilie:

ETA: There is an NCP car park on Woburn Place/Street from what I recall
Reply 54
i arrived on a tuesday, so i don't kow about this. but if there's someone in the car then it shouldn't be a problem if they tell you to leave you just drive around the block and wait for them to go :smile:
Reply 55
It is central London there is no such thing as guaranteed parking. It is best not to own a car if you live centrally.

There is if you live in my halls.
Reply 56
saw someone get a parking fine just outside ramsey today.
Reply 57
Any chance of visiting halls?

I'm taking a gap year so I have till next year to decide which hall so I was wondering if I could actually go and visit the halls I'm interested in? I'll be london in July/August ...
edward27
Any chance of visiting halls?

I'm taking a gap year so I have till next year to decide which hall so I was wondering if I could actually go and visit the halls I'm interested in? I'll be london in July/August ...

Nice idea but won't it be a bit late / pointless by then? We have to hand the form in by the end of May and we'll find out around August anyway...
Reply 59
people taking a gap year don't have to apply for accommodation, do they?

Latest

Trending

Trending