The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wangers
No.

Of the people I knew who got in, they're not perfect. They have very good applications, but they're also very human.

There is a world of difference between what makes a good doctor, and what is proportedly a good applicant. The strongest applicants are often not people with sterling grades - they're (IMHO) people that have been through a lot - they have shown, can show but deal with their weaknesses. They're often not the type of person that worries about a low A grade for a module. Why? Not because they are geniuses, but because theres much more to life then grades. Very often, these are the people that don't pander to expectations, that have the courage and conviction to do their own thing.

When I had my interview, it was one of the hardest things I'd ever (and probably ever will do). It boils down to what makes you tick - Looking back on it, you end up telling 2 complete strangers some of your most vulnerable momments. What your weaknesses are, being tested on decisions you've made, how you spend your time, and ultimatly - your perceptions and capacity for self awareness. I don't really know how to describ it, but its designed to test who you are and what you are. Not whether you're intelligent (otherwise you wouldn't be there).

To steal a line, its to test whether 'His eyes should flash with an inborn fire'

At the end of the day, you're only being tested on who you think you are.

That's great, I don't disagree with you. Not once did I say that people with flawless academic records and excellent personal statements equate to the best doctors.

The point I'm making is that if they apply then they will VERY LIKELY not be called to interview at any of their four choices. I say this knowing a lot of medical applicants, who got a wide range of interviews in terms of number and university. One had low grades in medical terms (odd A*, rest A's - AAAB at AS) and she only got one interview which was enough for her to impress the interviewers. Showing your capability as a doctor is a fine, and I'm sure the OP may be able to, but if they aren't provided with an interview to showcase this potential than what's the point?

It's good that you managed to get interviews to show your vulnerability and sensitivity as a medic, but I'm assuming your grades were good enough that universities felt confident enough to invite you to one. The OP doesn't match the vast majority of medical school's minimum requirements - of those that do, many are rejected without interview.

So out of curiosity, what would you advise that they do?
Reply 41
ninety_nine
That's great, I don't disagree with you. Not once did I say that people with flawless academic records and excellent personal statements equate to the best doctors.

The point I'm making is that if they apply then they will VERY LIKELY not be called to interview at any of their four choices. I say this knowing a lot of medical applicants, who got a wide range of interviews in terms of number and university. One had low grades in medical terms (odd A*, rest A's - AAAB at AS) and she only got one interview which was enough for her to impress the interviewers. Showing your capability as a doctor is a fine, and I'm sure the OP may be able to, but if they aren't provided with an interview to showcase this potential than what's the point?

It's good that you managed to get interviews to show your vulnerability and sensitivity as a medic, but I'm assuming your grades were good enough that universities felt confident enough to invite you to one. The OP doesn't match the vast majority of medical school's minimum requirements - of those that do, many are rejected without interview.

So out of curiosity, what would you advise that they do?

Me? I'd advise them to think about what exactly it is they want to do. If they really do want to read medicine, regardless of place, then there are options open. Apply stratigiclly) Cambridge (counter intuitive I know) and SGUL - offer very very high interview rates (Cambs attempt 90+%) and SGUL will gurantee interviews to those meeting certain (relatively basic) criteria. How well can you do on the BMAT? If you think you can get a decent mark, UCL is worth a shot - they gurantee interviews to those with over 5,5,9. (be wary this is a high hurdle).

The disadvantage of this approach is that its ergonomiclly suicide - ie you don't fit the course to you - but if they can adapt to different styles of teaching, then it is a viable option, provided they're willing to work for it. In normal circumstances, I'd say go where you'll enjoy it - but as a generalisation I think most people don't really know any different anyway....

Oh and the negative comments (your first para) - those wern't directed at you - more of a desperate reposte to some of the ignorance currently on show.

OP, don't base your education on my ramblings, do your own thing, you only live once.

Latest

Trending

Trending