The Student Room Group

How do you know if someone's blocked your number?

Okay...strange request but I've been having slight troubles with a guy and I've been calling him a few times to try and get through to him (long story!). He never answers the phone anyway but it normally just rings until a message says he can't answer. Now it just goes straight to a message saying that he can't get to the phone and they'll send him a text to say I called. Is that what happens when someone's blocked your number? Or does it just not even ring out at all? It could just be that his phone's switched off. He doesn't have a voicemail and I can't remember if the message I used to get when it just rang until he didn't answer is the same as the one I'm getting now...the paranoia is setting in! Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Have you done something to warrant him blocking you? I have no experiance of this but if you've done something to warrant it i'd imagine it's plausable.
Reply 2
Well...he's just started being really weird and I've turned into this horrible nagging person because of it so he might have blocked me...but if he did...he didn't do it until last night-ish...=S and I hadn't been speaking to him for two days anyway. LOL! This is turning into a health and relationships topic but I don't want to get into it....I just want to know the answer to my question :smile: pleaseee let someone know!
Reply 3
Call him five times every hour for a year. If there's never any answer then you might be in trouble I'm afraid.
Reply 4
LOL! I don't like calling...it's a verrry awkward situation. I'm guessing no one knows what happens when someone blocks your number then?
I think you may have been blocked? I can't remember properly, but I think it will auto-reject your call if you have been blocked.

Try calling him from another number straight after calling with your mobile?
Reply 6
Does he have a BlackBerry? :p:
My blocked calls go into a looping engaged tone :O
Reply 7
I'm pretty sure when either my battery has gone flat or my phone is off I get text messages saying the number and the time they called by my service provider. So might be that.

If I was you I would probably give it a few days and see what happens, unless it's really urgent - may just want some space for whatever reason.
Reply 8
That's what happens when you turn your phone off.

And it isn't that easy to block someone's number afaik. I think one would have to go to a fair bit of effort to do that.
Reply 9
Stace-is-Ace
LOL! I don't like calling...it's a verrry awkward situation. I'm guessing no one knows what happens when someone blocks your number then?

OK, OK - go round his house and stand outside his window. Press your nose up tightly against the glass and whimper slightly. Then remove your clothes and make a call me sign.

He should then unblock your number.
It takes a lot of effort to block someone's number, and it requires that the blocked person has been making lots of nuisance calls; no one's going to be able to do it on a whim unless they are good at socially engineering call centre workers. Also, normally the act of blocking someone's number involves calling the police as well, I doubt that this has happened.
Thanks guys - I feel reassured...he's been feeling really down and stuff - he said it was nothing to do with me but we used to talk a lot and it's went from being...lots of talking to none...so it kinda freaked me out! I guess I just need patience. Poor guy's going to get 3000 messages from me calling him! LOL! I didn't realise it would send a message because I'd never listened to the full answerphone message. C-R-A-P! I feel like a 13 year old :smile:
Reply 12
Your welcome. :smile:

Speaking from a guys point of view but not knowing the full situation, it's probably just that something has happened that he needs to deal with on his own or doesn't want to talk about it and when he is ready he will get back to you in his own time. But when these things happen and we are not given the reason why people are acting different usually thoughts start going through your head thinking about everything you have done that may of contributed or not. But if he says it's not to do with you I'd just give him space and let him be for now, as hard as that maybe.
pritnep
Your welcome. :smile:

Speaking from a guys point of view but not knowing the full situation, it's probably just that something has happened that he needs to deal with on his own or doesn't want to talk about it and when he is ready he will get back to you in his own time. But when these things happen and we are not given the reason why people are acting different usually thoughts start going through your head thinking about everything you have done that may of contributed or not. But if he says it's not to do with you I'd just give him space and let him be for now, as hard as that maybe.

Hehe thanks for that =] I'm sure you're right but I'm pretty worried that I've just totally scared him off now...I mean...he's been acting strangely for almost two weeks (I think...)
Reply 14
If you text him you wont know if hes blocked your number. It will send on your side but wont receive on his. Dont know about phone calls
KJ21
If you text him you wont know if hes blocked your number. It will send on your side but wont receive on his. Dont know about phone calls

Thanks anyway =]

I'm not calling cos I want him to answer (he never does - doesn't like talking on the phone) I'm just calling to check if he's alive!
Reply 16
Stace-is-Ace
Thanks anyway =]

I'm not calling cos I want him to answer (he never does - doesn't like talking on the phone) I'm just calling to check if he's alive!

Get someone else to ring and see if he answers lol.

Ill do it if you want
Lol! I'm pretty sure that'd only make him even more mad :P
Reply 18
Id say oh sorry pal wrong number lol
Lol! He wouldn't actually answer. He never does. He's a strange boy. I called him from another phone there and I got the same message. SO....I'll just have to wait/get over him...