Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Official Lancaster University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 3meeeganxx
Thanks! What makes it so goood?

First of all, I like my course. In my first year I studied English as my major but as you have to choose 2 minors I was also studying Linguistics and Politics. Thanks to that I could switch to Politics after my first year and thats what I'm doing. I love it that you get to choose 2 other subjects.

Secondly, I like the campus. Everythings in one place - accommodation, lecture theatres, some takeaways, Spar, etc.

The city centre is just 15-20 minutes away by bus. It isn't big but I like it. There are the most necessary shops there and the clubs are decent too.

Scholarships and bursaries - £1,000 each if you qualify which is pretty awesome.

So yeah, I'd definitely recommend it. The first year wasnt splendid but now I'm in my second year and have met some great people and I'm loving it. Cant wait to come back to uni after the christmas break. :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by 3meeeganxx
Thanks! What makes it so goood?

bear in mind though, that some subjects dont allow you to take a minor subject, and some allow you to take just one. its not something to worry about now though. you dont pick untill freshers week. and even then you can change within the first few weeks (i did). Lancaster is an awesome place, i love it so much. As is said a few posts ago, i prefer being at uni, on campus, amongst my new friends with the freedom.
another awesome aspect is the colleges, the uni is split up into 8 undergrad colleges. All have a different history and traditions (although many of the stereotypes really dont matter). each college has their own area of campus where you will find their college bar, JCR, SCR and accomodation.

if you have any more questions about the place, just ask in here. Im sure there will be someone to answer your questions very quickly. :smile:

Original post by RabbitCFH
I'm coming back on the 7th/8th, ha!

awwwww.....as if! ...well i could come back early but id be the only one in the flat and non of my friends would be there....pretty damn pointless tbh :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
Does anyone know is it possible to take language classes at Uni, or anywhere in Lancaster???
Original post by hangmanh
Does anyone know is it possible to take language classes at Uni, or anywhere in Lancaster???

Yep, you have to pay for it. S'all I know, sorry. :p:
Hi, I have an unconditional offer to do Combined Science at Lancaster - though my UCAS application was Computer Science based. The degree looks really interesting; you get to do up to three science subjects or 2 sciences and 1 non-science - with the possibility of spending your 2nd year at a North American uni. The sciences (applied sciences I guess) I'm interested in are Engineering (Mechanical), Computer Science and Communication Systems.

How is the teaching like here? - e.g. contact hours, seminar numbers, student projects etc..

The college system looks quite unique as well as the surrounding areas! How is sports like? do people like going out to the Lake District for, say, mountain biking?

really happy I got an offer! :biggrin:

all answers appreciated!
Original post by Mombasa Raha
Hi, I have an unconditional offer to do Combined Science at Lancaster - though my UCAS application was Computer Science based. The degree looks really interesting; you get to do up to three science subjects or 2 sciences and 1 non-science - with the possibility of spending your 2nd year at a North American uni. The sciences (applied sciences I guess) I'm interested in are Engineering (Mechanical), Computer Science and Communication Systems.

How is the teaching like here? - e.g. contact hours, seminar numbers, student projects etc..

The college system looks quite unique as well as the surrounding areas! How is sports like? do people like going out to the Lake District for, say, mountain biking?

all answers appreciated!

The amount of contact time varies depending on the subject, but personally everybody I know thinks its about right. The balance between lectures, tutorials, workshops and independant study seems to be good.

As for sport & making use of the surrounding areas, there are loads of different sports clubs, you will almost definitely find some you like, and the biggest club at the university is the Hiking club, who do weekly (maybe fortnightly, i'm not 100% sure) trips to different areas. As for mountain biking, I don't know of any biking clubs, but there might be. Even if there isn't, its pretty easy to set up your own society if you want to, and I'm sure for something like mountain biking you wouldn't struggle to find people to join.
Reply 86
Original post by mackemforever
How come you're going back so early?

2 essays in for the 17th, and I love lancaster so much. Miss my friends etc.
Reply 87

all answers appreciated!

as a computer science student i think they have the course balanced perfectly. i also do communications as my minor subject. that has been much harder for me, probably because its a completely new subject and concept and it took me a few weeks for it to 'click'. much of the computer science course so far i have already done previously.
youll find that some lecturers are very bad, those subjects tend to have a low lecture turnout xD. But there are a few VERY good lecturers. Lynne Blair who did my Java basics is awesome.

if you wanna know any more about computer science or communications just send me a private message and ill try my best to answer your questions.
Original post by mackemforever
The amount of contact time varies depending on the subject, but personally everybody I know thinks its about right. The balance between lectures, tutorials, workshops and independant study seems to be good.

As for sport & making use of the surrounding areas, there are loads of different sports clubs, you will almost definitely find some you like, and the biggest club at the university is the Hiking club, who do weekly (maybe fortnightly, i'm not 100% sure) trips to different areas. As for mountain biking, I don't know of any biking clubs, but there might be. Even if there isn't, its pretty easy to set up your own society if you want to, and I'm sure for something like mountain biking you wouldn't struggle to find people to join.

Thanks for your reply, I'm not too much of a hiker but I think their will be more than enough sports clubs to wet my appetite!

Original post by J1mjam
as a computer science student i think they have the course balanced perfectly. i also do communications as my minor subject. that has been much harder for me, probably because its a completely new subject and concept and it took me a few weeks for it to 'click'. much of the computer science course so far i have already done previously.
youll find that some lecturers are very bad, those subjects tend to have a low lecture turnout xD. But there are a few VERY good lecturers. Lynne Blair who did my Java basics is awesome.

if you wanna know any more about computer science or communications just send me a private message and ill try my best to answer your questions.

Thanks for your reply, what makes the bad lecturers bad though? is it their style of teaching? Was Communications fairly hard?
Reply 89
Thanks for your reply, I'm not too much of a hiker but I think their will be more than enough sports clubs to wet my appetite!

Thanks for your reply, what makes the bad lecturers bad though? is it their style of teaching? Was Communications fairly hard?

there is one lecturer that has a very monotone voice, never moves and generally boring which makes him very very difficult to listen to as you quickly loose focus. the few lecturers that have some enthusiasm are much much easier to listen to and either by coincidence or otherwise, i prefer them subjects.

as for communications. i personally found it hard. but my friend who did a physics a level found it fine. the bits that took me a while to get were, to do with radiowaves and modulation. but as i said, with a bit of hard work it finally clicked and now i find it fine. The recent unit of mobile communication really interested me, i guess everyones different.
Original post by J1mjam
there is one lecturer that has a very monotone voice, never moves and generally boring which makes him very very difficult to listen to as you quickly loose focus. the few lecturers that have some enthusiasm are much much easier to listen to and either by coincidence or otherwise, i prefer them subjects.

as for communications. i personally found it hard. but my friend who did a physics a level found it fine. the bits that took me a while to get were, to do with radiowaves and modulation. but as i said, with a bit of hard work it finally clicked and now i find it fine. The recent unit of mobile communication really interested me, i guess everyones different.

Yeah, communications sounds a bit tough if you haven't done Physics.
Reply 91
Yeah, communications sounds a bit tough if you haven't done Physics.

certain things yeh...but even me, with no a level physics got it in the end...
Reply 92

Mountain Biking is pretty active at the uni. I'm a member of the cycling club (LUCC) and we've been on quite a few trips last term, including Gisburn Forest, Whinlatter Forest, The Real Ale Wobble in Wales and Lee Quarry. There's also weekly rides around the surrounding area, some go into the Forest of Bowland. MTBers often go on those too, but sometimes the roadies split off.

Members of the cycling club and the shops in town are more than willing to help out with bike maintenance too. The club's got a trailer and access to two cars and if we need more we just hire from LUSU.

It really is a fantastic location for mountain biking.
Original post by AndySpeed
Mountain Biking is pretty active at the uni. I'm a member of the cycling club (LUCC) and we've been on quite a few trips last term, including Gisburn Forest, Whinlatter Forest, The Real Ale Wobble in Wales and Lee Quarry. There's also weekly rides around the surrounding area, some go into the Forest of Bowland. MTBers often go on those too, but sometimes the roadies split off.

Members of the cycling club and the shops in town are more than willing to help out with bike maintenance too. The club's got a trailer and access to two cars and if we need more we just hire from LUSU.

It really is a fantastic location for mountain biking.

ahh, thanks for the response dude! I'm quite new to MTB, only been on a couple rides in the Surrey Hills..live in central London and I don't have a car, so it can be quite difficult. The Lake District and the surrounding countryside is one of the major things that attracted me to Lancaster!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by cambo211

Noticed that too. :p:
Reply 96
Is LUsernet still around? My gf went to Lancaster 5 years ago and she said she remembered the first thing the SU told them officially was that LUsernet was bad, Ummkay? The first unofficial thing they told them was where to get the program.
Reply 97

hahaha, i never go underpass ( i think thats the underpass) so aint seen that. just LOL. im guessing they are referring to each side of the hand rail? or something. but thats funny...'tards
Reply 98

Never noticed that before!
Reply 99
Original post by hangmanh

Pfft, probably way to late now, BUT, in your first year there is an option to take a beginners spanish, german, french or italian course as one of your minors. I'm doing Spanish this year, and it's a little intense, with a whole lot of language majors in the class, but it's alright, and free! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending