The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sabby777
this might not be an interesting maths problem, but I find it hard and would appreciate a step by step guide as to how to approach and solve this problem

so it's simultaneous equations, -

x^2 + 4y^2 = 10
2y+3x =10

First of all, I'm sorry for the neg that I suspect some people will give you. However, this really ought to be in a separate thread, and not here.

Now, your question. Rearrange the second eqn to get y in terms of x, sub that into the first eqn, solve for y, sub into the 2nd eqn and solve for x.

If there are still some problems, I would encourage you to make a new thread, and feel free to quote me. (Since you're quite new, this can be done by pasting [noparse]
meatball893
x
[/noparse] into your post.)
Hey guys i'm putting up my pure maths paper that i wrote today. I've put up 3 questions so far and will put the rest up tomorrow. For any of you revising C1-C4 do try the questions. The board is different from what you normally know but the content should be the same. Good luck.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1635035
Reply 3022
Hi guys ok I wonder if you can help me...Im currently revising for D1 edexcel maths....im trying to check my past paper and have got the mark scheme but it hasn't helped as I need to actually see a diagram...its Q8d in the paper I have attached...mark scheme just says see overlay.....would be great if someone could help me by drawing a diagram or something to check to see if i have it right or even tell me!!!!! Thanks any help appreciated!!
Original post by am05317z
Hi guys ok I wonder if you can help me...Im currently revising for D1 edexcel maths....im trying to check my past paper and have got the mark scheme but it hasn't helped as I need to actually see a diagram...its Q8d in the paper I have attached...mark scheme just says see overlay.....would be great if someone could help me by drawing a diagram or something to check to see if i have it right or even tell me!!!!! Thanks any help appreciated!!

you need to post this in a new thread in the main maths help section.
What is everybody's philosophy of maths?
Original post by DeanK22

Provides better understanding of the environment around you, not always relating to maths......critical thinking and as a result, copious amounts of opinions in all affairs......
Reply 3026
Original post by DeanK22

Probably a Platonist if pushed, but the amount I care varies with how long it has been since I've read a philosophy book.
Reply 3027
Original post by DeanK22

i like playing games
Original post by DeanK22

Probably some kind of Platonist. Maybe. But also relativist, so maybe not. I need to read more about the philosophy of mathematics.
Reply 3029
I like to think that CH is either true or false. I suppose that makes me a Platonist.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DeanK22

http://www.timecube.com/
Fun fact: Every continuous real-valued function on [a,b](0,1)[a, b] \subset (0, 1) can be uniformly approximated by polynomials with integer coefficients.

Exercise: Start by showing that the constant 12\frac{1}{2} function may be so approximated. Then show that every real number may be so approximated.
Reply 3032
Reply 3033
Original post by The Muon
A little one which isn't massively mathematical but it quite nice.

You travel from A to B at a speed of 30m/s and then back at a different speed. What speed should you travel back if you wish the average speed of the whole journey to be 60m/s?

I heard it in the pub the other night and so I hope that I got the numbers right :tongue:

Would it not depend on the distance between A and B?
Reply 3034
Original post by ZeedoZee
Would it not depend on the distance between A and B?

No.
Reply 3035
Original post by Slumpy
No.

Ok I'm stumped. Give me a hint, how to approach the question and I'll try from there.:smile:
Reply 3036
Original post by ZeedoZee
Ok I'm stumped. Give me a hint, how to approach the question and I'll try from there.:smile:

Let the distance A to B be d. Work out the time it would take to get an average speed of the speed you want in terms of d. Then compare that to how much time you've already taken in the case given, and you'll spot something.
Did you lot see that the Collatz conjecture may have been proved?

Related:
I hope it's that guy from the nrich forums, he used to post every day about his progress and then get taken apart by all the clever regulars. Poor guy :frown: I hope it's him.
Original post by ziedj
I hope it's that guy from the nrich forums, he used to post every day about his progress and then get taken apart by all the clever regulars. Poor guy :frown: I hope it's him.

But isn't that better? I mean if he did resolve the conjecture, I would think it would be better to get it right when published rather than rush publication and get it horribly wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest