The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Miss my offer

I tried posting this in the thread "Ask a SOAS student anything" but nobody replied so i'll just try here.

My question is: If i miss my LLB Law offer by say 1 grade e.g. if i get AAB/ABB instead of AAA, if i phoned them up, how likely is it that they will still accept me?
My gut instinct is that it will be a fairly low chance since Law is a very competitive course...
Reply 1
Anyone?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
not sure about law but i had an offer there host hist/pol and when i asked how leniant they are they told me once you have an offer so longs you dont really screw up your alevles youre more or less guarenteed entry, they said one grade youd get in still and if you missed by two something about a 'near miss' pool of students. as for law though im not to sure it may/may not be the same.
Reply 3
I've heard this twice now, about being having 'guaranteed entry' once you hold an offer... i just hope if i miss by one grade they'll still let me in... i'd be grateful if someone actually doing law could tell me though. Thanks for the reply nonetheless!
Reply 4
Original post by Zainchawdry
I've heard this twice now, about being having 'guaranteed entry' once you hold an offer... i just hope if i miss by one grade they'll still let me in... i'd be grateful if someone actually doing law could tell me though. Thanks for the reply nonetheless!

I think that even a Law student couldn't really help you. SOAS really deals with applications case by case. You have a lot of students with unconventional qualifications. They'll look at your case I think, and they'll decide. There is no absolute law which they follow.
Reply 5
Yeah thats true, i do have a fair few other qualifications besides A-levels and GCSE's though...
Reply 6
I've been wondering about this too, SOAS seem to be "kind" but I guess it depends on the course, if more people met the expectations then I guess there is a slim chance of being allowed in, but it depends on the number of applicants and how everyone overall does on results day,
Reply 7
Yeah do you think if i get AAB they'd still let me in?
Reply 8
Yeah do you think if i get AAB they'd still let me in?

Depends on your university really and how far you were from your required grades. If you were a couple of marks away I'm sure you could tell them and they'll let you in. If you were a whole grade away then it might be different.
Reply 9
Original post by TLK
Depends on your university really and how far you were from your required grades. If you were a couple of marks away I'm sure you could tell them and they'll let you in. If you were a whole grade away then it might be different.

What about in regards to SOAS admissions?
Reply 10
What about in regards to SOAS admissions?

SOAS is generally more relaxed than most other top unis about slip ups in grade required. However, the Law department is probably the strictest with regards to this so you're walking a tightrope. Just get the grades man, still time to bang out some work and MERK.
Original post by LZRSWRD
SOAS is generally more relaxed than most other top unis about slip ups in grade required. However, the Law department is probably the strictest with regards to this so you're walking a tightrope. Just get the grades man, still time to bang out some work and MERK.

Haha yeah gotta merk these 3 exams off nicely!

Quick Reply