The Student Room Group

Tips on clutch/accelerator balance?

So I have been for my second driving lesson yesterday and am facing one major problem. When setting off from a static position on the road, I cannot get the balance when taking my foot off the clutch and touching the accelerator. I either put too many revs or too little revs on when gradually letting go of the clutch. Also, I let go of the clutch too early and the car 'jumps' forward, sometimes stalling it.

So any tips on mastering this aspect of driving?
Many thanks :colondollar:
Reply 1
Just have good control with your foot and press down sloooooowly.
Don't worry, you'll get it soon :wink:.
Firstly, I'm no pro (as I'm a learner too!).

But! It's just one of those things you get better at co-ordinating the more that you do it. Sure, the instructor might say 'bring up the clutch about the thickness of a pound coin slowly' etc, but it's actually quite hard to judge what that means until you get a feel for it.

You'll pick it up in time. I'm nearing my test (dunno if I'm actually ready lol!!) but sometimes I still misjudge clutch/revs leading to over-revs.
Reply 3
It's better to accelerate too hard rather than too little, causing the stall! Personally I always hated putting more acceleration in, especially doing hill starts, cos I hated the sound of the car revving too much. I raise the clutch until I feel the car wanting to go, THEN put the acceleration in. On hill starts, I hated it haha. But now when I reach the point where the car wants to move, my acceleration is already working itself in and I get a smooth start. (:

But yeah, like above, it'll all come with time really. You're only on your second lesson. Honestly, you'll get only too used to it, and after you've passed you won't even think about it! It sounds like you're picking it up already.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Time. It took me over a month to get the hang of it. But too much revs is better than too little. Always!

<3 x
Reply 5
I didn't get my clutch control sorted until after I passed my test and started driving! Don't feel like you're failing anything because it does take a while to master. When you're ready to go, bring up your clutch halfway up slowly, and stop halfway - you stall by bringing your clutch up too much. while bringing your clutch up, slowly press down on the accelerator as well, and when you have reached biting point then you can press harder on the accelerator (not too hard!) and bring you're clutch up fully. Second lesson, don't push yourself too hard with trying to master it. Seriously had so many clutch problems whilst I took lessons, I just did not understand how to use it, and after I passed my test from driving regularly you get more used to it and can work the balance better. :smile:
give it 5000 revs and then bring up the clutch as quickly as you want :wink:
Reply 7
Thanks for all the advice! It's gonna help :biggrin:
You need to reach the bite point and keep your foot there while you press the gas. After the car starts moving (but properly moving! Not almost stopping!) you can remove your foot from the clutch.
Reply 9
My instructor taught me to find biting point, press accelerator to 1.5 rev. hand brake off then take foot off clutch slowly. You will get the hang of it
Reply 10
Yeah as others have said, it's the sort of thing you'll really improve with practice.

Just make sure you give a healthy amount of gas. Don't worry if it's 'too much', as long as it's not ridiculous and burning the clutch to shreds no harm will be done. Then as you get a better feel for it, you can give less power to give a more relaxed and more refined start.

Be really slow with the clutch pedal. The majority of the clutch's work happens over a very short distance of travel. You may find it helpful to think of holding the clutch steady at the biting point for a moment whilst everything stabilises up. Be delicate and sensitive - don't rush anything. There's no hurry. If you need to make a more brisk start, give more power rather than more clutch.

But I'm sure things will come along fine, and if there are any specific problems then your instructor will be the best person to help with them.
I know it's way too late but let the clutch go half way and wait till car starts moving then accelerate while letting go the clutch
Initially u cn apply gas(very little) while holding clutch and then slowly release the clutchBetter release the clutch very slowly and hold the clutch at half(half clutch) when ur car just starts moving slowly release the clutch fully

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending