The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randombelle
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Just got an email from Slade!!!!!!!!!!!!! INTERVIEW!!!!!! hehehehehehehehehe(I promise i'm not happy!!!!)

aaaah :biggrin: such a well done!!! :banana:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Just got an email from Slade!!!!!!!!!!!!! INTERVIEW!!!!!! hehehehehehehehehe(I promise i'm not happy!!!!)

I'm not going to pretend I'm not mega-jealous, but well done! :smile:
Here is my portfolio if anyone fancies a nosy, I think some of you may have already seen it :smile: It's a bit different to the cool ones ive seen on here but nevertheless, I guess diversity is the beauty of art.

www.flickr.com/oliviabambrough

and OMG congrats on the Slade interview!
Hey, by the way (this is to everyone), if anyone has had to send/take a "short" essay either for an online portfolio or an interview, roughly how many words was/is it?

I have an interview at NTU in a week, and they asked for a "short critical essay". I've been writing one especially for this, but it just seems really unfocused and not very impressive. I really don't want to spend forever on it, and I found the Word document for what I wrote on my LCA postcard (basically a mini analytical essay). It's only 454 words, though, but it's a lot better than the one I've been writing. I can pad it out a bit more since I wrote it to fit on an A6 postcard, but again, I don't want to spend forever on it.

Any ideas? :smile:

Thankyou so much! And for the tattoo ones

Congratulations to the person with Slade interview :smile:
Reply 745
Yo! Does anyone know the deadline date for submitting full portfolio to Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art (Dundee Uni)? Having a tough time finding a date online..
Original post by Village Whisper
Hey, by the way (this is to everyone), if anyone has had to send/take a "short" essay either for an online portfolio or an interview, roughly how many words was/is it?

I have an interview at NTU in a week, and they asked for a "short critical essay". I've been writing one especially for this, but it just seems really unfocused and not very impressive. I really don't want to spend forever on it, and I found the Word document for what I wrote on my LCA postcard (basically a mini analytical essay). It's only 454 words, though, but it's a lot better than the one I've been writing. I can pad it out a bit more since I wrote it to fit on an A6 postcard, but again, I don't want to spend forever on it.

Any ideas? :smile:

That's really weird, because they pride themselves on not doing a lot of theory :/ I think you'll be good with the postcard one to be honest, maybe expand on a few of your points a bit?
Reply 747
Original post by Farout
I understand what your saying, applying to fine art is unpredictable because it is subjective. Many fully qualified students get rejected, and that's probably the same with medicine..

But if you feel so strongly about the Slade, why did you apply?

I don't think my comment suggests whether or not I feel stongly about Slade. Just an observation. If you could go around experiencing every University for real, only then would you get an idea about what they are really like. As for me, I made choices based on what I could aspire to, realistically get, and maybe one for if I was run over by a bus.

The doubts I have about studying in London come from my brother who is there, and so I have had feedback about the London Unis. Had a think about how they get their funding, and so on.. you would really have to like big City and and eclectic lifestyle, so my thoughts are torn. One of my parents did a Masters back in the 80's at LSE, and she said it was not all it was hyped up to be. Very anonymous.
are your parents lesbeens

OH MY GOD CONGRATULATIONS! I'm SO ****ing jealous. Exactly when did you hear? This makes me all obsessive again. ;___;

Oh, are we sharing some nice art tumblrs? Thanks for those, Ham_Sandwich.

I have some ones I like to look at as well:

http://bluebirdsfloat.tumblr.com/
http://fourwhitehorses.tumblr.com/
Reply 750
been following this thread for a while out of anxiety, decided to take the plunge and post something.

ive applied for slade, glasgow, edinborough and newcastle, along with the camberwell foundation. got an offer from newcastle but yet to hear back from anywhere else - bricking it for slade. has anyone heard back from glasgow painting and printmaking?

this is a random selection of stuff from my portfolio -

http://minarosawaite.tumblr.com/
Reply 751
Original post by kaylafrances
are your parents lesbeens

R U thick?
Thanks! Yeh- Sadly, they're mine! :s I really don't have a life do I?! lol I'll repost my Deviantart- all comments are much appreciated!

http://angelinetta.deviantart.com/

Hi, being nosey on your deviantart.. noticed you had an Edinburgh interview. Is that for painting?.. second year entry? I still haven't heard anything since submitting my portfolio online.

Btw.. photo realistic paintings are pretty impressive. That must of taken a lot of skill!
Original post by mrosa
been following this thread for a while out of anxiety, decided to take the plunge and post something.

ive applied for slade, glasgow, edinborough and newcastle, along with the camberwell foundation. got an offer from newcastle but yet to hear back from anywhere else - bricking it for slade. has anyone heard back from glasgow painting and printmaking?

WOW! :biggrin: talent!
Original post by cocacola123
Hi, being nosey on your deviantart.. noticed you had an Edinburgh interview. Is that for painting?.. second year entry? I still haven't heard anything since submitting my portfolio online.

Btw.. photo realistic paintings are pretty impressive. That must of taken a lot of skill!

The Edinburgh Interview is for the 5 Year MA- Found out about it today!! :smile: yay
I applied in early September and submitted my folio by october so was very early- may be why I heard early

And thanks- they took AGES!! I've officially decided I don't have a life!! :smile:
Original post by mrosa

Some interesting work there. I'm assuming, then, that you haven't done a foundation? I've applied to Slade as well, still waiting. :banghead: Good luck!
Original post by mrosa
has anyone heard back from glasgow painting and printmaking?/

i have an interview for fine art photo and ive heard of interviews for product design, architecture and textiles but no news on anyone hearing back for painting and printmaking yet, hav two friends who've applied and are bricking it :smile:
Reply 757
Original post by Princeling
Some interesting work there. I'm assuming, then, that you haven't done a foundation? I've applied to Slade as well, still waiting. :banghead: Good luck!

Yeah no im doing a-level, to be honest though alot of my friends are doing foundations and though i think they are really valuable i want to get straight down to degree. Did you apply for BA/BFA for Slade?

and joverbena - thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 758
Original post by rayray12310
i have an interview for fine art photo and ive heard of interviews for product design, architecture and textiles but no news on anyone hearing back for painting and printmaking yet, hav two friends who've applied and are bricking it :smile:

haha thanks good to know - i think the painting/printmaking interviews are the last ones. getting so anxious waiting though! well done though and good luck for your interview!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 759
Thanks! Yeh- Sadly, they're mine! :s I really don't have a life do I?! lol I'll repost my Deviantart- all comments are much appreciated!

http://angelinetta.deviantart.com/

Good god - those Jenny Saville paintings are mind bogling :eek: !!!! Good luck with Slade :smile: Congrats on Lancaster and Newcastle - I hear that Newcastle is really good for Fine Art (ranked highly and I hear good things).

Quick Reply

Latest