The Student Room Group

why are there so many people collecting degrees?

I met someone the other day who took a first degree in Cambridge, then MSc, then phD at Imperial and then MBA at London Business School. what is the point of it all and, most importantly, WHERE DO THEY GET THE MONEY FROM?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by migeon
I met someone the other day who took a first degree in Cambridge, then MSc, then phD at Imperial and then MBA at London Business School. what is the point of it all and, most importantly, WHERE DO THEY GET THE MONEY FROM?

Why didn't you just ask that person when you met him? If he was happy to tell a stranger about his degrees, presumably he wouldn't have minded explaining why he took them and where he got the money from...
Reply 2
Daddy's credit card most likely!
To learn, to grow, to improve career prospects.
Reply 4
Original post by migeon

Maybe when he studied the fees were lower/there were no fees? Maybe his employer sponsored him through the MBA? :redface: The point is he could have been loaded but he could have also gotten scholarships, etc, so your question is perhaps something that you should have directed at the bloke himself? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by HighestKungFu

Oh boy.
"I admire your relentless drive to further your education and avoid real work."

This meme popped into my head, didn't post the picture meme because mods are clearly out to get me :ninja:

But yeah, they probably just like to study, but even so I would think after getting a PhD there isn't much point.
(edited 12 years ago)
The job market is rubbish and they have the free time and money to spend their lives at university to stave off having to join the thousands trying to find work?

Some people just enjoy education and never actually plan to work, he might be like that :dontknow: Unless you ask the person in question you'll never know.
Apart from the MBA I'm the same.

BSc = student loan
MSc = took a year out and paid for it myself
PhD = funded

Most MBA's require a fair bit of 'real world' experience, a lot of companies fund their staff to get them if they feel they're necessary.
knowledge is power. I'd rather have knowledge than be a low paid drone for the rest of my life.
I was talking to my friend about this just a couple of hours ago, after our tutor said she's done 'a few' undergrad degrees.

I find that a bit odd. Fair enough, continuing studying a subject you're passionate about to PHD level etc.. but multiple undergrads? Not too sure..
Reply 11
Well most rich people rarely retire so enjoying the student life as much as possible is a good idea considering degrees don't go to waste with the right connections.
Besides you start at 18 so if you don't fail you can have a PHD by 25. Sounds like the right age to start working imo.
why not defer real life for as long as possible? i thought that was the point of uni..
Reply 13
Original post by HighestKungFu

Not necessarily. You can find yourself in cases where you're "over qualified".
Reply 14
You don't need both a phd and a MBA. Surely???
Original post by Daydreamer18
I was talking to my friend about this just a couple of hours ago, after our tutor said she's done 'a few' undergrad degrees.

I find that a bit odd. Fair enough, continuing studying a subject you're passionate about to PHD level etc.. but multiple undergrads? Not too sure..

Why?
Original post by Claudine
Studying is easier than working...

I peronally disagree lol. My reasons for this is because with studying you always have the pressure of doing well in exams/coursework while with work this isn't as evident. Also when you've settled in a job you pretty much know how everything works however when studying you can sometimes have trouble understanding/remembering everything which can lead to great frustration/stress etc.
Reply 17
Original post by morecambebay
Why?

Most grad schemes don't require a specific under grad so doing more than one isn't very useful
Reply 18
If you do some research and look at the CEO's, managing directors, and high end managers of global firms they all have undergraduate degrees, masters, PhD's and MBA's.

Experience is king but underpinned beneath that is a lot of knowledge.
Reply 19
Original post by migeon

Clearly it's for the student lifestyle. School is way more fun than the real world, lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending