The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
Original post by aj2010
Congrats again.!!!! You're definitely on a roll :P :smile: Totally deserve it!:smile:

Thank you very much :smile: Have you decided on your firm then?
Original post by myyrh
This is taken from their Admissions technical manual. UKCAT test results are used alongside the academic information provided on the UCAS form in order to select candidates for interview. Applicants who apply using grades that have already been achieved need not sit the UKCAT. Peninsula have a very transparent admissions process. As long as you meet their minimum requirements at GCSE, you are ranked by A2 predictions/grades and UKCAT. If you have predicted grades, you must meet the overall and individual UKCAT cutoffs. Anyone with achieved grades already in hand need not meet the cut off.

have you got a link for this please mate? because i couldnt find this info on their website

thank you
Reply 1302
Original post by undertaker1
have you got a link for this please mate? because i couldnt find this info on their website

thank you

Sure man, here you go https://wombat.pcmd.ac.uk/document_manager/documents/files/registry/Selection__Admissions_Technical_Manual_2011-12.pdf
:smile:
So who is revising with me to get those grades???!!
Reply 1304
Original post by areyousure?
So who is revising with me to get those grades???!!

Me :biggrin: I'm living and breathing Chemistry atm :tongue: Have you decided what is your first choice yet?
Original post by myyrh
Me :biggrin: I'm living and breathing Chemistry atm :tongue: Have you decided what is your first choice yet?

sameee!! trying to get 8 hours a day, but not working lol No not yet, I need to sort out my modules first I think!... what about you ?
Reply 1306
sameee!! trying to get 8 hours a day, but not working lol No not yet, I need to sort out my modules first I think!... what about you ?

Wow 8 hours :eek: How many exams do you have in June? Probably going to firm Liverpool :smile:
Original post by myyrh
Wow 8 hours :eek: How many exams do you have in June? Probably going to firm Liverpool :smile:

I have 5 and trying to get another resit so that will make it 6 but my centre is not very nice :P and now that the deadline is over an its late entry fees or whatever I don't know how to ask I want to have do another resit more. Especially after I got told there was no point in even resitting again after Jan results regardless of my offer :frown: lol

Liverpool is awesome!
Well done and good luck to everyone who has managed to get an offer following re-sits. A real achievement. I know what it's like having gone, and continuing to go, through the re-sit scenario with my son. Reading all your stories and advice gives me a little hope that there might be light at the end of a very long tunnel for him.

His story is long and complicated but he crux of it is he has done some resits so he's limited in the universities he can apply to. He applied to med school for the first time this year and the universities he applied to included Liverpool. He was unsuccessful but intends to reapply next year for entry in 2013.

Please can anyone give some advice about their Liverpool application. My son was told by Liverpool that he needed to reflect on his resit and what he learnt from it in his personal statement. He obviously didn't do enough as he was rejected without interview. How much did you write about it - a paragraph- and did you go into it in depth? I'd really appreciate the benefit of your experience so that when he reapplies this year he gives himself the best chance possible of success.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1309
Original post by Pick up the pieces
Well done and good luck to everyone who has managed to get an offer following re-sits. A real achievement. I know what it's like having gone, and continuing to go, through the re-sit scenario with my son. Reading all your stories and advice gives me a little hope that there might be light at the end of a very long tunnel for him.

His story is long and complicated but he crux of it is he has done some resits so he's limited in the universities he can apply to. He applied to med school for the first time this year and the universities he applied to included Liverpool. He was unsuccessful but intends to reapply next year for entry in 2013.

Please can anyone give some advice about their Liverpool application. My son was told by Liverpool that he needed to reflect on his resit and what he learnt from it in his personal statement. He obviously didn't do enough as he was rejected without interview. How much did you write about it - a paragraph- and did you go into it in depth? I'd really appreciate the benefit of your experience so that when he reapplies this year he gives himself the best chance possible of success.

I'm a bit confused because you say he applied this year for the first time. Is he on a gap year this year or is he still in year 13 resitting some modules?
Myrrh

Thanks for your request for more info. Sorry I tried to get your message into this post but I'm new to this game and unsure how you do things!

Sorry I didn't give all the facts. He's on his second gap year and looks like he's going to have another one. The story is quite complicated. I will privately post you with all the details if you're up for a saga.

He resat the exams he didn't do well in the following Jan after he left school, he did this independently whilst he was working. He now has the equivalent of 1A* 2 As and 1 B at A Level. He did not do Chemistry so has gone back to College to do an A level in one year. He's predicted an A. He applied for the first time to medicine this year (entry 2012) but received 4 rejections. His UK CAT score was

I hope this helps.
Reply 1311
Myrrh

Thanks for your request for more info. Sorry I tried to get your message into this post but I'm new to this game and unsure how you do things!

Sorry I didn't give all the facts. He's on his second gap year and looks like he's going to have another one. The story is quite complicated. I will privately post you with all the details if you're up for a saga.

He resat the exams he didn't do well in the following Jan after he left school, he did this independently whilst he was working. He now has the equivalent of 1A* 2 As and 1 B at A Level. He did not do Chemistry so has gone back to College to do an A level in one year. He's predicted an A. He applied for the first time to medicine this year (entry 2012) but received 4 rejections. His UK CAT score was

I hope this helps.

I have sent you a private message :smile:
Original post by myyrh
I have sent you a private message :smile:

Thanks Myrhh

I've sent you a private message too :smile: Thanks for taking the time to read it. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks Myrhh

I've sent you a private message too :smile: Thanks for taking the time to read it. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks for your private response Myrhh. Lots of really useful and sensible information.

I do think that the odds are stacked against my son but I'll continue to help him gather as much information as possible so that if he fails to get in next year at least he will know he has given it his very best shot.

Good luck with you medicine course. You sound like a really decent person who will no doubt make a great doctor.:smile:
Well that's it, the end of the 2012 application cycle and no medicine offers. Who's in the same boat as me and what are you planning on doing?
Original post by the_alybot
Well that's it, the end of the 2012 application cycle and no medicine offers. Who's in the same boat as me and what are you planning on doing?

I am also in this boat.

I've decided its time to go the way of the graduate. Pharmacy degree here I come :h:. Looking forward to September! :tongue:

Yourself?
Original post by Doctor.
I am also in this boat.

I've decided its time to go the way of the graduate. Pharmacy degree here I come :h:. Looking forward to September! :tongue:

Yourself?

I've decided to go the graduate route too but the thought of another gap year is hovering in my mind. I've got an offer for Optometry at City University London but I'm not sure whether to take it because they're asking A*AA and I realistically don't think that's attainable so I've been having a gander at what's in Extra whilst still being on the fence about whether to take my Optometry offer or not ARGH.

What would you recommend? :smile:
Original post by Doctor.
I am also in this boat.

Yourself?

It will work out at the end, I'm sure!! So you going for Liverpool?
Reply 1318
I'm going to work as an HCA and apply AGAIN (3rd time). I think they're going to start expecting my application every year...

If this doesn't work, I'll do another degree first.
It will work out at the end, I'm sure!! So you going for Liverpool?

Yeah :smile:

What going on with you then? Medicine? :sexface:

Which uni?! :smile:

Latest