The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone find that being awake all night is quite a lonely thing? I can never sleep at night and it means I just sit with my thoughts and feel bad about stuff....

Then in the day I'm always too tired and grumpy to socialize with anyone anyway
Original post by squiff93
Does anyone find that being awake all night is quite a lonely thing? I can never sleep at night and it means I just sit with my thoughts and feel bad about stuff....

Then in the day I'm always too tired and grumpy to socialize with anyone anyway

Try writing/typing your thoughts out? I find it helps to get them down on paper and out of my head. Allows me to sort of distance myself from them until I'm ready to start worrying about them again :biggrin:
Reply 9742
Original post by Transcendence
Then go to bed earlier, and wake up earlier.

Spoken through experience there :yy:
Original post by Anonymous
Try writing/typing your thoughts out? I find it helps to get them down on paper and out of my head. Allows me to sort of distance myself from them until I'm ready to start worrying about them again :biggrin:

Ah yeah I've just done that :smile: it helps but often my thoughts turn into me insulting myself and writing rules for myself in order to become 'a good person'
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by superwolf

Spoiler

Firstly... :jumphug: You're wonderful to reply to so many messages and I really hope you're okay?

Spoiler

Thanks Superwolf. :jumphugs:
Ah yeah I've just done that :smile: it helps but often my thoughts turn into me insulting myself and writing rules for myself in order to become 'a good person'

I have tried that. I can't manage to sleep for more than 3 hours without waking up no matter what. Even when I went to school and so got up at half six each day I would wake up constantly throughout the night.

I'm in the same position and when I get like this I feel like there's nothing I can do to distract myself from my thoughts. I've tried comedy films or reading but I just can't concentrate on anything else.

Sorry just realised how massively unhelpful that was. I have found that if i get out of bed for a bit and do a task like ironing or plucking my eyebrows or doing my nails, sometimes with the tv on quietly in the background can actually help. The worse thing to do is just lie there.
(edited 11 years ago)
I can't sleep because I'm so damn angry.

Mentally unstable... This is what I am, apparently. Nice to know that my so called friends are throwing that around twitter and the like about me...

Friends no more! I tell one person and now everyone knows and all of a sudden my depression has turned into me being 'massively mentally unstable' ... god..I've been living with it for months... When did I supposedly flip and become unstable eh? Some people just do not understand at all do they!

I ..I don't even know what to say..I'm just angry :frown:
Original post by dottylottie
I'm in the same position and when I get like this I feel like there's nothing I can do to distract myself from my thoughts. I've tried comedy films or reading but I just can't concentrate on anything else.

Yeah I used to go on walks with my ipod, which i did find quite helpful, just to feel kind of more free and the cold air and stars kind of help, but typically I've left that at home :angry:. I called my Mum tonight and told her I needed to be collected from Uni asap because I can't cope. So hopefully that'll help me.

Original post by Transcendence
Eat/drink more before exercising. Do something fun, like swimming. Thinking negative thoughts is the same as wasting time, you might aswell be thinking about nothing. Think about other things more relevant like the general relativity.. Or something like that :smile:

Out of interest why have you decided to start giving useful advice now rather than the more sarcy advice further up the thread? I think you think too black and white, sometimes the logical answer doesn't work. And yeah I fainted because I hadn't eaten, but I'm struggling with that at the moment so it's kind of hard. I think I will probably exercise tomorrow though :smile: hopefully play badminton or something thats quite fun.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah I used to go on walks with my ipod, which i did find quite helpful, just to feel kind of more free and the cold air and stars kind of help, but typically I've left that at home :angry:. I called my Mum tonight and told her I needed to be collected from Uni asap because I can't cope. So hopefully that'll help me.

Out of interest why have you decided to start giving useful advice now rather than the more sarcy advice further up the thread? I think you think too black and white, sometimes the logical answer doesn't work. And yeah I fainted because I hadn't eaten, but I'm struggling with that at the moment so it's kind of hard. I think I will probably exercise tomorrow though :smile: hopefully play badminton or something thats quite fun.

*huggles* I know that feeling.
Doctor's appointment tomorrow. Oh **** , it's today. :afraid:

Hope your ok :frown: I actually just quit uni after 2 years because that phone call kept happening and I realised I wasn't in a place to continue studying. That was only because my depression got worse for other reasons though. In my 1st year little and often vists home really boosted me and kept me going so I hope your feel better tomorrow :smile:
Original post by diamonddust
*huggles* I know that feeling.

awh thanks :smile: I have an appointment on friday with the mental health team so annoyingly i can't be picked up till friday, but friday is better than never. I'm so scared about going home though, but I think I desperately need to get away from this place! Especially because my mum says shes recorded lots of episodes of the bill for me to watch on sky + EVEN MORE REASON TO GO HOME! Frikkin love the bill :colondollar:

i hope things are okay with you. Remember if you ever need to talk you can pm me. *HUGSSSSSSSSSS*

xxx
Hope your ok :frown: I actually just quit uni after 2 years because that phone call kept happening and I realised I wasn't in a place to continue studying. That was only because my depression got worse for other reasons though. In my 1st year little and often vists home really boosted me and kept me going so I hope your feel better tomorrow :smile:

Thanks :smile: I've never been good about talking to my mum about depression and the other issues I have - which started the depression in the first place. So eventhough I want to drop out of Uni I don't think I ever could. I'm not in the right place at the moment but I am to focus on this over summer and try to come back to uni next year with a fresh start. In saying this I did say I was going to start revising over the easter holidays - and I haven't actually started yet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks :smile: I've never been good about talking to my mum about depression and the other issues I have - which started the depression in the first place. So eventhough I want to drop out of Uni I don't think I ever could. I'm not in the right place at the moment but I am to focus on this over summer and try to come back to uni next year with a fresh start. In saying this I did say I was going to start revising over the easter holidays - and I haven't actually started yet.

I'd never advise anyone to drop out it was literally last resort for me. As long as your doing a course you enjoy and you have at least a few people there to support you, you should be fine :smile: as for revising last min cramming is always the way to go :smile:
I'd never advise anyone to drop out it was literally last resort for me. As long as your doing a course you enjoy and you have at least a few people there to support you, you should be fine :smile: as for revising last min cramming is always the way to go :smile:

haha cramming would be a lot easier if i'd gone to any lectures i feel :rolleyes: live and learn!

Ohwell it's only first year, if i get a third I will have learnt from my mistakes.... and go to lectures next year. Next year will be more interesting haha and i'll be a more motivated individual :tongue:
Reply 9755
Original post by Phoenix07
haha well you managed to dig yourself out of calling me a cake quite well :smile:

Things can shake us up quite badly every now and again, its just part of life! Hope you don't have any more like that though hun, and I am glad you are feeling better for now!

I'll be fine though, it is nice to be able to be there for you every now and again, although I would obviously much rather you weren't feeling rubbish, but its nice being able to be there for other people too :hugs:

Hey, yep... Feeling better today. No nightmares last night.... Think my brain was too bugged to bother. How are you feeling today?
Reply 9756
Job interview this morning. Feeling anxious about it. :/
Original post by Delain
Job interview this morning. Feeling anxious about it. :/

Goodluck! Smile and seem friendly makes a good first impression I believe :smile:
Reply 9758
Goodluck! Smile and seem friendly makes a good first impression I believe :smile:

I'm gonna find that very hard how I'm feeling, let alone to even look at the person or know what to say.
Original post by Delain
I'm gonna find that very hard how I'm feeling, let alone to even look at the person or know what to say.

I understand, the other week I was hysterically crying before work because I have a sociable job and I just felt so down I didn't want to see or talk to anyone. It was a hard shift, but I got through it, and I'm glad I did, my friend offered to cover for me, but I persisted and it really paid off.

Sometimes I find closing my eyes for a bit and listening to music for a bit makes me feel stronger. You could try writing down what you'd want to say to them in response to questions about why you are suitable for the job ect.

Latest