The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Big Medicine UKCAT 2013 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I have the kaplan material if anybody wants? Included the 'understanding test day' booklet full of tips and explanations and 5 full practise tests. Also 600Q book. PM me if you're interested
Original post by highopes
I have the kaplan material if anybody wants? Included the 'understanding test day' booklet full of tips and explanations and 5 full practise tests. Also 600Q book. PM me if you're interested

Hey, i was just wondering..is it worth it to do the Kaplan course?
Reply 82
I want to sit UKCAT at the end of August, but if I get bad AS Results, I don't think I'm going to apply for medicine this year, so if I book the UKCAT can I cancel later on?

and whats the UKCAT bursary? Can someone tell me more about that?

thanks
Original post by 3raindrops
I want to sit UKCAT at the end of August, but if I get bad AS Results, I don't think I'm going to apply for medicine this year, so if I book the UKCAT can I cancel later on?

and whats the UKCAT bursary? Can someone tell me more about that?

thanks

You can, I think you need to do it a couple days in advance in order to ensure a refund, but check on the website just to make sure :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I think somebody should be generous for once and just scan all the kaplan stuff for us all to use for free then nobody will be extorted by them again. :smile:
Just as another note, does anybody else think that the UKCAT is seriously overpriced and that we shouldn't have to pay for one of the worst days of our lives?
I have the UKCAT 600 Questions that I want to get rid of as I have a place at medical school. It has been written in so will be selling it for cheap. Let me know if your interested!
Just seen this on the UKCAT website. Made me smile :smile:
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pdf/UKCATsampleid.pdf
Reply 88
I will have finished my postgrad course by then.

Also, will I be able to send off my UCAS application before sitting the UKCAT? I'm restricted to the universities that I can apply to because of my 2.2, and therefore have to apply to the 4 I have in mind regardless of how well or bad I do in the test.
Universities get access to UKCAT results way after you submit your application.

I remember this year it was late November/early December that they got ours due to some silly delay. So basically, try doing it early just to get it out of the way but it's not the end of the world if you do it in September/early October.
As long as those universities don't include Sheffield/ Manchester/ Newcastle it shouldn't matter anyway.
Original post by Lloyds
I will have finished my postgrad course by then.

Also, will I be able to send off my UCAS application before sitting the UKCAT? I'm restricted to the universities that I can apply to because of my 2.2, and therefore have to apply to the 4 I have in mind regardless of how well or bad I do in the test.

Well if your score doesn't influence your uni choices then it doesn't really matter when you sit it :tongue:

UKCAT scores are sent to unis direct from Pearson Vue around November i.e separate from your UCAS. The UCAS deadline is usually 15th October every year (give or take a day or so) and there is no advantage in sending it early.
Reply 92
Original post by PrismaticCore
Universities get access to UKCAT results way after you submit your application.

I remember this year it was late November/early December that they got ours due to some silly delay. So basically, try doing it early just to get it out of the way but it's not the end of the world if you do it in September/early October.

I'm very busy with my Masters at the moment, and will be working on my dissertation over the summer which is due early September. I don't want to jeapordise messing up my dissertation for the UKCAT which I could prepare for after submitting. I've already booked a few weeks of work experience booked too, so don't really have the time to prepare for the UKCAT then (I want to spend at least 3 weeks going over the 600 questions and KAPLAN booklet which I already have).
Reply 93
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Well if your score doesn't influence your uni choices then it doesn't really matter when you sit it :tongue:

UKCAT scores are sent to unis direct from Pearson Vue around November i.e separate from your UCAS. The UCAS deadline is usually 15th October every year (give or take a day or so) and there is no advantage in sending it early.

That's true, I was just wondering whether there's any disadvantage in the scores if you sit it in the ''expensive'' period.
Original post by Hippokrates
I think somebody should be generous for once and just scan all the kaplan stuff for us all to use for free then nobody will be extorted by them again. :smile:

This needs to happen.
Original post by Lloyds
That's true, I was just wondering whether there's any disadvantage in the scores if you sit it in the ''expensive'' period.

No :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by Lloyds

What do you mean? That they dock your score for sitting it later? In which case, no.

Sit it when it suits you best. That's the only thing that should influence you if cost isn't an issue.
Original post by sunny_veggies
This needs to happen.

Too bad those that have them want us to pay ridiculous amounts of money for them.
Original post by Hippokrates
Too bad those that have them want us to pay ridiculous amounts of money for them.

Haha, thats true :/
Oh well im sure we'll do just fine without them. There are some free resources on the Kaplan website but I havent looked at them so I dont know if they're any help yet! Good luck for when you take the ukcat!
Ive booked mine for late august :smile:

Probs not the best choice though, ill be spending all summer worrying about it :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending