The Student Room Group

Contact lenses

How much do your contact lenes cost? I'm currently on a lenscare plan with Scrivens which runs out soom, so I was wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy contact lenses off the internet? It currently costs me £20.00 a month for 5 pairs of lenses a week. They're dailys but not the super comfortable ones which moisturise themselves. Which makes me wonder, how much better are the self moisturising ones? Are they worth the money?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm £15 a month from Specsavers for one set of contacts that I can sleep in. I love them, they're very comfy and I really like being able to see when I wake up in the morning.
Reply 2
Original post by livefires
I'm £15 a month from Specsavers for one set of contacts that I can sleep in. I love them, they're very comfy and I really like being able to see when I wake up in the morning.

Are they like monthlys then? You don't have to take them out and clean them?
Reply 3
monthly set, 3 sets of lenses to last 3 months all together, usually make them last longer, £33 for all
Mine are £12 a month, they're continuous wear so that's just for one pair of contacts but you can keep them in overnight which is helpful
Reply 5
I pay about £10 for monthlies, but they have to be cleaned everyday. Looking at some of the prices here it might be worth paying an extra £2-3 to get ones that you can sleep in.
Reply 6
£18 p/month. 3 pairs of contact lenses (solution included) are posted to my house every 3 months at a certain date. Each pair last me a month... I take them out before bed and keep them in a container filled with the solution provided by Specsavers
Reply 7
Original post by Melikeyflute
Are they like monthlys then? You don't have to take them out and clean them?

Yeah, they're monthlies but they're continuous wear so I don't need to clean them. Sometimes they get a bit dry (in winter because the heating dries them out and in summer if I haven't drunk enough water) so I keep a small bottle of solution and a container for them if it gets to the point that my eyes need a break. In general though, I just give myself a day off between months.
Reply 8
Original post by livefires
Yeah, they're monthlies but they're continuous wear so I don't need to clean them. Sometimes they get a bit dry (in winter because the heating dries them out and in summer if I haven't drunk enough water) so I keep a small bottle of solution and a container for them if it gets to the point that my eyes need a break. In general though, I just give myself a day off between months.

Where do you get your lenses from, which particular model? I'm due for my next set :tongue: Do they cause any discomfort at all? Do you eyes feel tired with them in, with mine my eyes get quite 'tired' after wearing them and go slightly red.
Reply 9
Original post by crocker710
Mine are £12 a month, they're continuous wear so that's just for one pair of contacts but you can keep them in overnight which is helpful

Do you buy them off the internet? Are they quite thick because mine are like paper thin. I heard that with the ones you keep in, you're more inclined to get an infection, has this ever occurred for you?

Also, those who say they are on specsavers, are you allowed to have an eye checkup any time?
Mine are £35 for 30 pairs of daily lenses. My monthly ones used to cost about £20 and then solutions which was maybe another £10-£15. Stupid needing toric lenses!

Oh, and I changed to dailies as I don't wear my contacts every day now - too lazy for that so glasses most of the time!
Cibavision dailies from Vision Express I think were the cheapest available there but they tried selling me like the most expensive too wtf so I was like erm naw! I tried out the monthly ones which were like £20/month of some yellow packet. Can get student discount too, I'd just go for the cheapest in store as it didn't make much difference to me tbh compared to "recommended"
Reply 12
Original post by hash007
Where do you get your lenses from, which particular model? I'm due for my next set :tongue: Do they cause any discomfort at all? Do you eyes feel tired with them in, with mine my eyes get quite 'tired' after wearing them and go slightly red.

I get them from Specsavers and they're the easyvision aquaeyes lenses. I've tried all of the continuous wear lenses that Specsavers do because about 18 months ago they changed the aquaeyes lenses slightly and my eyes got very itchy in them! They've since made another change to them though and my eyes feel so much better in them now!

I must admit that by the end of the month, my eyes sometimes do start to feel tired in them but that's usually when I give myself a day/night off. If it's really close to when I'd change them then I just start on the new set but if there's still a week or so to go then I put the old ones back in. I've never had my eyes get even slightly red from wearing them.
Reply 13
Original post by Melikeyflute
Also, those who say they are on specsavers, are you allowed to have an eye checkup any time?

They take me in every 6 months for a lens check but I can make an appointment whenever I want if I think there's something not quite right. I did that when they changed the solution that my lenses came in and my eyes got really itchy as a result. I ended up trying just about every set of continuous wear lenses they offer on 2 week trials! It wasn't a problem though, they just took the date of the final trial (when I was finally happy with the lenses) as being the lens check and saw me again 6 months later.
Original post by hothedgehog
Mine are £35 for 30 pairs of daily lenses. My monthly ones used to cost about £20 and then solutions which was maybe another £10-£15. Stupid needing toric lenses!

Oh, and I changed to dailies as I don't wear my contacts every day now - too lazy for that so glasses most of the time!

sounds about right, dailies maybe work out cheaper than monthly as they already come with solution... can't remember if I have toric tbh as different opticians keep changing their mind about whether I have stigmatism :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Silicone hydrogel contact lenses were the ones i was thinking of!
I think ive got the best deal, they are dailys you get all brands available £12 moisterize and they used to be less than £12 until recently nothing bad to say about them. The best thing is after a night out you can just flick them out (lazy i know) and get a fresh pair in the morning :smile:

http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/
I don't buy online as I expect customer service tbh and wear glasses, only wear these if going out or wanting to wear shades or doing something wear I can't wear specs http://www.visionexpress.com/contact-lenses/daily/3060/?page=page=1/12/now-price/asc but I'm thinking to not wear glasses unless when contacts are off and to buy a year supply of these instead as it works out better http://www.visionexpress.com/contact-lenses/monthly/2296/?page=page=1/48/now-price/asc
I buy mine online. Monthlies (the kind that go in solution every night). £18 for 3 pairs (so £6 a pair lasting a month).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Does anyone know if its possible to buy a single pair of contacts from a high street optician? I mean daily disposables?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending