The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by TheShore
http://www.science20.com/planetbye/volcanic_eruptions_science_and_risk_management-79456

I think detailing about different systems used to detect ash clouds,and their span might help but I'm struggling to think of anything else the authorities did-that link might help though.

I'm a bit confused, was this case study, Eyjafjallajokull an example of success management? Or was it a case of bad management as airplane activity was
stopped?
Reply 901
Original post by d_aan
I'm a bit confused, was this case study, Eyjafjallajokull an example of success management? Or was it a case of bad management as airplane activity was
stopped?

Well i think it's debatable but if you explain your point of view and back it up with a few figures you can't really go wrong. For example there were no deaths due to plane crashes-so this is an example of good management as the priority of hazard management is to prevent deaths.

However the authorities might have overreacted by grounding flights across Europe,as some might say it was unnecessary in countries which were particularly far away from the incident itself...which left thousands stranded in airports and the economic impacts of this aswell.

But i personally think that it was a priority to prevent deaths,and they did so.
Reply 902
Original post by TheShore
Well i think it's debatable but if you explain your point of view and back it up with a few figures you can't really go wrong. For example there were no deaths due to plane crashes-so this is an example of good management as the priority of hazard management is to prevent deaths.

However the authorities might have overreacted by grounding flights across Europe,as some might say it was unnecessary in countries which were particularly far away from the incident itself...which left thousands stranded in airports and the economic impacts of this aswell.

But i personally think that it was a priority to prevent deaths,and they did so.

Ohh okay, that makes sense:smile:

I take it that it was the icelandic authorities who initiated a ''no fly zone' as I remember some air lines still wanting to fly because of the loss of revenue and flights.

Thanks - I guess it makes sense to research a bit more on what they did aftermath to clear up the gas spewed into the air :biggrin:
do you think eijafjallajokul would be suitable to compare with Nivardo Del Ruiz in 1985????
Reply 904
Original post by Keiran:.
London Docklands 1981-1998

Background information
-Decline due to decline in portside industries
-Docklands was derelict by 1950's
-Regenerated 8 1/2 square miles
-Has become a slight attraction

-Began in 1980's in a effort to reverse inner city decline
-Organisations got planning permission from local authorities
-Government money was used 4 billion of public money spent 12 bn private
-Refurbished 35,000 housing units and created 19,000 jobs

Social benifits
-10 million pounds spent on improving council housing
-Docklands sailing and water sports centre

Economic
More shop keepers in the area
190,000 new jobs

Criticisms
-People argues not enough jobs were created
-Lost huge sums of money for buying land that later fell in value (trigger happy)
-Democratic accountability was removed and people felt their feelings were -being ignored
-Locals felt physically secluded
-Intimidated by high rise buildings and bankers in the streets
-Lack of jobs that needed locals skills so unemplyment
-Anti LDDC vandalism

Right thats my revision for the night! Going out :wink: YOLO

The stats you gave are about the achievements of all Urban Development Corporations in the UK, not just about LDDC.

Here is what I have:
7.7b private investment attracted
30,000 new jobs, yet 20,000 were transfers
the construction of prestigious Canary Wharf business complext for 3.7b
only 5,700 homes owned by local authority were refurbished
22,000 new homes bult (mainly private ownership, too expensive for the locals to afford it)
DOcklands Light Railway opene din 1987, carrying 35,000 passengers a week.
72m spent on improving the environment
8m on social infrastructure
amount of people employed at the docklands inccreased by 42,000
Reply 905
Original post by smellycat123
do you think eijafjallajokul would be suitable to compare with Nivardo Del Ruiz in 1985????

Eyjafjalljokul case study seems not to be extensive enought to compare it with Nevado del Ruiz. I will just use the example of Eyj... to mention that impacts of volcanic activity are impossible to control even by MEDCs. Even though all necessary protective measures were taken as, for example, 500 local residents were evacuated. Yet they were unable to control the fact that meltwater from glacier mixed with ash and led to the paralysis of the entire Europe in terms of air traffic. The loss in GDP, as a result of many airports of northern and central Europe being closed, was 2.7bn. The airports lost 80m, 400,000 Britons were waiting on the airports, almost 107,000 flights were cancelled.

I hope you realise I used it as a revision.
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any prediction for: Ecosystem: Change and Challenge
whether this is for the essay or the 7,8 and 10 markers

Reply 907
Does anybody else think the infamous "No Development without Security and No Security without Development" could come up under Development and Globalisation - despite it being asked in the Conflicts unit, two papers ago?
Original post by d_aan
Does anybody else think the infamous "No Development without Security and No Security without Development" could come up under Development and Globalisation - despite it being asked in the Conflicts unit, two papers ago?

I doubt it because it's not part of the development/globalisation syllabus - even though it does have the world development in it haha! plus it's already come up?
Original post by alicex3
I've done the exact same as you haha, going to miss out weather and climate and only do world cities, globalisation and plate tectonics
PRAYING for good questions haha

Original post by 05keenhannah
hey :smile: dont worry!! i only revised 3! its fine cos you may not have a choice for human but you will still get to choose out of 2 human essays and one will probably be easier than the other! it'll be fine!!
x

Lol yeah I'm hoping so :smile: I just think it would be more productive to nail the three topics that I actually understand rather than revising ecosystems which totally frazzles my brain. I think its partly to do with the fact that our teacher for that unit isn't great, she just kind of puts things on the board, tells us to copy them down, and then do the summary questions in the textbooks- nothing went in!
But, yup, fingers crossed! :biggrin:
Reply 910
Original post by Keiran:.
London Docklands 1981-1998

Background information
-Decline due to decline in portside industries
-Docklands was derelict by 1950's
-Regenerated 8 1/2 square miles
-Has become a slight attraction

-Began in 1980's in a effort to reverse inner city decline
-Organisations got planning permission from local authorities
-Government money was used 4 billion of public money spent 12 bn private
-Refurbished 35,000 housing units and created 19,000 jobs

Social benifits
-10 million pounds spent on improving council housing
-Docklands sailing and water sports centre

Economic
More shop keepers in the area
190,000 new jobs

Criticisms
-People argues not enough jobs were created
-Lost huge sums of money for buying land that later fell in value (trigger happy)
-Democratic accountability was removed and people felt their feelings were -being ignored
-Locals felt physically secluded
-Intimidated by high rise buildings and bankers in the streets
-Lack of jobs that needed locals skills so unemplyment
-Anti LDDC vandalism

Right thats my revision for the night! Going out :wink: YOLO

Original post by Kwak
The stats you gave are about the achievements of all Urban Development Corporations in the UK, not just about LDDC.

Here is what I have:
7.7b private investment attracted
30,000 new jobs, yet 20,000 were transfers
the construction of prestigious Canary Wharf business complext for 3.7b
only 5,700 homes owned by local authority were refurbished
22,000 new homes bult (mainly private ownership, too expensive for the locals to afford it)
DOcklands Light Railway opene din 1987, carrying 35,000 passengers a week.
72m spent on improving the environment
8m on social infrastructure
amount of people employed at the docklands inccreased by 42,000

thank you :smile:
Original post by Kwak
Eyjafjalljokul case study seems not to be extensive enought to compare it with Nevado del Ruiz. I will just use the example of Eyj... to mention that impacts of volcanic activity are impossible to control even by MEDCs. Even though all necessary protective measures were taken as, for example, 500 local residents were evacuated. Yet they were unable to control the fact that meltwater from glacier mixed with ash and led to the paralysis of the entire Europe in terms of air traffic. The loss in GDP, as a result of many airports of northern and central Europe being closed, was 2.7bn. The airports lost 80m, 400,000 Britons were waiting on the airports, almost 107,000 flights were cancelled.

I hope you realise I used it as a revision.

Ooh okay thank you :smile: Can you suggest another erruption that might be more suitable to compare to Nivardo del Ruiz??
Reply 912
Original post by smellycat123
Ooh okay thank you :smile: Can you suggest another erruption that might be more suitable to compare to Nivardo del Ruiz??

Mt Pintubo, Philippines - Also in a LEDC but you could compare the PPPR despite being in a LEDC, the effects were not as bad.
Reply 913
Original post by lewiswarby
I have just gone over Japan, because it is highly unlikely the 40 marker will be purely on tsunami's cause its not in the silibus.

doesn't it say - tsunamis causes and effects on the syllabus? :cool:
Reply 914
Original post by acedlol
**** me man.

Haven't even started. One topic a day. UGH FMLFMLFML

Gonna pray n spray when I open the exam paper.

you got psych next monday? unit 4?
Reply 915
Is mount etna suitable to compare with chaiten, chile?
Reply 916
Original post by scared!
you got psych next monday? unit 4?

Unit 3. Did 4 in January :frown:
Reply 917
Hi People,

Does any one know the topics that came up in January, particularly the essay questions for ecosystems and tectonics, also the shorter questions for tectonic ecosystems and world cities?

Thanks
Original post by d_aan
Mt Pintubo, Philippines - Also in a LEDC but you could compare the PPPR despite being in a LEDC, the effects were not as bad.

Ah yes good thinking! Thanks :smile:This might sound stupid but can i ask what PPPR is? haha
Reply 919
Hey
Not sure about ecosystems cause we don't do that but for world cities there were qs on counterurbanisation (11 marks), planning & management issues (12 marks), urban decline (10 marks) and sustainability (22 marks)

Hope this helps :smile: x

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire

Quick Reply

Latest