The Student Room Group

Which UK universities with the best campus and campus facilities?

Well, Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews and Durham (especially Cambridge) are medieval but are quite lovely universities and their facilities are fantastic.

Warwick is modern and high tech but also is an amazing campus facility over all.

Birmingham is huge but looks like a lot of money is poured into the university. Its campus set up is lovely. It compares very well with the best in the USA.

So, aside from Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and Birmingham, which other uni has an amazing campus?

I meant, which UK universities have the best campus and campus facilities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
Oxford and Cambridge don't have a campus.:rolleyes:
Reply 3
exeter has a pretty nice campus, if your into rolling hills and greenery.....
Reply 4
ILIGAN
Well, Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews and Durham (especially Cambridge) are medieval but are quite lovely universities and their facilities are fantastic.

Warwick is modern and high tech but also is an amazing campus facility over all.

Birmingham is huge but looks like a lot of money is poured into the university. Its campus set up is lovely. It compares very well with the best in the USA.

So, aside from Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and Birmingham, which other uni has an amazing campus?

Durham isn't medieval, there are also other universities older than it that you haven't included in your list.

To answer your question, how do you define "best"? I might want pretty surroundings, whereas you might want top-notch sports facilities.
Reply 5
ILIGAN

Most of those universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and St Andrews) aren't campus universities.

What's more, Durham isn't mediaeval. It's historically centred around the penninsula, whose castle and cathedral are mediaeval, but the university itself is pre-Victorian.

Most of the Bailey colleges are in Georgian townhouses (1700s - 1800s), as are some of the arts departments. The Hill colleges are largely 20th century (particularly post-war) and the science departments are also.
Reply 6
TheOneWho
Durham isn't medieval, there are also other universities older than it that you haven't included in your list.

Exactly, just because the city is mediaeval (and it has been a seat of learning and scholarship since then) it doesn't make the uni "ancient". Not when it's only the same age as UoL and not that much older than the redbricks.

It seems a bit odd that you've missed out a lot of the Scottish ancients (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and even Dundee) who are all older.
Reply 7
Lancaster looked pretty good when I visited it. Nice accomodation, nice shops, nice place in general really.
Nottingham looks nice.
hodgey90
exeter has a pretty nice campus, if your into rolling hills and greenery.....

Too many hills :yep: But the campus is quite nice.
Reply 10
Yup, nottingham has a great campus. It's really green and lovely here...
who cares if durham isn't medieval, you know what the OP means whether or not he has the era correct
Reply 12
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
who cares if durham isn't medieval, you know what the OP means whether or not he has the era correct

No, I don't.

Because he names universities that aren't campus universities, so what exactly does he mean by "campus". Also, how do we define "best"?
Best uni campus = Keele.
nottingham has a lovely campus.
Keele has a lovely campus. :^_^: It has Keele hall,woods and lakes that's also verygreen.:yep: the area round the union and shops and building are also quite nice.:smile:
My friends goes to Nottingham that's nice too.:^_^:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Exactly. I think some people are being a little pedantic.
Reply 17
Warwick is lovely. I liked York a lot but it may be a bit more subjective. I'd say they were most impressive to me.
River85
No, I don't.

Because he names universities that aren't campus universities, so what exactly does he mean by "campus". Also, how do we define "best"?

well ok maybe the campus bit wasn't clear but do you really need him to say durham is pre victorian to understand what he's going on about? i really doubt it, common sense would tell you what he's talking about
But he has missed out several other universities which are much older and are just as pretty with excellent facilities.

Glasgow was founded in 1451, Durham in 1837. That's a bit of a difference.