The Student Room Group

The IB&C Pre-University Thread for School and A Level Pupils

Scroll to see replies

manchild007
It was held twice a year, once in November and once in February, but they've changed it from 2010 onwards. It will be held in October, and is for women only as its sponsored by the GS 10,000 women initiative.

Source - GS Representative came to school to promote girls from our school to apply to it.

Literally Google the KPMG, PwC and Deliotte programmes, and its the first results. KPMG and PwC also have one-day insight days open to everyone (unlike GS above).

loki276

No worries - even though your views on the Tories ruining an economic recovery are completely ridiculous :biggrin:
manchild007
No worries - even though your views on the Tories ruining an economic recovery are completely ridiculous :biggrin:

My views are backed up by the IMF and other economists :smile:
loki276
My views are backed up by the IMF and other economists :smile:

So are mine - the IMF is about as right about someone being able to predict earthquakes. They have views both against the Tories and many more for them, likewise with your 'economists' :smile:

But we should agree to disagree, as this is not the place for such a discussion.
manchild007
So are mine - the IMF is about as right about someone being able to predict earthquakes. They have views both against the Tories and many more for them, likewise with your 'economists' :smile:

But we should agree to disagree, as this is not the place for such a discussion.

yeah agreed
Reply 65
If i am in my last year of school (completing my A-levels in june) can i apply to any of these insight days? if so which ones?
Is there anything else i can do?

Thanks
Reply 66
The more i look into it, the more i feel i have no chance to get any work experience seeing as i'm not a gay disabled religious ethnic minority who lives in a a poor part of london.
markioe
The more i look into it, the more i feel i have no chance to get any work experience seeing as i'm not a gay disabled religious ethnic minority who lives in a a poor part of london.
Fairly easy to rectify that. Ethnic minority might be a problem, but if you are willing to invest in a sunbed then you're as good as gold.
Reply 68
uthinkilltellu
Fairly easy to rectify that. Ethnic minority might be a problem, but if you are willing to invest in a sunbed then you're as good as gold.

In every sense :rofl:.
Reply 69
uthinkilltellu

Haha yeah, but on a serious note, i have applied to the PwC and Deloitte as well as the JP Morgan 3 day thing. Is there anything else i can do during hols? anything else i should apply for?
Reply 70
markioe
Haha yeah, but on a serious note, i have applied to the PwC and Deloitte as well as the JP Morgan 3 day thing. Is there anything else i can do during hols? anything else i should apply for?

Cold call smaller banks, consultancies, asset managers and see if they'll let you shadow for a couple of days.
I'm an A-level student and have been short-listed for second round interviews, where I will be interviewed by either BOAML or DB for a 4 week programme this summer. As far as I'm aware, I'm not being interviewed for a pre-determined division, and so I would like your opinions on which would be better given these circumstances. I believe that DB has recently done better, and I think that they're a stronger in FICC (particularly forex and rates), and have done better in M&A in Europe (but not globally) in 2009 which are areas that I'm interested in.
However, I'm unlikely to act based only on the performance of certain divisions for various reasons (e.g. I don't know yet how much I can influence the division that I'll be in; I want to keep my options open; perhaps equities would be better as I have heard that it's less technical and so I could probably get more out of the experience in a short internship, etc.) Nonetheless, how do they compare in CMO? :p:

So, again, what are your opinions? Should I focus just on brand name? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance
Reply 72
loggins
Apologies, I forgot this thread was made especially for you and not for the future benefit of any IB&C readers.

I cannot accept that (those? you seem to be apologising several times for some unknown reason). I am already bitter.
Reply 73
I'm considering a future in Finance and thought that for work experience I would go to a bank or something...

Any bank suggestions? HSBC, Loylds TSB of Barclays? :s-smilie: :confused:
Hello!

I am planning to take a gap year. I am going to be studying maths at uni so I was wondering if you knew any maths internships I can apply for. And please advise me on my gap year and also your own experience!

Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 75
BGS104
I'm considering a future in Finance and thought that for work experience I would go to a bank or something...

Any bank suggestions? HSBC, Loylds TSB of Barclays? :s-smilie: :confused:

Sangin Know

Have a flick through this thread, there have already been quite a few suggestions for what you can do between school and uni to help advance your career. Hopefully these posts will help!
Reply 76
Sangin Know
Hello!

I am planning to take a gap year. I am going to be studying maths at uni so I was wondering if you knew any maths internships I can apply for. And please advise me on my gap year and also your own experience!

I thought most universities don't like maths applicants taking gap years?
paddy
I thought most universities don't like maths applicants taking gap years?

True
Sangin Know
Hello!

You've missed all the deadlines, which were earlier this year (i.e. Jan 10) or late last year (i.e. December 09) sadly.
Reply 79
I'm doing my work experience next year and I'm considering a future in finance. So I thought that for work experience I would go to a bank of something... Anyone got any suggestions for good banks to do work experience in? Barclays, HSBC or Loylds TSB? Any one? No? :woo: :eek3: :confused: I'm also considering which A levels to do. I'm stuck between Economics and Accounting. Any help here? PLZ!

Quick Reply

Latest