The Student Room Group

XYZ's log

Scroll to see replies

I find it very difficult to break heavy weights off the floor when I use a very wide sumo stance. I find it easier to break weights off the floor with a conventional but harder to lock them out. Semi-sumo provides a happy medium. I'm not really too clear at the moment because work makes me slightly retarded.

I was only deadlifting once a week but squatting as wide as I did twice a week started to catch up to me basically.
Reply 81
Bench - 60kg
3x10
1x9
2x8
4x7

Dips - BW
1x6
1x4

Woo, fair bit of volume. I've been talking to Babyslayer on BB.com forums and I'm gonna be trying out some of his methods. It's high frequency, high volume stuff.

Essentially, you start off with high reps high sets and keep adding weight till the reps get lower and lower. Then you add more assistance until you can only really do a few reps of bench/dip. Then you max on bench. He says to do quite a bit on dips but there was NO WAY I could do more. My triceps were killed by 10 sets of benching.
Reply 82
I don't entirely understand all that, but I suppose the take home message is moar volume and moar assistance for bigger bench. I'm sure you'll make some fairly decent gains making a change like that, my bench went up like 10kg within a few weeks of hammering high rep skullcrushers and more pressing volume, after having never isolated my triceps in my training life. It was like getting beginner gains all over, loved it
It's basically a form of western/linear periodisation with assistance work to keep the total volume high when you taper down the volume on your main lift. From the sounds of Michael's description anyway. Dave Tate did a good article on western periodisation on T-Nation where he talks about his lifting career as part of a series.
Reply 84
Exactly.

Eventually, I'll be doing only 1 set for dips and bench press but high volume of assistance to keep up the total high.

I'm not entirely sure how to go about the rest though. I think I'll try do something similar and just see how it goes. For squats I doubt I'll be doing as high reps. I just can't bring myself to do them because I will actually die.
Reply 85
Bro man, you just broke a plateau on Madcow's and now you changed routine? You shouldve stuck for a bit longer and you couldve made solid progress on bench. Madcows was obviously working.
Reply 86
Yous lot look into routines too much. I don't see what really matters as long as you're doing main lift+assistance as regular as possible
Reply 87
Yes but it's the Summer and I wanted to do some high frequency stuff.
Reply 88
Pull-ups - BW
1x8
1x5

Chin-ups - BW
1x3
1x4 (Put on a better song)

T-Bar Pull-ups - BW
1x4

Barbell Rows - 50kg
2x8

Barbell Curls - 18kg + bar
1x12
1x10

Hammer Curls - 10kg
2x7

Could have done more I think but just easing myself into it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 89
Rack Pull - 150kg
1x10 (had more in me but grip was weak and just the beginning)

Deficit Deadlift - 100kg
1x10 (again, easily had more in me)

Leg Press
40kg - 1x20
80kg - 1x20
120kg - 1x20
160kg - 1x20

Back extension - 10kg
3x10

Leg Curl - 70
3x10

Just easing into it so didn't push myself so hard. Next time I'm gonna up the reps/sets and we'll see how it goes.
Reply 90
Forgot to log yesterday's workout,

Bench - 65kg
2x10
1x8
1x6
1x7
3x5
2x4

Dips - BW
2x6
1x2
Reply 91
Original post by Michael XYZ
Forgot to log yesterday's workout,

Bench - 65kg
2x10
1x8
1x6
1x7
3x5
2x4

Dips - BW
2x6
1x2

Wack some weight on? Or do you struggle with these?
Reply 92
Original post by Binkles
Wack some weight on? Or do you struggle with these?

Technically I should. However, after 10 sets of benching my triceps are all but dead so adding weight at this stage is a bit silly I feel.

----

Pull-ups - BW
1x9
1x5

Chin-ups - BW
2x4

T-Bar pull-ups - BW
1x5

Wide-Grip Cable Row - 25
1x20

T-Bar Cable Row - 30
1x20

Pendlay Row - 55kg
2x8

Barbell Curl - 18kg + bar
2x12

Hammer Curl - 10kg
2x8

Machine Curl - 15kg
1x10
Reply 93
Original post by Michael XYZ
Technically I should. However, after 10 sets of benching my triceps are all but dead so adding weight at this stage is a bit silly I feel.

----

Pull-ups - BW
1x9
1x5

Chin-ups - BW
2x4

T-Bar pull-ups - BW
1x5

Wide-Grip Cable Row - 25
1x20

T-Bar Cable Row - 30
1x20

Pendlay Row - 55kg
2x8

Barbell Curl - 18kg + bar
2x12

Hammer Curl - 10kg
2x8

Machine Curl - 15kg
1x10

May just be me - but i always do them at the end of tricep work. But i really force them out though, like i feel dead at the end of each set. But imo they are an easy exercise to really force through. Went from bw to 20kg in 3 weeks too (Y)
Reply 94
Original post by Binkles
May just be me - but i always do them at the end of tricep work. But i really force them out though, like i feel dead at the end of each set. But imo they are an easy exercise to really force through. Went from bw to 20kg in 3 weeks too (Y)

Yes if I did them fresh I could do something that like (how many reps did you do with 20kg?).

However, I'm shortening my rest periods quite a lot. Before I'd rest pretty much any amount whereas now I keep rest intervals at 1 minute.
Reply 95
Squat
60kg - 1x5
80kg - 1x5
100kg - 1x5 (put belt on - first time using!)
120kg - 1x5
135kg - 1x3

Good Morning
20kg - 1x10
60kg - 1x10
80kg - 1x10

Leg Curl
70 - 3x15

Hadn't squatted for a while so just getting back into it, had one or two more reps in me I think. First time using the belt too - I think I should have had it a bit tighter though so will try that next time. Also first time doing good mornings. Not too sure on how my form was but they were okay.

My legs have been really sore since prom on Friday. A lot of dancing so my right foot and both my calves are quite sore.
Do you ever do any cardio? Cos sore legs from cardio? jeez
Reply 97
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Do you ever do any cardio? Cos sore legs from cardio? jeez

Well nothing planned. I usually play tennis/football/badminton with friends once or twice a week.

You mean the dancing? Well, you'd really have to see how I dance and then think about doing that for 3-4 hours and make your mind up. Wearing the shoes I was (smart shoes) and all didn't help.
I'd love to see you dance, Michael. Let's arrange something.
Reply 99
Sure. Any time for you.

Quick Reply