The Student Room Group

The capture and death of Col Gaddafi

Scroll to see replies

Good; this is not some benevolent revolution, but one of sadistic and violent young men, if he had still have been alive he would have suffered greatly.
Reply 21
It's great that, if it is actually him who has been captured (I've heard it's still to be confirmed for definite), as it's a symbol of the people overthrowing a dictator. I don't agree on imposing beliefs and ideals upon nations, but the people of Libya chose to remove this power hungry lunatic with force - we, as western nations, may have helped, but we did so out of a common cause for democracy, and the people of Libya demanded democracy.
I'm not condoning that we invade countries purely because they should be democratic, or that we view them as barbaric - I don't like cultural imperialism. But I am certainly for the removal of dictators when their people want rid of them.
Reply 22
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
We stopped bombing Libya two months ago.

Nope, bombs are still exploding.
Another one bites the dust
Original post by CJM13
I hope he isn't dead, he needs to go to the ICC.

The International Cricket Council?
Reply 25
Reuters reporting his death...

Reply 26
pwnd!
Reply 27
Another dictator gone.Power to the people of Libya :smile:

If he is indeed dead we need to see proof or will he be buried at sea like Obama was?
(edited 12 years ago)
Where does it say he's died?

Only seen BBC and Sky that say he's been captured.
Original post by Greeny442

Original post by Greeny442
Where does it say he's died?

Only seen BBC and Sky that say he's been captured.

Because they haven't updated the story yet. It was updated that he died only a few minutes ago, check the link. The first story was that he was only captured. BBC and Sky News will update their story when they are sure that Gaddafi has been killed and there's been an official confirmation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Annie72

If he is indeed dead we need to see proof or will he be buried at sea like Obama was?

What?!?! When did that happen !?
Reply 31
The front page of AJE reports that he's dead. I think it's a safe bet that he really is...
http://english.aljazeera.net/
Reply 32
Original post by Annie72

the letters 'b' and 's' aren't even that close on the keyboard :colonhash:
Reply 33
Why do all dictators resort to "hiding in a hole" ?

It doesn't work!
Reply 34
Actually it's "yet to be confirmed".

Reported, but not yet validated.

EDIT: Confirmed now. :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by W.H.T

Ooopss......I'm sorry I;m very tired .Ofcourse I meant Osama!!
Original post by W.H.T

A freudian slip I think
Reply 37
Gaddafi being finally captured, imo, isn't really a significant milestone. He's already been irrelevant for a while.

I'm more worried/interested by this:
Libya's Interim Leader Says He Is Quitting
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2097333,00.html

Significant quotes:

Mahmoud Jibril, a U.S.-educated economist who helped persuade NATO members to launch their Libya campaign last March, also announced in an interview with TIME that he was quitting potentially leaving Libya in a perilous state of limbo.

"We have moved into a political struggle with no boundaries," Jibril said, looking glum, rather than a man rejoicing liberation. "The political struggle requires finances, organization, arms and ideologies," he said. "I am afraid I don't have any of this."

He warned that the longer the fighting lasted, so the possibility increased for Libya turning "from a national struggle to chaos," and becoming a battleground for "all the foreign powers which have their own agendas towards Libya.

If the, lets call them, "sane" cool headed educated people are resigning, you are left with the young militants with ak47s in hand to battle it over for power. Young militants with guns aren't the backbones of democracy.

After the iranian revolution, the provisional government was made up of western educated (us, swiss etc..) professionals, secular democrats. When the hostage crisis happened, they all pretty much had to resign because there was so much ideology and conflict going on that they were left behind and Ayatollah Khomeini came out on top.

Dropping bombs and missiles and militarily fighting to take over cities doesn't give way to democracy. Democracy comes from a grass roots movement, where the essential human values required in a democracy are respected by everyone.

That is why after the 2009 iranian election, 3million people in the streets went home. They didn't take up arms to fight, because iran had gone through this before and obviously didn't work out right and those who wanted to fight back were set straight by the fellow protestors (people who had been imprisioned by the regime etc..) to stop and march silently, non violently. Theres loads of videos from the protests where people capture a revolutionary guard or basij and one or two want to beat him up, the crowd pull the guard/basij away to safety chanting "leave him alone".

The downside of course is that you don't get change as quickly as you may like. Its a slowly but surely method. (in theory)

In reference to the last quote i quoted. Even the interim leader who has personally spoken to Sarkozy and the other leaders involved in Libya, is publicly speaking out against them... That was a clear and direct statement, theres really no other way you can take it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aack
Why do all dictators resort to "hiding in a hole" ?

It doesn't work!

In the future I hope "hide the dictator in the hole" will be used as a euphanism.
Reply 39
Fgs I wish this laptop would load the bloody video.. which it won't..

Does anyone know of any low gb-thingy video player things I can watch this on?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest