The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ocarinaoftime
I'm going to the open day on the 7th March with my mum. Looking forward to it!

phew, someone else is going!! :wink:
What have you got an offer for?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by KatieLS
emailed Science and Engineering admissions today about when we would likely hear back;

Dear Katie,

Thank you for your email. It is currently anticipated that decisions will start
to be processed in the next day or so and will be completed in approximately 2
weeks time.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Jamie Smith

Recruitment and Admissions
College of Science and Engineering

Tel: + 44 (0) 131 650 5737
Fax: + 44 (0) 131 650 5738
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/science-engineering/

So much for end of February

Thanks for posting that. In previous mails they mentioned that they plan to be done with making all the decisions by end of February, but apparently for them "being done" is a synonym to "start" ;] I wonder what caused the delay.
Reply 2002
Original post by Katastaza
Thanks for posting that. In previous mails they mentioned that they plan to be done with making all the decisions by end of February, but apparently for them "being done" is a synonym to "start" ;] I wonder what caused the delay.

Well, it could be interpreted as that them making all the decisions in February, but the decisions are processed in March (which I'm guessing means that's when they're being sent out).
Reply 2003
Original post by KatieLS
emailed Science and Engineering admissions today about when we would likely hear back;

Dear Katie,

Thank you for your email. It is currently anticipated that decisions will start
to be processed in the next day or so and will be completed in approximately 2
weeks time.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Jamie Smith

Recruitment and Admissions
College of Science and Engineering

Tel: + 44 (0) 131 650 5737
Fax: + 44 (0) 131 650 5738
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/science-engineering/

So much for end of February

I like the "It is currently anticipated"... it's not even certain when the processing will start... they could keep us waiting FOREVER!
Original post by Firecrackerchild
phew, someone else is going!! :wink:
What have you got an offer for?

Sure am :P I'm going for Archaeology! Yourself? :biggrin:
Original post by Molecule
I like the "It is currently anticipated"... it's not even certain when the processing will start... they could keep us waiting FOREVER!

Not forever, only until 9th May.

I told you guys that you wouldn't have responses by the end of Feb and all of the current/past students have been telling you that for months on end... but what do we know :p:

There have been way more offers going out in February than there have been in the last 6 years so consider yourselves all lucky that you may not be waiting right until May!
Original post by oxymoronic
Not forever, only until 9th May.

I told you guys that you wouldn't have responses by the end of Feb and all of the current/past students have been telling you that for months on end... but what do we know :p:

There have been way more offers going out in February than there have been in the last 6 years so consider yourselves all lucky that you may not be waiting right until May!

Well, I've already come to terms with the fact that no responses in February, but I hope Edinburgh will send something until the end of March, as I'd like to apply for one of their scholarships too, and the deadline is the 2nd of April.. :s-smilie::confused::eyebrow:
Reply 2007
Original post by star9005
Well, I've already come to terms with the fact that no responses in February, but I hope Edinburgh will send something until the end of March, as I'd like to apply for one of their scholarships too, and the deadline is the 2nd of April.. :s-smilie::confused::eyebrow:

Wow I hadn't thought of that! Which scholarship do you want to apply for?
Searching for "Edinburgh accommodation" on TSR brings up that thread easily enough, as does going into the University of Edinburgh forum and seeing it stuck right at the top of the page.... so I'm not sure whether this comment was intended to be a criticism or not - I don't control the search y'know! :p:

No no, no criticism intended, I'm probably just incapable of spelling "accommodation" :biggrin:

Original post by teoevy

If its a financial scholarship for home students and related to widening access then I think Edinburgh would have to make allowances for students to apply for it if they received an offer later than this as otherwise they would be breaking their access agreements. Universities had to draw up plans to show how they could justify charging fees of more than £6000, so to charge £9000 a year for four years Edinburgh had to come up with lots of scholarships and financial assistance. If the late delivery of offers means students miss the deadline for these sort of scholarships then they might come into difficulty as you would be in a position where you would be able to make a complaint on the grounds that this was not fair access.

Original post by Arianto
No no, no criticism intended, I'm probably just incapable of spelling "accommodation" :biggrin:

It's a difficult word to spell.
This is what spell checks on the computer are for :smile:
Received an unconditional for Law LLB yesterday :smile: the last of my replies so that's me done!
Reply 2011
Offer made yesterday - Economics. :smile:
Looks like the college of humanities and social science have missed their own target. #incompetence
Original post by teoevy

If its a financial scholarship for home students and related to widening access then I think Edinburgh would have to make allowances for students to apply for it if they received an offer later than this as otherwise they would be breaking their access agreements. Universities had to draw up plans to show how they could justify charging fees of more than £6000, so to charge £9000 a year for four years Edinburgh had to come up with lots of scholarships and financial assistance. If the late delivery of offers means students miss the deadline for these sort of scholarships then they might come into difficulty as you would be in a position where you would be able to make a complaint on the grounds that this was not fair access.

Well, I'm an EU student, and if I get an offer, I will apply for a scholarship for eastern europeans. That's one of the reasons I would pick Edinburgh as my firm choice.. but even if I get an offer, it's not guaranteed that I will get that scholarship.. so: these are rather stressful times :snowman2:
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Looks like the college of humanities and social science have missed their own target. #incompetence

I'm thinking they were going to try for the dates they said. But mine's still on 'pending'. We shall see.
Well, I'm an EU student, and if I get an offer, I will apply for a scholarship for eastern europeans. That's one of the reasons I would pick Edinburgh as my firm choice.. but even if I get an offer, it's not guaranteed that I will get that scholarship.. so: these are rather stressful times :snowman2:

Fascinating choice of smiley.

I'm in the same position. I just hope we'll get any response soon, so that we can apply for the scholarship...
BTW, where are you from?

I wouldn't really consider it incompetence, as people have mentioned, Edinburgh have given out far more offers than normal for this time of year and it's evident from this thread the offers are still being given out almost daily. :rolleyes:
Original post by Ocarinaoftime
I wouldn't really consider it incompetence, as people have mentioned, Edinburgh have given out far more offers than normal for this time of year and it's evident from this thread the offers are still being given out almost daily. :rolleyes:

I would, because they haven't stuck to the dates they informed people of.

To be honest it doesn't bother me too much, as Edinburgh doesn't do my desired subject and Edinburgh is somewhat of a "wait-and-see." option somewhere between 2 and 4.

Right now it's my 3rd choice but unless I get an unconditional then I'm not accepting it.
Reply 2019
I would, because they haven't stuck to the dates they informed people of.

Well I think it's a matter of interpretation, their words were to the effect of "we'll make all our decisions in February" and for all we know that's what they have done. They didn't say officially that they would give out all their decisions in February, I think that's just how the majority of people interpreted it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending