The Student Room Group

Do we have ghetto's in the UK?

Poll

Do ghettos exist in the UK

Do you think that we have ghettos in the UK? People often use the word to describe poor inner city areas, but do they actually exist in the UK or do you think the welfare state etc defends against their emergence?

Personally I think they do, but only in a very moderate sense.

Tower blocks like this I think you could legitimately call a ghetto because of the fact many of the people that live in them have such a poor quality of life compared to the vast majority of people and are likely to be disadvantaged.

2004715_99137515.jpg

On the other hand, the quality of life in the UK is far better then much of the world, even for the poorest people, so I can understand why it can become a bit tiresome when people keep saying they've grown up in the 'ghetto'/

(I'm referring to ghetto's in a broader sense then just a place Jews used to be forced to live)

EDIT: Ok sorry for the apostrophe in the title, I wasn't really concentrating when I wrote it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wikipedia: 'The term ghetto now refers to an overcrowded urban area often associated with specific ethnic or racial populations living below the poverty line. Crime rates in ghettoes are typically higher than in other parts of the city.'

I have definitely been through many of these. There are lots in London.
Inner city London if chockablock (pun not intended) of them.
Original post by LarrikinLibertine
ghetto's

They all stem from parents not caring to teach their children the basics, such as apostrophe usage. It's all down hill from there b!tch's.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Flyteryder
They all stem from parents not caring to teach their children the basics, such as apostrophe usage. It's all down hill from there b!tch's.

Hahaha, bad grammar just kill's it.
Original post by QTpie118
Hahaha, bad grammar just kill's it.

If you meant my grammar, I'm sure it was perfect.
Reply 6
Original post by Flyteryder
If you meant my grammar, I'm sure it was perfect.

Not yours, lol! I meant OP's!
Original post by QTpie118
Not yours, lol! I meant OP's!

Sorry! :biggrin:
To me, at least, the word ghetto suggests that the inhabitants are forced and required to live in the area. This is also the traditional meaning, although originally only for Jewish areas, after the original "Ghetto" in Venice.

Because these inner city areas are not places where people are legally required to live, they are not truly ghettoes. That is not to deny the existence of deprived areas, it is just to make a distinction between the two.
Yes and they're caused by mass immigration.

How else are they non-white areas?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet
Yes and they're caused by mass immigration.

No, it's caused by a flawed immigration policy, how they are taken care of... Just closing the borders won't do any good..
There's rough areas in every city. Around the Beeston/Holbeck area of Leeds are where the main red light district is. Recently, there was reports of a gang kidnapping girls and sexually exploiting them :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by allthelove
There's rough areas in every city. Around the Beeston/Holbeck area of Leeds are where the main red light district is. Recently, there was reports of a gang kidnapping girls and sexually exploiting them :frown:

Rough area does not mean ghetto.
Strictly speaking a ghetto has to be an ethnic community, not just a poor one. There's certainly a lot of them in England, with Pakistanis, Bangaldeshis and Afro-Carribeans, especially in London and Birmingham.
It's nothing compared to other places around the world, but there are definitely ghettos in the UK. The picture you chose isn't all that bad tbh. I've seen far worse. Then again, it depends on the quality of life, not the aesthetics of the place.
I think there are, even if they are small and not found as often as in some other countries.
Original post by worker13
Rough area does not mean ghetto.

I know that. I just personally use the term rough than ghetto.
Yes loads here in London. Mostly Pakistani areas are no go if you're not from that country. Somme ppl are nOt allowed to walk around in Pakistani towns for being non Pakistan.

Very sad
Original post by Christofferz
No, it's caused by a flawed immigration policy, how they are taken care of... Just closing the borders won't do any good..

Careless handling. When people say 'mass immigration' it's merely an emphasises it to, not literally, suggest hordes of stampede through our borders.

Original post by worker13
You're mum caused by mass immigration...to her vagina.

My mum caused ..... by?? What, she was caused by mass immigration? Or she caused mass immigration?
Original post by allthelove
I know that. I just personally use the term rough than ghetto.

Do you like sudanese Christian males? Where are you living now? :wink:

Quick Reply