The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by F1 fanatic
The criteria is that you enjoy physics :yep: :p:

There's this recommended reading list, but it's pretty out of date tbh http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=270868

Would be cool if you could update the reading list! You clearly know your stuff, or at least you did 5 years ago :-). I'm sure there are a lot of aspiring physicists on here that would love to have an extensive list of books that are worthwhile reading.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kingm
Would be cool if you could update the reading list! You clearly know your stuff, or at least you did 5 years ago :-). I'm sure there are a lot of aspiring physicists on here that would love to have an extensive list of books that are worthwhile reading.

I think that's about right! When you say update it, do you mean update the opening post with other things people have suggested in the thread, or with current books? I'd be happy to do the former at some point but I don't really read popular physics books any more (I graduated nearly 4 years ago and real life and job gets in the way :frown: ) so I really need new blood to help me out. Please, if you or anyone else does have any good suggestions to add with a little blurb on them then please post them in that thread! :biggrin:
Hello guys!

I introduce myself quickly. I'm a German member who is interesting in natural sciences (except physics biology and chemistry counts to these). I would love to join this Society to ask members about special problems or to answer questions, if I can.

And now I want to ask a member if there is an one who is a genius in periodic physics.
Hi
Just a quick message to introduce myself.
I'm just in the process of my last lot of A-level exams (biology, chemistry and physics).
I love physics, it's my favourite subject :smile:
Original post by Picture~Perfect
Hi
Just a quick message to introduce myself.
I'm just in the process of my last lot of A-level exams (biology, chemistry and physics).
I love physics, it's my favourite subject :smile:

Welcome to the society! Are you planning on going to uni?
Welcome to the society! Are you planning on going to uni?

Thank you :smile:
I'm planning to yes, I'm applying this year as I've had to spend an extra year on my A-levels due to illness.
If I do well enough I'm going to apply to read Medicine, though I am tempted to take physics further :smile:
I'm planning to yes, I'm applying this year as I've had to spend an extra year on my A-levels due to illness.
If I do well enough I'm going to apply to read Medicine, though I am tempted to take physics further :smile:

There's always bioengineering or medical physics modules too if you like both :smile:
I'm considering applying for astrophysics at university. I was wondering if someone could recommend some books to read over the summer. Also I was wondering if anyone has read
In Search of the Multiverse by John Gribbin, would you recommend it?
I'm considering applying for astrophysics at university. I was wondering if someone could recommend some books to read over the summer. Also I was wondering if anyone has read
In Search of the Multiverse by John Gribbin, would you recommend it?

Have you seen this? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=270868

Bit out of date, but might give you an idea. I don't know that John Gribbin book, but I've enjoyed his others.
Have you seen this? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=270868

Bit out of date, but might give you an idea. I don't know that John Gribbin book, but I've enjoyed his others.

I was in a public swimming pool today and made an experiment on oneself. I was diving in swimmer's pool to see, if I would come up on surface or not. The result was that I was neither coming up on there nor I was sinking on the ground. My body was floating in water. After archimedes' principle, the body is swimming on surface, if the (specific) density of one is less than water, floating in water, if the density of one is equal to water and sink to the ground, if the density of one is greater than water. In my conclusions I think the specific density of my body is equal to the one of water. Am I right?

After that I thought about people who are swimming on surface in dead sea. in my explanations people have a lesser density compared to black sea. That is to say dead sea's one is greater than people's one. Am I right too?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 871
@ Kallisto yeah I agree with your points about a body floating if its density is less than that of water, however I think your body probably has a slightly higher density than water; the reason you're not sinking maybe that drag is preventing you from sinking, or because of slight movements in your body?
Original post by XiaoXiao1
@ Kallisto yeah I agree with your points about a body floating if its density is less than that of water, however I think your body probably has a slightly higher density than water; the reason you're not sinking maybe that drag is preventing you from sinking, or because of slight movements in your body?

I have already researched in the internet. As I figured as much the human body cannot sink in dead sea, because the mass density of one is higher concerning salinity. It is ten times more than in a normal ocean. That is to say that human body's density is lesser than dead ocean's one. I was right. My conclusion was absolutely right! thank you, Archimedes!

By the way I will substitute concentration for density in my last comment.
Reply 873
Original post by Kallisto
I have already researched in the internet. As I figured as much the human body cannot sink in dead sea, because the mass density of one is higher concerning salinity. It is ten times more than in a normal ocean. That is to say that human body's density is lesser than dead ocean's one. I was right. My conclusion was absolutely right! thank you, Archimedes!

By the way I will substitute concentration for density in my last comment.

Nice :tongue:, what I was referring to was your experiment in the public swimming pool.
Original post by XiaoXiao1
Nice :tongue:, what I was referring to was your experiment in the public swimming pool.

I think I have forgot an another factor: buoyancy. The question is how a body is able to come up on surface, if it has no one. nothing!

Connected with my considerations, buoyancy is greater than weight force, if the human body has lesser density than water. But if water has a higher density than human body (that is impossible in an usual case), the weight force is greater than buoyancy. That is to say that buoyancy is contrary to weight force and vice versa. That make sense, eh?

That is the reason why ships cannot sinking.
yay im a member now
Reply 876
Just joined the society am studying physics at uni :smile:
Can someone explain to me whether the discovery of the Higgs boson affects the validity of string theory? String theory describes every piece of matter consisting of oscillating strings so does the Higgs boson give mass to these strings?

Sorry, if this is a very easy to answer question :smile:
Just joined the physics society too! I'm an aspiring physicist, about to start A level physics - basically know the course already from getting excited and teaching it to myself over summer! If anyone can recommend any physics reading that will further my knowledge in preparation for a degree, it would be lovely help!
Reply 879
Original post by higherandhigher
Just joined the physics society too! I'm an aspiring physicist, about to start A level physics - basically know the course already from getting excited and teaching it to myself over summer! If anyone can recommend any physics reading that will further my knowledge in preparation for a degree, it would be lovely help!

Hey welcome! Good for you on getting ahead on physics reading for A level I'm sure you'll excel! If you have time to get reading the book I was taught my first year of my degree from is this textbook: http://www.amazon.co.uk/University-Physics-Modern-MasteringPhysics/dp/0321762193/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346169910&sr=8-1 worth a look if your interested in reading ahead just make sure your competent in A level maths :wink:

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest