The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

haven't been online for a while but I firmed UCL and my insurance is King's College :smile: hopefully will end up at UCL!
Reply 1961
Hi, i know this is going to sound stupid but is it possible to do a Physics degree without the A-Level. I took Bio,Maths,Chem and Psychology for AS. Recently Ive done some reading on physics and Ive never been so interested in a subject before. My GCSEs are 6A*s 5As, 100% in Physics haha, AS levels will probably be AAAB and will be predicted A*AA(A*in maths) hopefully. I was just wondering what my options are.
Reply 1962
Original post by teen1234
Hi, i know this is going to sound stupid but is it possible to do a Physics degree without the A-Level. I took Bio,Maths,Chem and Psychology for AS. Recently Ive done some reading on physics and Ive never been so interested in a subject before. My GCSEs are 6A*s 5As, 100% in Physics haha, AS levels will probably be AAAB and will be predicted A*AA(A*in maths) hopefully. I was just wondering what my options are.

Could be quite difficult, maybe drop psychology and do as physics AS (and A2 as well if you're really determined). Also, may be useful to do any further maths you can / make sure you've covered significant mechanics in maths.

Maybe a foundation year in physics.

A lot of universities will accept mechanics modules (usually 3+) as suitable replacement for physics A-level (off the top of my head, I know for certain Cambridge do, it's worth having a look at), but picking up the AS Physics next year would probably be worth considering. :smile:
Reply 1965
Original post by aquark
Could be quite difficult, maybe drop psychology and do as physics AS (and A2 as well if you're really determined). Also, may be useful to do any further maths you can / make sure you've covered significant mechanics in maths.

I was thinking about taking physicsAS/A2 although i feel it wont make much of a difference as a university will still not be able to see my predicted grade or an AS grade..
I was thinking about taking physicsAS/A2 although i feel it wont make much of a difference as a university will still not be able to see my predicted grade or an AS grade..

I think it really depends how good at physics/maths you really are. Someone in my year who is sort of a straight A, but not a standout A* sort of guy, decided he wanted to do engineering having not taken physics. He's managed quite successfully to do that having dropped only one subject from Year 12 (you could maybe drop 2?). The physics A-level- i'm sure many will agree- is rather easy for people that find it interesting.

I'd contact the universities in advance, ask what they think/what else they'd accept (like more mechanics modules in maths). And just make sure your school stress the odd circumstances in your reference.
What can I do to prepare for next year? (starting at Warwick!)

With A-levels you could just pick up a text book, start learning and look at exam papers online, is the same applicable in any way for next year so I can see how hard it will be?
Prepare to be more organised than you've ever been. I found organisation and motivation really helpful.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Prepare to be more organised than you've ever been. I found organisation and motivation really helpful.

thanks, did you do physics or is that general advice? :smile:

I'm good on the motivational side but I need to get a bit better at the organisational side for sure

Sounds grand! I like to have everything in it's own place anyway, I'm very excited! :biggrin:
Original post by Benniboi1
thanks, did you do physics or is that general advice? :smile:

I'm good on the motivational side but I need to get a bit better at the organisational side for sure

I just finished my foundation year for physics. Its like a step between university and A-level and was quite helpful for getting me in the right mind set to be successful at university.
Reply 1972
I just finished my foundation year for physics. Its like a step between university and A-level and was quite helpful for getting me in the right mind set to be successful at university.

Im thinking about doing a foundation year in physics :smile:. Where did you study? Also, did you have the same experience as people starting an undergraduate degree or is it completely different?
Im thinking about doing a foundation year in physics :smile:. Where did you study? Also, did you have the same experience as people starting an undergraduate degree or is it completely different?

Loughborough.

Pretty much the same, you have all the stuff you would on a normal degree and are often taught by a range of people from senior lecturers to new lecturers.
Reply 1974
Loughborough.

Pretty much the same, you have all the stuff you would on a normal degree and are often taught by a range of people from senior lecturers to new lecturers.

Do you live in halls for the foundation year or do you live there the next year?
Do you live in halls for the foundation year or do you live there the next year?

Yeah you live in halls, you are a normal student thus given the same rights as other students.
Original post by Tora Shin
All very true. I was rejected from St Andrews (alone with Oxford), then found to my great surprise that I much preferred York to Lancaster and Sussex.

wish I'd applied to York. wasted a choice with St Andrews. if I have to resit, I'm choosing York. did you firm york?
(edited 11 years ago)
They'll love my B's C's D's and E's.

email Durham and ask if it would be a problem-if you can show a huge improvement after gcse it will look good. durham look at for proof of your deeper understanding of/commitment to the subject/ good extra-curricukar stuff can help too. they are very competitive but just make sure you choose a decent couple of back-up unis if you go for places like durham/st andrews/imperial. sorry for taking so long to reply-been hibernating since exams finished
Original post by alcimedes
email Durham and ask if it would be a problem-if you can show a huge improvement after gcse it will look good. durham look at for proof of your deeper understanding of/commitment to the subject/ good extra-curricukar stuff can help too. they are very competitive but just make sure you choose a decent couple of back-up unis if you go for places like durham/st andrews/imperial. sorry for taking so long to reply-been hibernating since exams finished

They accepted me.
They accepted me.

shows how long its been since I was on here! been looking at info on clearing today in case I've messed up.

Quick Reply

Latest