The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucinda354
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here at The Student Room and I'm hoping you would be so kind as to answer a few of my questions regarding Teach First and how it works exactly (I have checked out the website, but I'm hoping you can make things a bit more simpler for me).

1. Will I be considered for any subjects (if so, which) with a Psychology degree?

2. When does the application process start for September 2013?

3. I live in the North West. Does your current location have any impact on where you might be placed to work, should your application be successful?

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. This is something I'm really interested in.

R13 has responded excellently but just to add - if your Psychology degree is a BSc, you are eligible to teach secondary science. If it's a BA (though I don't think many are these days!) then it will depend on your A Levels :smile:
Original post by fancyflight16
Hi...

Was just wondering if anyone could help me with the SKA (History) I am stumped!! I got it through yesterday but want to finish it ASAP as I have my dissertation to finish by the end August too! aggh!

The last three questions seem okay but the first two are so vague I have no idea if I am getting at what they are looking for!

"Outline how much you know and understand about the following aspects of the curriculum" : Short of repeating it verbatim I have no idea how to show I know this stuff...its just seem natural to me and the curriculum spells it out pretty clearly..am i overthinking this?

I am in pretty much exactly the same position as this. Any help from anyone would be very much appreciated!
Thanks very much for the replies, you've all been really helpful. :smile:
Reply 803
Does anyone know how long it takes to get SKA results? I submitted mine last weekend and starting to worry!! xox
I'm extremely worried - submitted mine about three weeks ago! A TF person from graduate recruitment did say it could take 8 weeks given that everyone's busy with the Summer Institute...I'm still worried! :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by vertichalle
I'm extremely worried - submitted mine about three weeks ago! A TF person from graduate recruitment did say it could take 8 weeks given that everyone's busy with the Summer Institute...I'm still worried! :frown:

8 WEEKS!!!!! That's going to kill me :s-smilie:
I've seen posts from people who heard back within days so I was really starting to worry that mine had been over a week! Looks like I better wait some more!!

What is your subject Vertichalle?
I know...it's making me so nervous, I'm checking my emails three times a day! I guess I'm really worried because my degree isn't even loosely related to my subject, Secondary English! :frown:

I know...it's making me so nervous, I'm checking my emails three times a day! I guess I'm really worried because my degree isn't even loosely related to my subject, Secondary English! :frown:

I know! It doesn't help that I've had 3 e mails this week from TF (unrelated to the SKA) and my heart has stopped every time!! I'm so nervous hearing that others found out they had passed in or 4 days :confused:

I suppose once the SI finishes today things may move a little faster. What is your degree in?
Reply 808
I'm in the same position, submitted my SKA for Secondary English about three weeks ago now. I really wouldn't worry. This time of year is bound to be busy for university tutors even if they're not involved in Summer Institute, which is only finishing this weekend. I'm sure no news is good news! It's really really rare to actually fail the SKA - people are quite often asked to update theirs, but that's no reflection on your ability and more about just making sure you have a good plan in place to address any gaps in your knowledge before you start teaching, as obviously it wouldn't be good to get half way through your first term and realize there was a huge chunk of the curriculum you had no clue about! Relax - we've got a whole lot more waiting to do before we start TF, and we've all done so well to get to this stage - they must have seen something they liked :smile:
Original post by laura.a.c265
I know! It doesn't help that I've had 3 e mails this week from TF (unrelated to the SKA) and my heart has stopped every time!! I'm so nervous hearing that others found out they had passed in or 4 days :confused:

I suppose once the SI finishes today things may move a little faster. What is your degree in?

Exactly how I feel! I'm studying Management with Marketing at Royal Holloway, you can see why I feel my subject knowledge could be inadequate but I'm so passionate about English Lit! I tried to change course but had a big mix up with my university and ended up with my original choice.

R13, that's very reassuring - if we've made it this far then they've definitely seen something in us they like :smile:

Original post by r13
I'm in the same position, submitted my SKA for Secondary English about three weeks ago now. I really wouldn't worry. This time of year is bound to be busy for university tutors even if they're not involved in Summer Institute, which is only finishing this weekend. I'm sure no news is good news! It's really really rare to actually fail the SKA - people are quite often asked to update theirs, but that's no reflection on your ability and more about just making sure you have a good plan in place to address any gaps in your knowledge before you start teaching, as obviously it wouldn't be good to get half way through your first term and realize there was a huge chunk of the curriculum you had no clue about! Relax - we've got a whole lot more waiting to do before we start TF, and we've all done so well to get to this stage - they must have seen something they liked :smile:

Just another note. My History SKA took 6 days, submitted on Friday they asked for more info on the Thursday, added that on Saturday and approved it this Monday. Very quick I thought, hah. Also what comes next now by the way guys? I'm deferred entry for 2014, so not quite sure what happens now.
Original post by Flajamafloffl
Just another note. My History SKA took 6 days, submitted on Friday they asked for more info on the Thursday, added that on Saturday and approved it this Monday. Very quick I thought, hah. Also what comes next now by the way guys? I'm deferred entry for 2014, so not quite sure what happens now.

Quick question re: History SKA...

How long did you make each answer? My first one is massive and I'm struggling to keep it down.

Also, what kind of stuff did they ask for more? My recruiter seemed to apply you only had one shot at it!!

Also...if ur 2014 I guess its just a wait until this time next year to start sorting out your SOE and allocate ur region!
Quick question re: History SKA...

How long did you make each answer? My first one is massive and I'm struggling to keep it down.

Also, what kind of stuff did they ask for more? My recruiter seemed to apply you only had one shot at it!!

Also...if ur 2014 I guess its just a wait until this time next year to start sorting out your SOE and allocate ur region!

I went over the 2500 word limit, but I spoke to someone and they said as long as the site doesn't cut you off your fine, but you wont know until you submit it. Think my whole thing came to around 3000 ish words, good 1800 were the first question. They asked me to explain more about the gaps in my knowledge regarding British history at Key stage 3 and how I would go about fixing that. Found the whole thing rather silly, particularly question 1, I massively bull****ted that entire thing.
Got my secondary English SKA back yesterday after four weeks and it passed! Massively relieved!

Got my secondary English SKA back yesterday after four weeks and it passed! Massively relieved!

Yay! So pleased for you...so maybe no news is good news lol :biggrin:
Original post by Flajamafloffl
I went over the 2500 word limit, but I spoke to someone and they said as long as the site doesn't cut you off your fine, but you wont know until you submit it. Think my whole thing came to around 3000 ish words, good 1800 were the first question. They asked me to explain more about the gaps in my knowledge regarding British history at Key stage 3 and how I would go about fixing that. Found the whole thing rather silly, particularly question 1, I massively bull****ted that entire thing.

Ahh perfect, thanks for this! I was never told about the 2500 word limit! Speaking to my recruiter on Wednesday so hopefully they can clear it up! First question has taken up at least 2000 so will have to cut that down!
Also I agree that it is a bit silly. I would understand if they had offered you a subject you hadnt studied since A-Level. All the subsections in question one essentially ask the same thing! aggh! Will be glad when its out the way!
Ahh perfect, thanks for this! I was never told about the 2500 word limit! Speaking to my recruiter on Wednesday so hopefully they can clear it up! First question has taken up at least 2000 so will have to cut that down!
Also I agree that it is a bit silly. I would understand if they had offered you a subject you hadnt studied since A-Level. All the subsections in question one essentially ask the same thing! aggh! Will be glad when its out the way!

Well, at least it's done, for me anyway. Good luck with it, just been told i'm fully enrolled for 2014 wehey!!
Eeep! Sorry I'm interrupting a bit of a SKA conversation that's started but I am so excited! After a couple of weeks of fretting over my application questions I finally submitted it yesterday morning and got an email in the evening saying I've been invited to the assessment centre on September 19th!

It's over a month until the assessment centre, is it usually this long a wait between application and assessment centre? Reading through this thread a lot of people seem to have gone to one within a couple of weeks, maybe it's something to do with the Olympics/summer institute? Does anyone else here have the same assessment day? Eeeep! Can't wait :biggrin:
Reply 818
Ditto! Know I'm interrupting a bit but I have my AC in 28th August in Manchester - I'm guessing they're keeping things out of London until the end of the Olympics.

Anyone else going? I'm nervous but excited.:smile:
Reply 819
I've just received an Assessment Centre date in London on 7th September. I was wondering how other attendees prepared for their interviews and how they actually went.

First off, the competency interview, is it entirely based around the application I've already sent and further expanding on their selected competency criteria? Or do they ask general interview questions too? Like things about the current education sector and conservative education policies?

In regards to the group case study, did anybody actually prepare for this? Teach First do say that this is unneeded, but I may as well ask. If possible, could anybody describe what their case study was about, just so I can get to grips with a few before getting there.

Any help would be thoroughly appreciated. Many, many thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest