The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Norton1
Assuming you don't need to get on to pick subjects which will fill up fast then you *should* be fine.

Does Sociology fill up fast? I'm hopefully going to switch my degree course at some point (either contact my advisor or wait till I get there..I haven't decided yet), and I want to add Sociology after I switch but I might have to wait until I get there to choose it. Is it likely to be full?

Also..sorry to ask so many questions but you seem like the expert around here..if I email my advisor and ask him/her if I can change subjects, do I have to go into great detail and explain my reasons for wanting to switch or should I just keep it simple? Thank you!!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by seashells~
Does Sociology fill up fast? I'm hopefully going to switch my degree course at some point (either contact my advisor or wait till I get there..I haven't decided yet), and I want to add Sociology after I switch but I might have to wait until I get there to choose it. Is it likely to be full?

Also..sorry to ask so many questions but you seem like the expert around here..if I email my advisor and ask him/her if I can change subjects, do I have to go into great detail and explain my reasons for wanting to switch or should I just keep it simple? Thank you!!

I'll laugh at the idea I'm an expert before anyone else does I think! I was really talking about getting registration itself finished, which for SAAS and matriculation purposes can be left until September if neccessary (although there is a registration deadline to get SAAS money in on time)

In terms of sociology filling up fast, it's probably a pretty popular course for first year. This is just based on my impression of it sounding like the sort of course people would want to do. It's not "The beards of the English Kings" or "the typefaces of the French revolution".

For that reason I would say it would be better to do it sooner rather than later. To be honest I have a feeling they might tell you to wait until you get there, but at least if you ask you will know for sure.

In terms of explaining why you want to change it can't hurt your case to have a reasonable argument to put forward as to why you feel the new course is for you. I'd try and steer clear of saying it's your dream in life as it clearly wasn't when you applied a few monthsa ago.
Reply 5582

MyCampus tells me that the class capacity for sociology 1A is 600 while current enrolment is 32 - so I think the chances of it filling up are quite slim and there's no need to worry about it.
Reply 5583
Original post by andyyy
MyCampus tells me that the class capacity for sociology 1A is 600 while current enrolment is 32 - so I think the chances of it filling up are quite slim and there's no need to worry about it.

Most of those capacity things are bull though I think :s the capacity for level 3 genetics is something like 900 but we were told there were only 40 spaces, it was a bit of a competition for us :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5584
Anyone having trouble logging on to the myglasgow site?
Reply 5585
not got my email yet. anyone else get theirs?
Reply 5586
Does anyone know how to enroll on Statistics 1C (for Psychology students)? I would like to take it in year 1 but there seems to be no link or anything :frown:
Statistics 1C (40 credits, Semester 1 and 2) has been scrapped in favour of Statistics 1A (Applied Statistics), which if memory serves me correctly is now a 20 credit course in the second semester only. You can find it in the course catalogue (just google Glasgow uni + course catalogue).

I am not sure whether it is still a requirement for Psychology students.
Reply 5588
Original post by BostonLegal
Statistics 1C (40 credits, Semester 1 and 2) has been scrapped in favour of Statistics 1A (Applied Statistics), which if memory serves me correctly is now a 20 credit course in the second semester only. You can find it in the course catalogue (just google Glasgow uni + course catalogue).

I am not sure whether it is still a requirement for Psychology students.

I don't think it is. I remember a friend saying that statistics is now fully integrated with the psychology course so students don't need to take an outside stats course. I might be wrong though, I'm not a psychology student!
Reply 5589
It says that "Psychology students must take Statistics 1C as a compulsory subject in year 1 or year 2, and achieve a minimum D3 grade, for entry to Honours." and below "Statistics 1C [0010] Take this course either in Year 1 or Year 2." but there is just no link to a course like anywhere else. In the browse catalog it finds it but it says "STATS 1001 - Statistics 1C: Statistics For Psychologists And Social Scientists ** available as of 01.08.2015" so I'm a bit cunfused
Reply 5590
still haven't received mycampus login details! Anyone with me? :confused:
Original post by Norton1
I'll laugh at the idea I'm an expert before anyone else does I think! I was really talking about getting registration itself finished, which for SAAS and matriculation purposes can be left until September if neccessary (although there is a registration deadline to get SAAS money in on time)

In terms of sociology filling up fast, it's probably a pretty popular course for first year. This is just based on my impression of it sounding like the sort of course people would want to do. It's not "The beards of the English Kings" or "the typefaces of the French revolution".

For that reason I would say it would be better to do it sooner rather than later. To be honest I have a feeling they might tell you to wait until you get there, but at least if you ask you will know for sure.

In terms of explaining why you want to change it can't hurt your case to have a reasonable argument to put forward as to why you feel the new course is for you. I'd try and steer clear of saying it's your dream in life as it clearly wasn't when you applied a few monthsa ago.

Haha it's just that you seem to be answering everyones questions :tongue: Okay well I wrote the email and I'm supposed to send it to "[email protected]". I feel like no one's going to read it. And don't worry I'm definitely not saying it's my dream in life...my main arguments are that I only just recently discovered my love for it and that it would benefit my career.
Thanks for your help :smile:

Original post by andyyy

That's really good to hear! Thank you

Original post by meghaklr

I haven't either! :frown: They were supposed to start sending it out to first years today but I don't know if they actually have yet..
Reply 5592
Original post by meghaklr

Same, I'll be going into 1st year. Website says if you dont have a login email by the 31st of August you have to get in touch with the Uni
Reply 5593
Haha it's just that you seem to be answering everyones questions :tongue: Okay well I wrote the email and I'm supposed to send it to "[email protected]". I feel like no one's going to read it. And don't worry I'm definitely not saying it's my dream in life...my main arguments are that I only just recently discovered my love for it and that it would benefit my career.
Thanks for your help :smile:

That's really good to hear! Thank you

I haven't either! :frown: They were supposed to start sending it out to first years today but I don't know if they actually have yet..

They definately have as i've recieved mine and enrolled for all my classes. think i was probably in the first wave of emails as all my classes were empty.
Original post by IamStu
They definately have as i've recieved mine and enrolled for all my classes. think i was probably in the first wave of emails as all my classes were empty.

Oh really :/ thanks for letting me know. I hope they send it soon..
Reply 5595
Oh really :/ thanks for letting me know. I hope they send it soon..

I honestly wouldn't panic, they had server troubles last week and some today, so i think they are just not giving it to everyone at the same time so there is not a huge breakdown of the service.
Reply 5596
Original post by G8D
Glasgow clubs are classy establishments compared to Norwegian ones. I just thought I'd let you all know.

There's a pretty large range in glasgow to be fair :P
Yay! Got my email :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Out of curiosity, does the University monitor the content of your email exchanges?

I haven't done anything bad per say but recently one of my correspondences with a friend descended into a (joking) sexual-banter fest. And now I am getting paranoid that I will be expelled for talking about sex, lecturers and getting frisky on the 6th floor annexe. :frown:
Reply 5599
Also got my email and completed Academic and Financial Registration. Currently looking at enrollment and wondering on what criteria should I pick tutorial classes since the dreaded early hours aren't even available.

Quick Reply

Latest