The Student Room Group

My experience studying in Maastricht University

Scroll to see replies

Please help:

I have been selected through the decentralised selection procedure for BSc International Business and given a ranking, in the email it says that there will be a place reserved for me.

Does that mean I'm accepted? I thought it was until I read somewhere that you're only accepted if you get a statement of admission.

However, I got a strange email from DUO saying this:

Dear student,

Due to a court ruling there has been an important change in the Dutch admission and selection procedure. The result of this change is that from now on candidates that have obtained an European preliminary education will also be considered for direct access to an educational institution in the Netherlands. A condition is that candidates must be able to demonstrate that the final results from their native country are comparable to the average of 8 or higher in the Netherlands.

When you think you have achieved or will achieve a preliminary education of sufficient level to gain access to the higher education in the Netherlands, you have to fill in the request for direct access to the study and send it to DUO before July 1st 2012.

Click here for more information.

Kind regards,

DUO/Department Selection/CBAP

I looked up the requirements for IB (equivalent of 8.0 for dutch diploma) and it's 39 points... I definitely do not have 39 points. Does that mean I'm not accepted anymore?

This whole selection procedure is driving me insane, if someone has any idea of how this works and when I finally get the FINAL 'yes you are accepted.' (or no..) please help!!

Thank you in advanced.
Reply 181
Hi Duncan,

I will be coming to Maastricht in September and I have a question for you :smile: It is regarding jobs. You said that it is not that difficult to find. Could you please tell me where you searched for a job and what kind of job I can get as a english/German speaker? I know approximately 5 words in Dutch! :smile:

Any suggestions, any companies you think I should contact?
If you want, you write me a PM.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
Dino
Reply 182
I've just started looking at Maastricht and I've gotta say it looks pretty good... Anyone know what the reputation of the business school is like with employers, especially in London and other financial centres? Also, they don't seem to do a straight economics course, has anyone had experience with any of the courses offered?

The low tuition fees and living costs are really appealing, seems too good to be true!
Reply 183
Original post by carolinesunshine
Please help:

I have been selected through the decentralised selection procedure for BSc International Business and given a ranking, in the email it says that there will be a place reserved for me.

Does that mean I'm accepted? I thought it was until I read somewhere that you're only accepted if you get a statement of admission.

However, I got a strange email from DUO saying this:

Dear student,

Due to a court ruling there has been an important change in the Dutch admission and selection procedure. The result of this change is that from now on candidates that have obtained an European preliminary education will also be considered for direct access to an educational institution in the Netherlands. A condition is that candidates must be able to demonstrate that the final results from their native country are comparable to the average of 8 or higher in the Netherlands.

When you think you have achieved or will achieve a preliminary education of sufficient level to gain access to the higher education in the Netherlands, you have to fill in the request for direct access to the study and send it to DUO before July 1st 2012.

Click here for more information.

Kind regards,

DUO/Department Selection/CBAP

I looked up the requirements for IB (equivalent of 8.0 for dutch diploma) and it's 39 points... I definitely do not have 39 points. Does that mean I'm not accepted anymore?

This whole selection procedure is driving me insane, if someone has any idea of how this works and when I finally get the FINAL 'yes you are accepted.' (or no..) please help!!

Thank you in advanced.

It seems like the email you received from DUO was just a general email informing international students that from now on they can be classified in class A (direct entry) in the lottery system if they can prove that their qualification is equal to an average of 8.0 or above in the dutch VWO.

If I remember correctly, the international business course did not have the lottery anymore. If you have been selected through the decentralized admission process, I think you have an informal offer. Not sure if this is correct, but you need to receive a confirmation from DUO or Studielink (can't remember which) so your offer becomes official. I think you got in.
Hi everybody!!
This morning i did the interview for Maastricht Science Programme and i discovered, since my country is not part of the EU, that i have to pay 8000 euros...
It is a lot for me they sent me an email with some sites where i can find jobs for international students but:
1. I didn't discover anything
2. I didn't understand how it works
Somebody can explain me if it is possible for me to find a job (something for about 200/300 euro part time)?? Thank you very much, have a nice day!
Reply 185
Original post by lollofabbrism
Hi everybody!!
This morning i did the interview for Maastricht Science Programme and i discovered, since my country is not part of the EU, that i have to pay 8000 euros...
It is a lot for me they sent me an email with some sites where i can find jobs for international students but:
1. I didn't discover anything
2. I didn't understand how it works
Somebody can explain me if it is possible for me to find a job (something for about 200/300 euro part time)?? Thank you very much, have a nice day!

As regard to the jobs, it's relatively easy to find one in Maastricht. Everyone who looked for a job found one. But you have to be there and go in the pubs, shops, etc... And you can easily make 200/300 part-time, some of my friends make 400-450€, even 500€ working in hotels or other places.
Original post by Kaas
It seems like the email you received from DUO was just a general email informing international students that from now on they can be classified in class A (direct entry) in the lottery system if they can prove that their qualification is equal to an average of 8.0 or above in the dutch VWO.

If I remember correctly, the international business course did not have the lottery anymore. If you have been selected through the decentralized admission process, I think you have an informal offer. Not sure if this is correct, but you need to receive a confirmation from DUO or Studielink (can't remember which) so your offer becomes official. I think you got in.

Thank you for this! Although I know for a fact that the International Business course does still have the lottery, on the website it says for the 2012-2013 academic year it won't anymore. That year hasn't started yet, therefore this is the last year it will have it unfortunately. Also talked to DUO and they talked about how I still have to go through the lottery.

All I have to do now is send my IB diploma, and hopefully my ranking hasn't been pushed down by international students who did indeed have an equivalent of 8.0 grade average and therefore applied directly.

I hope this has also helped other people with the same questions.
Reply 187
Oh that's so confusing. Anyway, good luck!
I got my IB results, passed and diploma awarded. When do I get the confirmation about my place for BSc International Business? Anyone know? :/
Reply 189
Original post by carolinesunshine
I got my IB results, passed and diploma awarded. When do I get the confirmation about my place for BSc International Business? Anyone know? :/

Congrats on getting your diploma! Finally done with IB!
Anyway, DUO should start sending out "letters of confirmation" today, the 17th.
I received the exact same emails as you, and yes we did get in by the way.
Now I know that you don't have a diploma yet... My IB coordinator gave us a transcript/list of grades printed off candidates.ibo.org with his signature and a school stamp on it.
DUO knows that IB students don't have their diploma's yet, therefore you should send that little piece of paper making sure it's signed and stamped as soon as possible. DUO will then check it with the IBO and send you a letter confirming your place. And I wouldn't worry about not getting in. As long as your ranking number is not 650, be hopeful.
You won't get any confirmation unless you have send the list of grades, knowing that it takes time to arrive to their offices and they take long processing it with the IBO, etc.
I know all of this because I've been calling DUO and Maastricht like crazy. It seems as though no one at DUO knows anything about the IB....
Good luck with everything!
Original post by edward94
Now I know that you don't have a diploma yet... My IB coordinator gave us a transcript/list of grades printed off candidates.ibo.org with his signature and a school stamp on it.
DUO knows that IB students don't have their diploma's yet, therefore you should send that little piece of paper making sure it's signed and stamped as soon as possible. DUO will then check it with the IBO and send you a letter confirming your place. And I wouldn't worry about not getting in. As long as your ranking number is not 650, be hopeful.
You won't get any confirmation unless you have send the list of grades, knowing that it takes time to arrive to their offices and they take long processing it with the IBO, etc.
I know all of this because I've been calling DUO and Maastricht like crazy. It seems as though no one at DUO knows anything about the IB....

Hahaha I just saw this reply now, but what's funny is that I've also been calling Maastricht and DUO like crazy. This whole procedure has been a never ending nightmare. I did not receive any confirmation for my place from DUO, because I never got any paper from my IB coordinator like you did. So I called DUO and asked if I could just give them my username and password account to the ibo.org website, that would be sufficient for them to input my name in the lottery. So they did, I received an email saying that in a few days I will get my confirmation.. (hopefully?) :biggrin: This really nice woman from DUO, finally someone who gave me a solution. In Maastricht all they would tell me was 'no we need a hard copy, in August you well get the confirmation'. So I had to find my own way to find out, August is too late! I have a lot of traveling and room renting to organize still.

Anyway I hope this helped any other people with problems.

Thanks for your help too!
Original post by edward94

Oh and congrats on finishing IB too!
I'm glad I came across this thread. I am a tutor and some of my students were discussing studying abroad, so I will be able to show them this thread when we get back in September.
Reply 193
I'm starting in this September as well, and will be flying over from Singapore in 3 weeks time. I am in University College Maastricht, Liberal Arts and Science course. Looking forward to meet everyone !
Reply 194
Hey,

I just found this page and read about your experiences with UM, DUO, Studielink and thought that I am very right here :wink:

I have applied for International Business starting this summer. I got my ranking number (smaller then 650) and Studielink tells me, that I have passed the decentralised selection. But WHY THE HELL do I get to know via Studielink that I have to wait for the central lottery?

Isn't there a guaranteed place for those who passed the decentral selection?
The decentralised selection is basically the faculty deciding which students they think are eligible for the course. After the university send this information to DUO all the communication after that will come from them, and as Studielink is linked to DUO, you will know for definite through there what is going on (as DUO can send confusing emails sometimes that don't apply to everyone). You also have to confirm your place via Studielink so its very important to know whats going on there.

I work for the UK country team in Maastricht helping UK students so if you need any help let me know!! We're there waiting to hear from you :smile:
Reply 196
And guys by the way, for rooms, studios or apartments in Maastricht the period is kinda hard right now to look for something but there are some services such as http://www.studentflatmaastricht.com or MaaslandBeheer or other websites for students rentals!
Reply 197
Hi there,

I am a lot older than you all. I have read up to page 5 and felt since some of you are so knowledgable you could help.

I am 33 and recently lost a job. I decided that rather than look for a new job, I would apply through Clearing for a course to start Sept 2012 but now I have been researching a bit, I think study abroad would be a better step forward in terms of character building, language skills and a cultural experience.

Is it possible to apply for a course at the Maastricht this late for Sept 2012?

I would need to visit the UK (home) very often and I also I have a little studio I pay rent on and it is not ideal for me to give it up.

Do you know if I would have any financial help to live in Maastricht during term time or would it be possible to commute given the actual contact time is relatively little?

I have a child I support too. She lives with her father and stays with me in the holidays so I cannot move completely although I would like to, because she is happy at her school.

So in summary, would it be possibleto commute and maybe spend a night or two in a hostel during term time or do you think I could get financial help to live/ study there in the Maastricht whilst finding another way (part time work and possible grant) to support my child and to pay my UK rent?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Off to finish reading now..
Reply 198
Hi, I don't know if this thread is still active since it has been a while since the last message. Anyway I though I would write here just in case really.
I have applied for the February start for both the science programme and the maastricht university degree. These appealed to me as both allow you to keep a somewhat general study. I applied to both as I am yet to decided which would be best for me.
I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or experience of these course and would be willing to give me some insight into them.
I have applied to university's elsewhere in Europe as well and i am currently trying to decide which place will be the best for me to attend.

My other question is regarding maastricht itself. Is it a good place to live as a student, I have heard stories of it being really small with not much going on. This may however be excluding the student life and be referring to non students who live there. What is the social scene like e.g nightlife (clubs, pubs, bars), festivals, events and gatherings? I know uni is a place for learning but this side of this also plays a big part in choosing where to go for me.

One last thing, the girls were briefly mentioned. How do they stack up in regards to the rest of europe/the world. Is the university big? student numbers wise?

Thanks in advance if anyone sees this. If not, this sentence is invalid.
Im in my second year of IB. Can you tell me what the requirements would be for studying Management or Accounting? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending