The Student Room Group

Vegetarians who eat fish are confused.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by velociraptor
Fair enough. I apologise

Dont need to apologise, just was explaining so you dont think im completly illiterate
Reply 261
Original post by velociraptor
I think it's utterly cruel of you to write with so many mistakes. My eyes are bleeding.

If you're going to complain about someones writing at least get yours correct; you should have a semicolon in there.

:P
Original post by almasy
If you're going to complain about someones writing at least get yours correct; you should have a semicolon in there.

:P

No. Although you can use a semicolon, it's not mandatory. You can have two sentences by replacing a semicolon with a full stop, or alternatively by using 'and' or even a comma.

Oh, and "someone's".
Reply 263
Original post by ed_sodium
I think most pisitarians that do it for moral grounds do it on the grounds that fish dont feel pain rather than its creulto kill

Wether its been proven that fish cant feel pain or not is a different matter. Im vegetarian i just think its creul to kill painfree or not

Yeah I mean just look how they thrash around when out of water, let alone with its head cut off :tongue:
Original post by Muscovite
Well I'm a pescatarian because I don't like meat because it's stodgy and gives me the sh**s, simple as

Haha same :tongue:
Reply 265
Original post by blueray
Yeah I mean just look how they thrash around when out of water, let alone with its head cut off :tongue:

I know such a wee shame, my uncle caught a fish once but reeled it in too hard and cut it in half...
I don't care how much of a pain it is, pescetarians who call themselves veggies really piss me off so much. My cousin does it and she and I are the only non meat eaters in the family and at a wedding I was given a salmon dish, which I refused (balk!) I think fish is a far more strange and repulsive thing to eat than meat personally. These lazy, inconsiderate people make it difficult for proper veggies by confusing the general public. If I ever saw a fish option called vegetarian I'd majorly kick off. But I don't bother avoiding other products because animal products are in 99.9% of everything. Pure veganism is not possible in my opinion (I have no problem with the label vegan, but I don't see the point of a vegetarian being that anal when they will eat things like rennet without realising).
Original post by Botticello
I don't care how much of a pain it is, pescetarians who call themselves veggies really piss me off so much. My cousin does it and she and I are the only non meat eaters in the family and at a wedding I was given a salmon dish, which I refused (balk!) I think fish is a far more strange and repulsive thing to eat than meat personally. These lazy, inconsiderate people make it difficult for proper veggies by confusing the general public. If I ever saw a fish option called vegetarian I'd majorly kick off. But I don't bother avoiding other products because animal products are in 99.9% of everything. Pure veganism is not possible in my opinion (I have no problem with the label vegan, but I don't see the point of a vegetarian being that anal when they will eat things like rennet without realising).

Rennet is often meat-derived (i.e. it is not simply an animal product, but it also involves their slaughter), so it is not 'anal' of them to avoid it.
Oh wait, I think I get what you're saying...
I'm still going to post this anyway as I have already typed it...
Anyway, it is possible to be vegan, you just have to check packets carefully and stuff.
Original post by Botticello
Pure veganism is not possible in my opinion (I have no problem with the label vegan, but I don't see the point of a vegetarian being that anal when they will eat things like rennet without realising).

It's not anal, it's acting on your priciples.
What winds me up a treat is when I tell people I'm a vegetarian and then they go on to ask "what about fish? do you eat fish" Of course I don't. I'm vegetarian because I don't agree with the slaughter of animals, why would I think slaughtering fish is ok?
Original post by sarahthegemini
What winds me up a treat is when I tell people I'm a vegetarian and then they go on to ask "what about fish? do you eat fish" Of course I don't. I'm vegetarian because I don't agree with the slaughter of animals, why would I think slaughtering fish is ok?

I agree that if you say you're vegetarian people should probably already assume you don't eat fish as part of that... But they won't necessarily know that your reason for being a vegetarian is because of the moral implications of killing animals. I know plenty of people who just don't eat meat because of the taste/texture.
It all depends on the behaviour and lifestyle of the fish that is eaten. If the fish had a bad character, was lazy, unkind and nasty to its fellow fish, then why not make use of it and eat it?If however the fish was modest, kind and caring, it should be allowed to complete its natural life style.
Original post by kerily
You're not a vegetarian if you eat fish. Simple as that.

This.

Vegetarians who eat fish aren't confused, they're just not vegetarian, simple as that.

I've grown up pescetarian, and I'm going to be vegetarian as soon as my health improves. Sadly at the moment though I'm seriously underweight and need the protein - I'm 6' and I weigh 6st 9lbs.
Original post by ed_sodium
I think most pisitarians that do it for moral grounds do it on the grounds that fish dont feel pain rather than its creulto kill

Wether its been proven that fish cant feel pain or not is a different matter. Im vegetarian i just think its creul to kill painfree or not

Of course fish feel pain - they have nervous systems just like us.
I'm not one, but they're pescetarians. To my knowledge, they are obviously against eating animals, but eat fish in order to maintain protein levels and general good health.
I eat fish but not meat. I understand it would irk you If I called myself vegetarian (which I sometimes do) but I don't understand why you think it's your business to tell me I'm wrong for my choice in diet and reasons for it? It has nothing to do with you. I don't eat meat for ethical reasons, I eat fish once a week for greedy health reasons. I see that I have cut down my consumption of what I feel as unsustainable cruelty massively. This is where people have the wrong attitude, when it comes to eating ethically its not a case of black & white/you either eat all or none. It's a case of modifying your diet as the small changes make a massive difference. Eating non-battery farmed meat, eating meat less, considering where your food comes from all makes a significance difference and if people treated their meat this way and stopped being mindless consumers the industry would be far less monstrous.
My aunt calls herself vegetarian, but she eats so much fish, crab, lobsterand prawns. It's not occasionally, either. I don't have the right to judge, but I agree that people like her make things more difficult for genuine veggies. I don't have a problem with pescetarians as long as they don't call themselves true veggies. I also get fed up with asking me if I eat seafood, or serve it to me without asking what I want to eat when they find out I'm veggie. I don't eat crab and lobster because I hate the taste, and I don't eat fish or prawns because of the environmental and ecological consequences of overfishing, and they're still animals at the end of the day.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 277
Not all people are vegetarian for cruelty reasons. Some just don't like meat.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
I eat fish but not meat. I understand it would irk you If I called myself vegetarian (which I sometimes do) but I don't understand why you think it's your business to tell me I'm wrong for my choice in diet and reasons for it? It has nothing to do with you. I don't eat meat for ethical reasons, I eat fish once a week for greedy health reasons. I see that I have cut down my consumption of what I feel as unsustainable cruelty massively. This is where people have the wrong attitude, when it comes to eating ethically its not a case of black & white/you either eat all or none. It's a case of modifying your diet as the small changes make a massive difference. Eating non-battery farmed meat, eating meat less, considering where your food comes from all makes a significance difference and if people treated their meat this way and stopped being mindless consumers the industry would be far less monstrous.

100% agreed.
Original post by SophiaKeuning

Agreed. What happens is that some meat eaters, who know their eating habits are not the most compassionate or sustainable, defend their position by trying to pick holes in someone's diet as much as they can. I recently gave up meat, but still eat fish (i never call myself a vegetarian though) and a common response i seemed to get from meat eaters was "Ahhh but you still eat fish??? You still eat eggs?? How hypocritical of you!" Surely any attempt to cut down on something which causes widespread cruelty should be commended instead of undermined.

Quick Reply

Latest