The Student Room Group

Miles on a PEUGEOT 206

Hello guys... i am thinking about a PEUGEOT 206 1.1 or 1.4 as my first car but as I only have 2k for it.. I was wondering what was good miles were like is 50,000 - 60,000 miles a lot of miles for a PEUGEOT 206 (1999-2001 model). I will be keeping the car for about 3 years but only doing about 3000 miles a year. Basically I want to know the maximum miles for a Peugeot 206 before I would start to have problems. Sorry another ramdon question is could i change the cd player in them or are they fixed?

Thanks for any comments.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
50-60 is fine IMHO anything over 80k i wouldnt get unless its a very rare and older car (gold mk1 M3 E30 etc etc)
Reply 2
Better to go with something with more miles than low miles as the engine will be more worn out with not having time to go through the full warmup.

A car that's done 60k miles will only have done ~7k a year, far less than the national average, but I agree with KoG that anything over 80k is asking for trouble, only because it's french.
kingofgods
50-60 is fine IMHO anything over 80k i wouldnt get unless its a very rare and older car (gold mk1 M3 E30 etc etc)

Cars are good up until 120k at least before you get quirks. It'll do 200k before it needs a rebuild. A diesel engine will go forever tho. I've been picked up in some trucks which have over half a million miles. The most being 540,000! Mileage isnt everything when it comes to cars. I'd be more intrested in if the previous owner does town or motorway driving, long or short journeys and how often they service it. A well serviced car with 120k is better than any 80k mystery.
Reply 4
peugeot 206s start having troubles from around the 20 - 25k mark... that's the time they normally start coming into the service centre anyway with problems like 'my windscreen wipers come on when i turn my lights on', and 'my engine isn't running smooth anymore' ... :p:
Reply 5
The Hitchhiker
Cars are good up until 120k at least before you get quirks. It'll do 200k before it needs a rebuild. A diesel engine will go forever tho. I've been picked up in some trucks which have over half a million miles. The most being 540,000! Mileage isnt everything when it comes to cars. I'd be more intrested in if the previous owner does town or motorway driving, long or short journeys and how often they service it. A well serviced car with 120k is better than any 80k mystery.

Service history comment is spot on...
pumpkin7
peugeot 206s start having troubles from around the 20 - 25k mark... that's the time they normally start coming into the service centre anyway with problems like 'my windscreen wipers come on when i turn my lights on', and 'my engine isn't running smooth anymore' ... :p:

and this is the reason why you should never buy a french bag of crap
Reply 7
Bavarian Motor Works
and this is the reason why you should never buy a french bag of crap

Not all french cars are a bag of crap...imho bmw's are..common mans car...

Clio 197 all the way:cool:
Reply 8
ive had my 206 for a couple of years and never had a single problem. the insurance group for the 1.4 and 1.6 is the same, so don't do the dumb thing that i did and pick the 1.4 for cheaper insurance because it isn't! try and look for a glx model if you can, because then you get all the fancy extras. you can get really cheap good 1.1s but the engine is very weak, but then again if it's your first car and you are not driving hundreds of miles a weak then who cares?!
kingofgods
Not all french cars are a bag of crap...imho bmw's are..common mans car...

Clio 197 all the way:cool:

Ok 80% are .....

i agree bmws are for too common in England :biggrin::wink:
Reply 10
I'd have the HDI with about 150k on the clock. Pick it up for next to nothing. Engine will be reliable, as long as its serviced. Sort you out. A mate drives a 306 with 330k on the clock. Its an old XUD, unsuprisingly. Cost £50 from an auction, and hasn't gone wrong since.

But anything above 100k on a Pug petrol is asking for trouble, depending on history, use and the like.
Reply 11
The main problem I have with my 306 diesel I've not had a serious problem enough for an excuse to get a new car yet! Noisy when it's cold, but it's standing up well against most similar cars of the same age I've been in/seen, even the interior!

Think it's already been said, but the 1.1 will be a bit slower than the 1.4, but you may save on insurance etc. Don't forget, if it's an older car, tax will be the same on the 1.1/1.4, but the 1.6 and 2.0 diesel will be in the higher bracket.
Reply 12
Minardi
I'd have the HDI with about 150k on the clock. Pick it up for next to nothing. Engine will be reliable, as long as its serviced. Sort you out. A mate drives a 306 with 330k on the clock. Its an old XUD, unsuprisingly. Cost £50 from an auction, and hasn't gone wrong since.

But anything above 100k on a Pug petrol is asking for trouble, depending on history, use and the like.

Pfft... my 205 GTI has done 108,000, and its fine.. honest :biggrin:
Reply 13
cRaig
Pfft... my 205 GTI has done 108,000, and its fine.. honest :biggrin:

I've read your thread... :p:
Reply 14
alwaysagoth100
Hello guys... i am thinking about a PEUGEOT 206 1.1 or 1.4 as my first car but as I only have 2k for it.. I was wondering what was good miles were like is 50,000 - 60,000 miles a lot of miles for a PEUGEOT 206 (1999-2001 model). I will be keeping the car for about 3 years but only doing about 3000 miles a year. Basically I want to know the maximum miles for a Peugeot 206 before I would start to have problems. Sorry another ramdon question is could i change the cd player in them or are they fixed?

Thanks for any comments.

3,000 per year? Is it worth getting a car??? That's expensive mileage.
Reply 15
I think I do about 6k per year.... Don't know though as its a shared car.
Reply 16
Minardi

Aaaand? nothing bad in there... :p:
Reply 17
I third the service history comment.
Higher milage cars tend to be long distance ones rather than a 'pop to the shops' car. Long distances are better for the car, but as someone did say, the French aren't fantastic with petrol engines. Their diesels on the other hand - will literally go on and on and on and on etc...(if serviced properly etc.)
The older true French XUDs IMHO are more reliable than the newer Ford HDI units.
Reply 18
Minardi

My 306 GTi managed 50k before it blew a HG, then a big-end. :wink:

Pugs are just rubbish cars.

OP - My Mum ridiculously quite a few years ago thought about getting a 206 for work! She had to have it AA inspected (work rules), which Pug said it had been through a 200-point check.

Put it this way, the car actually failed an MOT.

Peugeot are rubbish, the garages are rubbish and the whole experience apart from GTi ownership is rubbish.
I strongly advise something more reliable.

I don't care for people who say "well my Pug lasted 3 years without hardly a problem" - very ****ing lucky you then!

I'd honestly look into a Corsa, Yaris, Jazz etc. These cars, if they did experience problems in it's old age won't be a nightmare to put right.

The only good thing about Pug is parts are ubiquitous.
Reply 19
haha.. its good to see that peugeot ownership didnt make you too bitter :p:
I still love my little pug, most of the things that have gone wrong with it have been down to neglect and bodges done by other people.
I still think it was a good buy, I dont know what else I could have bought for just over a grand that would put as much of a smile on my face..

Latest