The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
just thinking if GAS and SAM/HPA comes up as an 18 marker, there's criticism for GAS, but not for the SAM/ HPA system. So we wouldn't get all the marks for A02 - unless i'm missing something (please tell me if i am), will this come up as an 18 marker?
Reply 21
and yes PYA3 predictions please!!??
All 3 As units are quite easy and theres not much too remember. You can learn all the material and be able to answer any question. Don't rely on predictions...
Reply 23
For personality and gender i am just gonna learn it for 6 marks and if it comes up then do the other question. but if it comes up for both which i seriously hope it doesnt then i am screwed. wots the chances of it happening do u reckon?

Eg
1 (c) describe personality and evaluate

2 (c) decribe gender and evaluate
Reply 24
That's never ever ever happened. I don't think they're allowed to.

I think i've learnt personality up to 18 mark standard and also gender up to 18 mark standard I think) so i will be happy if personality in MEOS comes up for an 18 marker, and ectsatic if individual differences come up as an 18 marker (what are the chances of this happening?).. but not so if gender comes up.
Reply 25
how many (developed) A02 points do we need in the 18 markers to get full A02 credit?
Reply 26
are you just resiting PYA2? coz i am and i was wondering how much revision are you planning on doing for this/each paper?

For the A02 points I would have thought 4 points could easily get full A02 if elaborated.

Does any1 have a good way of learning AFPCCs as I could stare at one for an entire day and not remember it the next. Thankfully theres only 6 to learn for PYA2
Reply 27
I'm retaking PYA2 and PYA3... but I got a U in PYA2 in June, so i'm concentrating on that (don't ask why, various reasons... but my module marks were: AUC, a very high A and a very high C...

so really am concentrating on PYA2 to try and get it to A grade standard. PYA1 will probs be a last minute job.

I started revising for PYA2 on the 22nd December... and am still revising stress off it (think i'm going to finish that today), will do research methods tomorrow, and then New years day, i'm starting abnormality. Hopefully won't take as long as stress.

Does abnormality take a shorter amount of time than stress??

Thanks for the A02 stuff. Have that covered I think.

Basically, to learn APFCCs, write it out on prompt cards and take a section at a time. e,g, write the aim out, then the aim again, then cover it up, then write it again until you know it without having to think about it (aims are shorter so should take about 10 mins to learn).

Then write the procedure out (maybe a sentence at a time) and cover and write, and cover and write etc.... Once you get to the end, rewrite the whole thing out again, and again, and again, and again.

Go to bed.... wake up the next morning write it out again, spend the day revising other topics and learn another APFCC study on the evening, Once that is done, write the first one out again, then the second one.. go to bed, wake up and write them both out again.... and so on...

It's very time consuming (takes me about 4 hours to learn a study, but i'm not great a remembering things, so it should take a shorter amount of time for the average person). It works though, and the more times you 'rehearse' it, the longer it'll stay in your LTM!

I'm pretty much learning everything word-for-word. is that what you're doing, or are you just getting a general gist of things for the exam?
Reply 28
yer trying to learn word-for-word but failing at the AFPCCs so will try your method.

I am finding that abnormality is a lot less than stress as theres only 2 AFPCCs as bulimia is no longer required for the critical issue section - just biological and psychological explanations of abnormality of anorexia.

Also not bothering to learn A02 content of the psychological models of abnormality which cuts out a lot of learning but means i will probably be limited to one of the two 18 markers. so i only need to know a02 content on definitions (although i doubt it will come up), biological model, biological and psychological explanations of anorexia.
Reply 29
I got 86 on PYA3 :-), then 70 on PYA2 and 73 on PYA1 so resiting PYa2 in an attempt to bring my grade up to an A
Reply 30
just biological and psychological explanations of abnormality of anorexia.

WHAT?

*goes to check specification...*

hang on it says:

"The clinical characteristics of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Explanations of these eating disorders in terms of biological and psychological models of abnormality, including research studies on which these explanations are based"

------
Any tips for blitzing PYA3, since you seemed to do so well?
mark______
yer trying to learn word-for-word but failing at the AFPCCs so will try your method.

I am finding that abnormality is a lot less than stress as theres only 2 AFPCCs as bulimia is no longer required for the critical issue section - just biological and psychological explanations of abnormality of anorexia.

Also not bothering to learn A02 content of the psychological models of abnormality which cuts out a lot of learning but means i will probably be limited to one of the two 18 markers. so i only need to know a02 content on definitions (although i doubt it will come up), biological model, biological and psychological explanations of anorexia.

Do you really not need to know about bulimia - old spec?

I doubt definitions will come out as an 18 marker because it was an 18 marker in summer
You need to know both. It used to be that teachers only really taught one, then one year, out of the blue the exam board put bulimia on there and a load of people couldn't answer the question as they weren't taught about it. Moral of the story - learn both.

What is predicted for PYA1? I need to revise that ... I've never revised before ... got DED in last year's Psychology exams, so I'm going to retake PYA1 in Jan, probably retake PYA2 or 3 in June. But I'm going with the revision card method I think ...
Reply 33
how long has it taken people to learn abnormality? shorter than stress?
lol2003
just biological and psychological explanations of abnormality of anorexia.

WHAT?

*goes to check specification...*
hang on it says:

"The clinical characteristics of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Explanations of these eating disorders in terms of biological and psychological models of abnormality, including research studies on which these explanations are based"

------
Any tips for blitzing PYA3, since you seemed to do so well?

I got 92 on PYA3 and had to answer the question about anorexia/bulimia in the summer....
I ran out of time and only wrote about anorexia and like 2 sentences on bulimia...
Reply 35
You need to know the clinical characteristics for both anorexia and bulimia

but....

Since june 06 they can no longer specify for the explanations of eating disorders. They can only ask the following

Describe and evaluate eating disorders (a and/or b) in terms of biological/psychological explanations

NB: they have not taken bulimia out of the spec but they can no longer specify one of the eating disorders. Thus you can get away with knowing just a study into biological explanations of eating disorders (Holland for anorexia) and a study into psychological explanations of eating disorders (Field or Becker for anorexia) so i will only learn these for anorexia.

If any of you have the Psychology AS: The complete companion, then turn to page 145 and it says what i said above in the red box. But i know this from my teacher who contacted AQA regarding it.

Hope this helps
Reply 36
lol2003
how long has it taken people to learn abnormality? shorter than stress?

well i like the stress section more, so it should take me less time for stress than abnormality section.
Reply 37
mark______

Describe and evaluate eating disorders (a and/or b) in terms of biological/psychological explanations

NB: they have not taken bulimia out of the spec but they can no longer specify one of the eating disorders. Thus you can get away with knowing just a study into biological explanations of eating disorders (Holland for anorexia) and a study into psychological explanations of eating disorders (Field or Becker for anorexia) so i will only learn these for anorexia.

so is that all that we need to know for the critical issue but then ?
Reply 38
yer. just be sure you can answer these two questions for the critical issue:

Describe and evaluate the biological explanation for anorexia and/or bulimia
Describe and evaluate the psychological explanation for anorexia and/or bulimia

Thats all u need
Reply 39
cool.

Latest

Trending

Trending