The Student Room Group

argghh problem

Ok i'm about to start a BN Child nursing degree at Southampton and I have chosen basingstoke as my placement area. I chose basingstoke as this would allow me to live at home. However, now after finding out that i'm going to receive no NHS bursary this makes my financial situation pretty poor. I now have two options, do I decide to live at home and commute to my lectures as its only going to be 2-3 days per week- hopefully being cheaper than paying accomodation, or do i stick it out with my accomodation (which i don't know where i will be yet) and live in southampton and then when i'm on placements live at home but then will have traveling costs on top of accomodation costs when i might not even be in my room!!! Anyone on the nursing course know if the choice we made for placements on the interview day is definate?? is there anyone else who is going to be living at home and commuting? Anyone else put their placement option down as basingstoke??
Please help!!!:confused:
Reply 1
arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Reply 2
Hi,

I am doing Adult Nursing and I have opted for Basingstoke campus and Basingstoke placement. I am going to be commuting from Newbury every day.

I am a very mature student who would love to live in accommodation but doesn't think the kids would like it!!!

A friend of mine is doing a Child Nursing and will also be commuting every day from Newbury.

Don't know if any of this helps you at all :smile:
Reply 3
ha! totally agree i am 41, now my youngest is 19 living in seems a wonderful idea, especially as dad is still at home to watch out for him oooh i sound cruel dont i???
Reply 4
Ettenna.....that really does help.....will you be driving to southampton for lectures?
Reply 5
Original post by NicolaR
Ettenna.....that really does help.....will you be driving to southampton for lectures?

Not sure yet - depends if I still have a car :smile: I am driving my daughter's atm and she has taken one test and has another booked. If I can get a new car, I may drive. Either that or I will get to Basingstoke somehow (bus or train) and get the minibus transport to Soton.

It also depends on whether my friend doing child nursing is at Soton at the same times as me. We may be able to car share.

It's all still up in the air - especially as I have just got the letter saying about a campus change!!

Where is "home" for you NicolaR? (if you don't mind me asking).

@nikki smith - I am 43 and my youngest is 15.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
What did the letter say about the change in campus?
Do you mean a change from highfield campus in soton?
Home for me is Reading.....so i would get the train to Soton for lectures etc an drive to my placements if they are in basingstoke and surrounding areas.
I just got my accomodation through and it would cost nearly £5000 a year.....this has definately persuaded me to live at home as i just can't afford it
Reply 7
Original post by Xx...Anzal...xX
Is nursing competitive ?????

VERY!!!!!
Reply 8
Original post by NicolaR
What did the letter say about the change in campus?
Do you mean a change from highfield campus in soton?
Home for me is Reading.....so i would get the train to Soton for lectures etc an drive to my placements if they are in basingstoke and surrounding areas.
I just got my accomodation through and it would cost nearly £5000 a year.....this has definately persuaded me to live at home as i just can't afford it

OK so just down the road from me. I may well get the train from Newbury to Soton for lectures.

I applied for Basingstoke campus. I don't think there was that option for child nursing, only adult. I have just been to Rewind this weekend so have got to phone Soton today to make sure I reply before Wednesday or I'll lose my place!!!
Reply 9
Change of campus is confirmed!! Diploma teaching is at Portsmouth and degree teaching is at Soton. No Basingstoke for me :frown:

I have confirmed my place now.

Train journey here I come.
Reply 10
No Basingstoke for me :smile: Was an error on their system. Southampton here I come!
Now all they need to do is get the date of graduation right on the enrolment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending