The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Hendrefoelan Student Village 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
How much do bus passes cost? I guess we'll need them if we're in the village!
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 41
Hi! I'm in flat 225, anyone else nearby?
Reply 42
Original post by Jamesrb
How much do bus passes cost? I guess we'll need them if we're in the village!

It depends how you pay. If you want it for the 3 terms and holidays in between, it's about £380. It seems a lot, but the village is by far the cheapest accomm so it's probably less than the cost of the difference. (e.g. annual Village flat = £2920, annual Caswell on campus flat = £3708) And yeah, you'll want a bus pass, the individual ticket prices are terrible. You definitely use up far more than 380-odd quid's worth of tickets throughout the year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Cicerao
It depends how you pay. If you want it for the 3 terms and holidays in between, it's about £380. It seems a lot, but the village is by far the cheapest accomm so it's probably less than the cost of the difference. (e.g. annual Village flat = £2920, annual Caswell on campus flat = £3708) And yeah, you'll want a bus pass, the individual ticket prices are terrible. You definitely use up far more than 380-odd quid's worth of tickets throughout the year.

How long would it take to walk to the university?
Reply 44
Original post by mconnorm
How long would it take to walk to the university?

I never did it. Probably too long to do regularly. I've heard reports of 45 minutes.
Hi, I'm also starting Swansea University in September and hopefully will get a place in Hendrefoelan Student Village so will probably need a bus pass. Just wondering does the bus pass that you say costs about £380 for the year go all around Swansea (to the City Centre) or is it just to get to the uni?
Thanks x
Original post by missmorganian
Hi, I'm also starting Swansea University in September and hopefully will get a place in Hendrefoelan Student Village so will probably need a bus pass. Just wondering does the bus pass that you say costs about £380 for the year go all around Swansea (to the City Centre) or is it just to get to the uni?
Thanks x

I believe it covers Swansea and Neath.
house 41 room 5, anyone else?
Reply 48
Original post by Cicerao
* Everyone has totally different schedules so it's not hectic.
* Buses are 4/5 times an hour, sometimes you'll be standing but they're not too bad.

That's a relief. Thanks for that. :smile:
Reply 49
flat 58 here! :smile:
Reply 50
Seriously considering taking a bike and cycling into the university to save on costs, also to have a bike down there for cycling along the beach, do many people do this and are there bike lock facilites etc at the village? I've google maps'd it and its only 2.5 miles which is not far at all for cycling? Any info would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 51
I've been told riding down there is a piece of cake but apparently the journey back to the student village is hellish, especially after a long day!

But, I'm seriously considering just walking to and fro. It is only 2.5 miles like you said, would take about 20 mins!
Reply 52
Original post by wycombe13
Seriously considering taking a bike and cycling into the university to save on costs, also to have a bike down there for cycling along the beach, do many people do this and are there bike lock facilites etc at the village? I've google maps'd it and its only 2.5 miles which is not far at all for cycling? Any info would be appreciated :smile:

Yeah, some people do this. There are bike sheds in the village and at the uni. If you have a flat you could even leave your bike in the kitchen since there's room (if your flatmates don't object.)

Original post by Akhil1993
I've been told riding down there is a piece of cake but apparently the journey back to the student village is hellish, especially after a long day!

But, I'm seriously considering just walking to and fro. It is only 2.5 miles like you said, would take about 20 mins!

It takes 12 minutes on the bus, good luck walking it in 20 minutes! :lolwut: Unless you're one of those fitness freaks who can leg it.
Reply 53
Yeah man, I'm faster than Usain Bolt. :biggrin:

Okay, no I'm definitely not...I maaaaay have slightly underestimated. :P
30 mins? I wouldn't be arsed to walk more than that in the mornings....haha.
Reply 54
Original post by Cicerao
Yeah, some people do this. There are bike sheds in the village and at the uni. If you have a flat you could even leave your bike in the kitchen since there's room (if your flatmates don't object.)

Thanks for your help.
Reply 55
Hsv134/06
Original post by wycombe13

I know a lot of the people on my course are planning on cycling. I'll be getting the bus.
Reply 57
HSV010/03 + computer science for me
Reply 58
HSV139/06 and Engineering for Me!!
Reply 59
Turns out that i think they have ****ed up with my accomodation. I looked and the accomodation i have is for postgrads and medical students and is a 47 week contract or something like that and im neither a medical student nor post grad so hopefully they can reply to my email soon and sort it out.

Quick Reply

Latest