The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carcinoma
Admissions are really busy right now, they are trying to confirm all the students and ensure the campuses have been allocated correctly.

I would wait until the 1st week of September, once groups for PBL/anatomy and such have been allocated.

Yeah, all the confirmations are going on so I will just wait. No real hurry as I have time to decide :smile: I'm just to so nervous about reapplying and as a resit applicant :s-smilie: I so want an offer and to get the grades this time round!
Original post by areyousure?
Yeah, all the confirmations are going on so I will just wait. No real hurry as I have time to decide :smile: I'm just to so nervous about reapplying and as a resit applicant :s-smilie: I so want an offer and to get the grades this time round!

Peninsula should definitely be at the top of your list assuming you get a UKCAT of at least ~640, and are predicted A*AA (or A*A on what ever you are resitting), They should interview you.

Feel free to ask me anything you like, I went through the exact dilemma you are going through 2 years ago.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Peninsula should definitely be at the top of your list assuming you get a UKCAT of at least ~640, and are predicted A*AA (or A*A on what ever you are resitting), They should interview you.

Feel free to ask me anything you like, I went through the exact dilemma you are going through 2 years ago.

ive resat and achieved AAAa but didnt get any offers this year. But im planning on applying one more time, due you think getting a ukcat of above 650+ and my grades would be sufficient for an interview =/
Original post by hopes
ive resat and achieved AAAa but didnt get any offers this year. But im planning on applying one more time, due you think getting a ukcat of above 650+ and my grades would be sufficient for an interview =/

I really don't know, it depends on the competition.

But based on previous years, I would have thought so.

3A's in hand is better than A*AA in the bush.

Thank you :smile: It is going to be so hard to get an A* though. I already have AA and now I am resitting two Bs to push them up but I don't think so I can get an A* in them or even get the school to predict me an A* :s-smilie: ugh..such a difficult situation!

I will let you know if I have any questions, thanks!
Reply 25
Thank you :smile: It is going to be so hard to get an A* though. I already have AA and now I am resitting two Bs to push them up but I don't think so I can get an A* in them or even get the school to predict me an A* :s-smilie: ugh..such a difficult situation!

I will let you know if I have any questions, thanks!

I was expecting to get a B for my psych A level due to the last exam,
It was horrible and I needed 80% to get an A (100% to get an A*)

I hated the exam and thought I'd have to make up for it in other grades.

I got my results and found out i got 100% in the paper.
I had to ask my teacher if they wern't taking the piss because I was certain I'd messed it up.

You never know how you;ll do in an exam. It depends on how you are on the day and can be down to sheer luck of the questions.
There's no guaranteed way of getting an A* (In chem I got 90 -95% for two years and ended up missing the A* by 14 marks because of my last exam)

So just be lucky and work hard.
Doesn't matter what they predict you, just work your balls off and prove them wrong.
Hey guys, I'm a re-applicant (currently taking a gap year) and was considering applying to Peninsula.

I am working as a Health Care Assistant paid full time.
My GCSE's are 3A* (sciences) 5A and 3B
A levels are: Biology A, Chemistry A, Economics A, and AS Physics b
I haven't taken my UKCAT yet as it is booked for a months time, but last year I got 642.5 average, and so can expect at least that this year.

I was wondering if anyone could give me insight into whether they think I have a decent chance of getting an interview here, as although i love the course and the location, I do need a realistic chance of getting in as a second gap year does not appeal.

Thanks for the help.
Reply 27
Original post by Steerforth
Hey guys, I'm a re-applicant (currently taking a gap year) and was considering applying to Peninsula.

I am working as a Health Care Assistant paid full time.
My GCSE's are 3A* (sciences) 5A and 3B
A levels are: Biology A, Chemistry A, Economics A, and AS Physics b
I haven't taken my UKCAT yet as it is booked for a months time, but last year I got 642.5 average, and so can expect at least that this year.

I was wondering if anyone could give me insight into whether they think I have a decent chance of getting an interview here, as although i love the course and the location, I do need a realistic chance of getting in as a second gap year does not appeal.

Thanks for the help.

As long as you get a decent UKCAT (i'd call 660+ safe as last eyar the cut off was 637.5 and you should allow for increases)
I think you should be grand for an interview.

I don't know who they give the A*AA offer to but they also offer AAA.

Actually I'm gonna email them and ask which applicants would get the A*AA offer like I heard that it could be re-applicants, or people with lower GCSE's or resiters.
Original post by joemullally
As long as you get a decent UKCAT (i'd call 660+ safe as last eyar the cut off was 637.5 and you should allow for increases)
I think you should be grand for an interview.

I don't know who they give the A*AA offer to but they also offer AAA.

Actually I'm gonna email them and ask which applicants would get the A*AA offer like I heard that it could be re-applicants, or people with lower GCSE's or resiters.

That would be great if you emailed them and then updated us on their reply. Obviously it would be crazy someone like me applying there with AAA only to be rejected because I don't have A*AA.

Thanks
I was expecting to get a B for my psych A level due to the last exam,
It was horrible and I needed 80% to get an A (100% to get an A*)

I hated the exam and thought I'd have to make up for it in other grades.

I got my results and found out i got 100% in the paper.
I had to ask my teacher if they wern't taking the piss because I was certain I'd messed it up.

You never know how you;ll do in an exam. It depends on how you are on the day and can be down to sheer luck of the questions.
There's no guaranteed way of getting an A* (In chem I got 90 -95% for two years and ended up missing the A* by 14 marks because of my last exam)

So just be lucky and work hard.
Doesn't matter what they predict you, just work your balls off and prove them wrong.

Thanks for that!! Yeah this year it I have to work soo much !

Also, if you ask about the AAA / A*AA offer please let me know :P I wanted to ask but seeing as they are very busy and they didn't reply to my first email I didn't want to send in another one :smile:

Thanks
Reply 30
Thanks for that!! Yeah this year it I have to work soo much !

Also, if you ask about the AAA / A*AA offer please let me know :P I wanted to ask but seeing as they are very busy and they didn't reply to my first email I didn't want to send in another one :smile:

Thanks

Original post by Steerforth
That would be great if you emailed them and then updated us on their reply. Obviously it would be crazy someone like me applying there with AAA only to be rejected because I don't have A*AA.

Thanks

I'm gonna give them a couple of weeks till everything dies down before emailing them.

Then about five mins after they reply i'll post back in here, keep watching :P.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm gonna give them a couple of weeks till everything dies down before emailing them.

Then about five mins after they reply i'll post back in here, keep watching :P.

Yeah, great idea :P haha
Thank you very much ! :smile:
Reply 32
I got 642.5 for UKCAT.
Is peninsula too risky?
Reply 33
Original post by racer_dude
I got 642.5 for UKCAT.
Is peninsula too risky?

That was their cut off for last year, It's likely to go up so I would say it's risky but not impossible.
Hey guys, just an update as they answered my emails :smile:
I asked about the A*AA offers and they said that they just introduce that offer for those who are predicted A*s, so I also said if it had something to do with resit applicants and they answered saying that it was just for those students who have A* predictions... I guess that in you are not predicted A* you won't get the A*AA offer then.
Reply 35
Hey guys, just an update as they answered my emails :smile:
I asked about the A*AA offers and they said that they just introduce that offer for those who are predicted A*s, so I also said if it had something to do with resit applicants and they answered saying that it was just for those students who have A* predictions... I guess that in you are not predicted A* you won't get the A*AA offer then.

Maybee it's a thing to stop tutors over predicting students in an attempt to improve their chances of a place.

Leveling out the playing field like.

Or maybe it's about "stretching students"
Maybee it's a thing to stop tutors over predicting students in an attempt to improve their chances of a place.

Leveling out the playing field like.

Or maybe it's about "stretching students"

I think 3 a's is enough to get into peninsula. They are pretty chilled out compared with other medical schools
Reply 37
Original post by iceman_jondoe
I think 3 a's is enough to get into peninsula. They are pretty chilled out compared with other medical schools

Three A's is enough to get into all med schools apart from a select few colleges at Cambridge.
Peninsula said they give out A*AA offers to those predicted A*'s in an email to someone on here.

I was just speculating man. There could be any reason that they do this. Three A's is enough if you're predicted three A's.
If your teachers predict you A*A*A your offer would be A*AA and you'd miss it with three A's. You'd probably be able to beg your way in though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Three A's is enough to get into all med schools apart from a select few colleges at Cambridge.
Peninsula said they give out A*AA offers to those predicted A*'s in an email to someone on here.

I was just speculating man. There could be any reason that they do this. Three A's is enough if you're predicted three A's.
If your teachers predict you A*A*A your offer would be A*AA and you'd miss it with three A's. You'd probably be able to beg your way in though.

So really the moral of the story is to just get predicted AAA so that you don't have to work harder to get an A* I'm still surprised pms make a* offers now I thought only Oxbridge would do that
Original post by iceman_jondoe
So really the moral of the story is to just get predicted AAA so that you don't have to work harder to get an A* I'm still surprised pms make a* offers now I thought only Oxbridge would do that

Yes AAA better than the A*s except if you are going for Cambridge. Birmingham will also make some A*AA offers.

Quick Reply

Latest