The Student Room Group

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2180
Amazon, you are the most useless piece of **** in the world.

The game was dispatched and the delivery estimate said today and ONLY today. :angry::angry::angry::angry:
And whilst I wait . . .

Jeremy Soule's at it again - writing music I love.
OK how do I play as a stealthy character? I don't want any sword fights or anything like that.
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting Skyrim tomorrow! Only thing being I haven't played many RPGs, Fable is probably about the most hardcore I've gone :P Would someone pretty new to the genre be able to make sense of it/enjoy it? I'm off sick from work until at least January so I have plenty of time and want to get addicted to something to take my mind off things :P
Original post by shark67
OK how do I play as a stealthy character? I don't want any sword fights or anything like that.

Crouch + arrows + daggers + poison + light armour + lockpicks + speech

I always found Argonians and Bosmer/Wood Elves to be the best sleuthers, Wood Elves because they're the best archers and Argonians because they can spend infinite time underwater and can regenerate if they get spotted and engaged in combat. Bretons are excellent stealth mages, as well. Stealth is also about being able to talk your way past confrontations, avoiding detection altogether, and higher speech will also let you get more for the extra loot that you can bag without cumbersome heavy armour and weapons. Use poison on your weapons to increase their efficacy.
To those with the Xbox 360 version: Do not install Skyrim to your Xbox hard drive as it causes texture loading problems. Bethesda is currently planning a patch for the issue but until then people should play the game from the disk.

http://kotaku.com/5858743/bethesda-working-on-skyrim-graphics-problems-on-xbox-advises-not-installing-yet

I verified this with my copy, played it off the disk, then decided to install and after an hour or so of game play some of the textures began downscaling. To fix the problem uninstall the game, wipe the cache, play off disk until patch comes out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2186
Original post by Facticity

I doubt it will be sold out everywhere. It will probably be in some places, but if you wanted it, I'm sure you could find it. It definitely wouldn't be a waste :coma:

It was sold out at the store (but they had a whole display of MW at the front :argh: ) so despite my poorly feet I'm going to be walking into town tomorrow :teehee:

The prospect of gaming tends to get me walking more then the idea of exercise :mmm:
Original post by Truered

Original post by Truered
It was sold out at the store (but they had a whole display of MW at the front :argh: ) so despite my poorly feet I'm going to be walking into town tomorrow :teehee:

The prospect of gaming tends to get me walking more then the idea of exercise :mmm:

:console: Well, you're feet will thank you when your Skyrim makes you a chair bound, comatose ES addict who rarely leaves the provision of their chair except for bathroom and food/order food :tongue:
Reply 2188
:console: Well, you're feet will thank you when your Skyrim makes you a chair bound, comatose ES addict who rarely leaves the provision of their chair except for bathroom and food/order food :tongue:

If it manages to grab me like ME2 did last year the controller might become a part of my hands :nyoron:

Forget food, I just have some canned drinks to keep be going :ahee:
I miss the sun and the pastures of green grass from Oblivion. Snow gets a bit depressing.

Original post by fire2burn
To those with the Xbox 360 version: Do not install Skyrim to your Xbox hard drive as it causes texture loading problems. Bethesda is currently planning a patch for the issue but until then people should play the game from the disk.

http://kotaku.com/5858743/bethesda-working-on-skyrim-graphics-problems-on-xbox-advises-not-installing-yet

I verified this with my copy, played it off the disk, then decided to install and after an hour or so of game play some of the textures began downscaling. To fix the problem uninstall the game, wipe the cache, play off disk until patch comes out.

I knew something was up but thought the day one patch would have fixed it. Whilst the general environment is beautiful, some of the textures such as the ground, clothing and rocks are Playstation 1 level textures.

Going to try deleting the install now. I guess the best way to clear cache is to play another game? I don't want to manually remove the cache: doing so on the 360 removes updates for every single game you've ever played.
Original post by Truered

Original post by Truered
If it manages to grab me like ME2 did last year the controller might become a part of my hands :nyoron:

Forget food, I just have some canned drinks to keep be going :ahee:

It will grab you in more ways than ME2 would ever dream of :moon:

Forget sustenance, just play :awesome:

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I miss the sun and the pastures of green grass from Oblivion. Snow gets a bit depressing.

:ditto:

Whilst the general environment is beautiful, some of the textures such as the ground, clothing and rocks are Playstation 1 level textures.

Should have gotten pc version... jus' sayin' :flute:

So racist tbh. And btw, strat guide? Pathetic mate :pierre:

I also have a habit of killing all non-human looking NPCs on sight. Again, no racist. :pierre:

Guide is awesome. Don't be jelly.

Should have gotten pc version... jus' sayin' :flute:

I like my Party Chat tbh. :sly:
What is everyone doing at the moment?

Currently doing the Mage related quests.
Reply 2193
Started as a high born elf, restarted already to be a dark elf :mmm:
At the start I followed the faggy Imperial dude who wanted to chop my head off, am I stuck with the Imperials for the rest of the game???

I want to be part of the other group :frown: I might start again, been playing it all day though, oops.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I also have a habit of killing all non-human looking NPCs on sight. Again, no racist. :pierre:

Guide is awesome. Don't be jelly.

You're such a fascist. I think its your paranoia seeping in, too much Halo...

No jelly here. Guide is nooby. Skyrim isn't a game with a set structure or 'missable' mega collectibles. You explore at your pace and find what you want. A guide takes out the fun, tries to tell you what to do and where to go and ruins the fun of getting killed and finding caves and such to loot which just happen to have awesome weapons and your face lights up. So again, guide is sad - its the anti-Skyrim tbh :pierre:

I like my Party Chat tbh. :sly:

You can just keep inviting people anyway like you've always done. Plus, not like you utilise the 'chat' function of a party chat. :indiff:

Original post by Mess.
Started as a high born elf, restarted already to be a dark elf :mmm:

Dark Elf is just the best. Best magika and weapon mix up. Can't be a full mage, get destroyed in large fights. Don't want to be a full melee, too boring. Dark Elf = just right :yep:
Original post by Cupid Stunt
At the start I followed the faggy Imperial dude who wanted to chop my head off, am I stuck with the Imperials for the rest of the game???

I want to be part of the other group :frown: I might start again, been playing it all day though, oops.

No you're not. You're free to be and join whoever you want and it won't affect the story. Don't bother starting again as the difference will be negligible.
IGN and this thread is making me curious about this game. I don't think I'll get it anytime soon (low cash combined with living in halls= no gaming for months:frown:) but I might try when I can. Although I'm wondering about those 'bugs' everyone seems to talk about, is it that bad?
You're such a fascist. I think its your paranoia seeping in, too much Halo...

No jelly here. Guide is nooby. Skyrim isn't a game with a set structure or 'missable' mega collectibles. You explore at your pace and find what you want. A guide takes out the fun, tries to tell you what to do and where to go and ruins the fun of getting killed and finding caves and such to loot which just happen to have awesome weapons and your face lights up. So again, guide is sad - its the anti-Skyrim tbh :pierre:

I just don't like the look of those lizard faces and Elf ears. You're a dark elf aren't you? Suppose it's bearable when you don't have to see your own face in a mirror. :pierre:

The guide is mainly for light reading. Reading through it on a quest by quest basis would ruin the exploration and experience. But it's a good thing to have a skim through; checking locations you might want to visit or various quests you can initiate as well as how to get a certain spell.

The skill trees are disappointing. There isn't much in the 'destruction' tree. Nothing tempting in most trees actually. Really wanted more freedom over spells such as the ability to choose the transmission: air, ground, setting a weapon on fire or elaborate things like creating a flaming hurricane.

You can just keep inviting people anyway like you've always done. Plus, not like you utilise the 'chat' function of a party chat. :indiff:

Don't even lie bro. :angry: It's either I don't have anything to add to 'religion' discussions or can't be arsed. Not like I have a pager or anything to distract me from chat, is it? :hand:

Anyway, that's discussion for another time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The Cornerstone
IGN and this thread is making me curious about this game. I don't think I'll get it anytime soon (low cash combined with living in halls= no gaming for months:frown:) but I might try when I can. Although I'm wondering about those 'bugs' everyone seems to talk about, is it that bad?

Haven't come across a single bug tbh. Any bugs that have been highlighted in reviews have not been game-breaking bugs, just minor ones.

Quick Reply

Latest