The Student Room Group

Is there a "kiss code" for texts?

How many kisses do you put on texts to different people and how many is the number? Is it just all paranoia or does it actually mean something?

For example my best friend (who is of the opposite sex) says she gets offended when I don't put a kiss at the end of a text.

Also many times when pursuing a girl I get mixed messages when a girl sends different numbers of kisses in each text.

An example of a kiss code:
1 kiss means friends.
2 kisses means best friends (however maybe not inter-gender)
3 kisses may mean something a little bit more?
4 kisses well that means SEX is on the horizon!

So is there a secret (or not so secret) code for kisses?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think the following is true:

In general, girls seem to include a random number of kisses at the end of texts (including the possibility of none). So the kisses mean absolutely nothing. Same with smileys. However, a girl is extremely sensitive to the number of kisses she receives from guys (I've had 'why have you stopped putting kisses' conversations more than once...)

When sending texts to girls however, I (and other guys I know) are sickened by having to use an x or a smiley anywhere. I looked back at an email that I'd sent about a month ago where I had a rate of 3 smileys per sentence, and immediately started puking blood. So smileys / kisses in this case tend to be a form of desperation. Somewhere in your mind you hope that including an 'x' in the text will slightly improve the possibility of sex.
Reply 2
Right. If she puts 2 kisses you match it and put 2 kisses back but then sometimes you try and "up" the kisses and put 3 kisses. But then if she doesn't put 3 kisses back, do you go back down to your 2 kisses or do you carry on and be consistent with your 3 kisses? DILEMMA'S!
Really? It's just a text! People don't deserve my kisses!
Reply 4
I didn't realise people mulled over this at all. Personally, I never use any and never expect any 'cause I find them a bit cringy lol. I only ever put kisses down when I was like fourteen and that was because every other girl around me did it and peer pressure got to me like that lol. So thinking back to that, wouldn't you just match the number of kisses you get? And then up by one if you're feeling like you want to be extra nice for whatever reason.
Reply 5
x is polite.
xx is friendly.
xxx is same-sex friends.
xxxx or more is best friends.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx means nothing.

Generally, when you 'like' someone, you start off with one x. Then one of you makes it xx. Then maybe the other one makes it xxx. When you're really getting somewhere, it bumps up to xxxx.
Xxxx or more, better get your wellies on because you're going to be knee deep in clung!
Reply 7
Original post by abc101
x is polite.
xx is friendly.
xxx is same-sex friends.

Generally, when you 'like' someone, you start off with one x. Then one of you makes it xx. Then maybe the other one makes it xxx. When you're really getting somewhere, it bumps up to xxxx.

I think I would agree but like I said before if I liked someone and tried to bump up the kisses and she didn't match it. Would you go back down? xxx :wink:
Original post by abc101
x is polite.
xx is friendly.
xxx is same-sex friends.

This must be a joke. Anyone who does this is surely around 12. Imagine two 40 year olds going 'I'd better add another x, otherwise she'll initiate divorce litigation' or a 50 year old man saying to his mate 'got 5 x's so a shag is definitely on the cards'. Childish.

It might make more sense to pay attention to the actual content of the text..

1) I love you.

is better than

2) I hate you xxxxx

(just to be clear).
Original post by bigdave
Right. If she puts 2 kisses you match it and put 2 kisses back but then sometimes you try and "up" the kisses and put 3 kisses. But then if she doesn't put 3 kisses back, do you go back down to your 2 kisses or do you carry on and be consistent with your 3 kisses? DILEMMA'S!

Well this guy i like recently "upped" his kisses. I don't usually care about them, but it's just there used to be none, and then it started to go up haha. I still only sent one, but after a while matched his. I guess i didnt do it straight away because i didn't want it to seem like it mattered :colondollar:
Reply 10
No there is not a kiss code. Simple.
Humanity has turned retarded.

Herp derp derp
Reply 12
Ha I find this funny as I can tell a lot of guys have a 'kiss code', whereas girls really don't.

I always chuck on at least 4 x's, no matter the person. Some guys I know use none, then maybe will add 1, then immediately feel embarrassed and go back to none ha. The guy I'm seeing used to give none when we were friends, upped it to 1 when he said he liked me, and matched my 4 now we've taken things a bit further...makes me giggle how much thought goes into it!

Seriously all my girl friends use varying amounts...never read into it!!
Are you actually being serious? THIS IS THE SADDEST THREAD.
Reply 14
The more x's a girl puts the more desperate they are subconsiouly for the person's money they are sending the message. It is a gold digger trait to reel guys in.
somebody's been watching toomuch Jersey Shore where they have 'code' for everything
Reply 16
I always put 3 kisses. Two looks odd and one just looks lonely!!! Ofc sometimes I'll put one or none if I run out of room on texts but usually 3.

I've found that guys usually either put one or none if you're friends, and three or more if they're interested in me. Ofc this isn't concrete, just in my experience.

But often it doesn't really mean anything, people throw around kisses like nobody's business these days!
there's definitely not a kiss code.

I personally put :

0 kisses for people I don't know very well, or am on just formal terms with. Or if I just can't be bothered putting any kisses, even for my husband or close friends.

1 or 2 kisses for my family and friends, depending on...well just depending how random I'm feeling

3 or more kisses when I'm feeling enthusiastic

That's about it really. there's nothing magic about it.
Generally the number of kisses I send has a lot to do with how many characters I have left.

But I generally only use no kisses when a guy has got the wrong idea, and I'm trying to get rid. Everyone else gets 1-3 - the number they get being semi-random.
I usually just put 1 x at the end of any text or email to an aquaintance
xxx to friends and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx... if I'm asking someone for a favour.

Latest