The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G484 Jan 2012 - The Newtonian World

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm also sitting this exam. Anyone know where I can find the Jan 2009 mark scheme?
How are you guys revising for this exam? I've kinda memorised all the cue cards I made, but I suck at exam qu's! :frown:
Original post by sweetascandy
How are you guys revising for this exam? I've kinda memorised all the cue cards I made, but I suck at exam qu's! :frown:

Have you used up all the past papers of current spec?
Original post by Jukeboxing
Have you used up all the past papers of current spec?

No, I haven't. I've been doing other past exam questions and I just find them really difficult. I've tried actual past papers and have found that I can do all the mathsy questions, but I get stuck on the wordy theory ones. :s
This thread seriously needs livening up.... Where is everyone? :redface:

Also, what resources are you guys using once you've done the 2010 and 11 papers?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
This thread seriously needs livening up.... Where is everyone? :redface:

Also, what resources are you guys using once you've done the 2010 and 11 papers?

Haha, it'll liven up within a couple of weeks probably... not many people will be worrying about this yet :wink:

I'm using the Cambridge official textbook and working through all the end of chapter questions once I've done the 2010/11 and specimen papers :smile:
Reply 26
I'm using the cambridge book as well... will start past papers tomorrow :smile:
Can some one help me with a question please: Question 7b http://www.drewett-gray.co.uk/alevel/ff&e/papers/ffe_04_Jun.pdf. I've looked at the mark scheme but still don't really understand :s-smilie: Any help is much appreciated! :smile:
NOTE: Half of this question paper is irrelevant for us (the questions on fields).

ALSO, I know this is just a one marker, but I would appreciate help on 4c part (ii) http://www.thepaperbank.co.uk/papers/AS-A%20Levels/Physics/Forces%20Fields%20and%20Energy/2824_2003_jun.pdf
Thankyouu :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Can some one help me with a question please: Question 7b http://www.drewett-gray.co.uk/alevel/ff&e/papers/ffe_04_Jun.pdf. I've looked at the mark scheme but still don't really understand :s-smilie: Any help is much appreciated! :smile:
NOTE: Half of this question paper is irrelevant for us (the questions on fields).

ALSO, I know this is just a one marker, but I would appreciate help on 4c part (ii) http://www.thepaperbank.co.uk/papers/AS-A%20Levels/Physics/Forces%20Fields%20and%20Energy/2824_2003_jun.pdf
Thankyouu :biggrin:

4cii has something to do with the way that the amplitude increases vastly when a system is oscillated at its natural frequency - if I had to say I'd mark just under the peak with the frequency for the earlier question but I'm not entirely sure? :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by teachercol
I've got 50 students taking it.

Hey remember you from last summers exam :biggrin:, anything you think may come up, any predictions?
Its a pretty predictable paper to be honest - just look at the last few papers and you'll see the patterns.
Reply 31
Its a pretty predictable paper to be honest - just look at the last few papers and you'll see the patterns.

and what are the patterns?:s-smilie:
Er - some examiners/teachers have recently been suspended for disucssing this in public so I cant go into any details!.

There are only a few topics on this module and there is always a question on

collisions / impulse / F- dp/dt
circular motion / gravitation
E = mcdT
SHM / max velocity
Gas Laws / PV = nRT

Thats 5/6 of the questions on the paper!
Reply 33
Er - some examiners/teachers have recently been suspended for disucssing this in public so I cant go into any details!.

E = mcdT
SHM / max velocity
Gas Laws / PV = nRT

You've given us 5/6 you predict will be on the paper, what is the last 1/6?
Reply 34

E = mcdT
SHM / max velocity
Gas Laws / PV = nRT

"cough PM cough PM!!!!!". They dont moniter this....:colone: .Thats quite vague i mean thats the main topics of the syllabus?

Ive done all the past papers got high B mid B and a high C. I dont know what to do now though. :/ any advice?

Thanks anyway.
Reply 35
Original post by Ralphus J
"cough PM cough PM!!!!!". They dont moniter this....:colone: .Thats quite vague i mean thats the main topics of the syllabus?

Ive done all the past papers got high B mid B and a high C. I dont know what to do now though. :/ any advice?

Thanks anyway.

Do the end of chapter questions in the Cambridge textbook, if you have it? :tongue:
Reply 36
Original post by wibletg
Do the end of chapter questions in the Cambridge textbook, if you have it? :tongue:

thanks bro but i have done them.

Im really bad at 2 specific things:

Anything to do with molar mass, number of moles and Avagadros (i haven't done chemistry and i hate this).

Questions involving E directly proportional to T
Its good to know what youre not so good at!

The energy prop to T comes up in various forms. KE/ mean square velocity / root mean square velocity
Original post by Ralphus J

Thanks anyway.

Sorry - thats as far as i am prepared to go!

Check out the mark schemes and examiners reports. There is an art in scoring marks on questions that you cant do. The object is to make sure you get at least 50% on every question including those you cant do. The mark schemes show you that you can score marks just by writing down basic physics related to the question even if you dont know what to do!
Reply 39
I really wish there were more past papers for this. Unlike the AS level modules there doesn't seem to be any legacy modules that correspond to it. Like with mechanics last year the papers they had before were virtually the same stuff but this is different.
All the past papers I've done have been all over the place. I've had a B, a D and an A (in that order!) in the 3 papers I've done so far. The grade I'll get will really depend on exactly what comes up and how harsh the boundaries are >_<

Quick Reply

Latest