The Student Room Group

I'm still waiting to get onto a PGCE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey all! I checked my GTTR last night and its now changed to interview for IOE. YAY! However I have not heard anything from them themselves. GTTR tells me its on the 14th but no time. How long do you think I should wait before I get in contact with the uni? I have been hassling them for a while about my 'stop' dont want to hassel them again! But I have no idea what to prepare for etc. Hope everyone else is okay
Reply 41
I got a letter sent through the post from LTASC a few days after 'interview' came up on GTTR.

Update on my application: Cumbria have but a 'stop' on my application with a note saying 'interview timing (app/inst). Anybody have any idea what this means please? :confused:
Reply 42
Hi, it means they want more time to consider your application. Ba sically, it means if they hadn't put a stop on your application then GTTR would automatically reject you (RBD-reject by default) after a certain period of time, think its 28 days. I would ring them to double check and ask how long they think they will need. Good luck
Reply 43
Original post by cutebat
Hey all! I checked my GTTR last night and its now changed to interview for IOE. YAY! However I have not heard anything from them themselves. GTTR tells me its on the 14th but no time. How long do you think I should wait before I get in contact with the uni? I have been hassling them for a while about my 'stop' dont want to hassel them again! But I have no idea what to prepare for etc. Hope everyone else is okay

Was very pleased to hear my advice helped you to get some feedback from Roehampton!
With regard to the IoE, I've done a fair bit of hassling myself! Have you tried ringing registry? Ringing is normally the best way of getting some answers quickly and prompts people into action and on the interview and updating GTTR side of things, registry is the department you're looking for!
Hey guys! I'm currently applying for a PGCE in English. I first applied to Kings College and swiftly got turned down after an interview, which wasn't my best performance so I can't fault them for that. Next on my list was IoE. I had an interview with them a couple weeks ago and got placed on their waiting list. Which basically means if anyone currently set to join the course in September drops out I'll be considered for that course, if not and I don't get on a course this year, they'll give me a place next year!

So I'm fairly pleased with that outcome. Not sure where to apply next, GTTR is sending my app on to the University of East London, which I originally chose mainly because I wanted to be in London and a teacher on my work experience recommended it to me, not so sure any more though. Anyway, good luck to us all!
Reply 45
Cumbria want me for an interview :d
Original post by DJ8765
My feedback was very vague nothing specific to work on so useless. I have several friends who were successful who got lower test marks and have had very limited classroom experience so it makes no sense to me. I think it's just pot luck! I'm fortunate that I have other ongoing options so am not worried by it but thought it's good to share experiences!

Original post by Keziah
Hi!

I've got quite a lot of experience (just started a role as a kind of unqualified supply teacher of MFL - I teach new content but don't plan lessons or mark work - and have also worked as a Food Technology Technician and as a Teaching Assistant), and a strong academic background, but I've applied to teach a different subject from my degree. Also, whilst I manage to stay calm and focused in the classroom, in interviews I tend to panic and waffle on for ages.

I think you 2 have summed up my experience quite well. Does anyone feel that past experience and subject knowledge get overlooked in an application? I mean, when I got feedback from Reading and Leicester about their rejections, all they mentioned was my monotone voice, stuttering (saying 'you know' and 'err') and not showing enough 'passion'. Now this either means my CV and subject knowledge are fine and they have no need to reject me on that basis or they're not giving it very much wait at all.

Is it because CV and experience are only used to decide whether you get interviewed or not?

Does this mean that smooth talkers and people with excellent social skills but little teaching experience are more likely to get in than people who have tonnes of experience and good degree but who cock up interviews?

EDIT: Dear neggers, neg if you wish but I am actually asking because I truly don't know. I haven't forced my opinion or anything, I'm genuinely curious about the process.
(edited 12 years ago)
Cumbria want me for an interview too furbie! Mines 28th march whens yours?! Xx
Reply 48
Original post by Bookworm-89
Cumbria want me for an interview too furbie! Mines 28th march whens yours?! Xx

I've no idea yet, I emailed them when I saw they stopped and they said that the only reason why they put a stop was so gttr didn't automatically reject me as they are trying to arrange a date for me :smile:

What have you applied for? xx
Original post by Whiskey_In_The_Jar
Hey guys! I'm currently applying for a PGCE in English. I first applied to Kings College and swiftly got turned down after an interview, which wasn't my best performance so I can't fault them for that. Next on my list was IoE. I had an interview with them a couple weeks ago and got placed on their waiting list. Which basically means if anyone currently set to join the course in September drops out I'll be considered for that course, if not and I don't get on a course this year, they'll give me a place next year!

So I'm fairly pleased with that outcome. Not sure where to apply next, GTTR is sending my app on to the University of East London, which I originally chose mainly because I wanted to be in London and a teacher on my work experience recommended it to me, not so sure any more though. Anyway, good luck to us all!

Hey,
Congrats, at least you somehow have a positive outcome. When was your interview at IOE?
What did you do for your presentation? How was the Maths and English tests?
Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Original post by rose.151786
Hey,
Congrats, at least you somehow have a positive outcome. When was your interview at IOE?
What did you do for your presentation? How was the Maths and English tests?
Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks Rose, my interview was the 16th of February, thankfully I didn't have to do a presentation or Maths and English tests. We had a group discussion on a students piece of creative writing where we talked about what we liked and didn't like and then how they might be able to improve it. After that we had to write a page on how we contributed to the discussion and what we thought of it ourselves.

When it comes to Maths and English tests I have done those before at Manchester, they were fairly simple and I can't imagine them being too different at IoE. Basically for English they gave you a list of words and each one had multiple spellings, you had to circle the correct one, then there was paragraph written by a student you had to correct and comment on. As for Maths it was some simple multiplication and a wee bit of percentages and looking at a pie chart but it wasn't too complicated and they stressed it was only to judge how much help you might need during the course to reach the minimum level for teaching.

One thing IoE seemed to stress in their presentation to us was how committed they were to the multicultural aspect of teaching in London, which was great for me since that's a big part of the reason I want to go there. If they mention it in the presentation or ask you about it I'd be sure to stress that you're up for it. Hope that's helped a bit...even if it's a tad long.
Reply 51
Original post by Dagnabbit
I think you 2 have summed up my experience quite well. Does anyone feel that past experience and subject knowledge get overlooked in an application? I mean, when I got feedback from Reading and Leicester about their rejections, all they mentioned was my monotone voice, stuttering (saying 'you know' and 'err') and not showing enough 'passion'. Now this either means my CV and subject knowledge are fine and they have no need to reject me on that basis or they're not giving it very much wait at all.

Is it because CV and experience are only used to decide whether you get interviewed or not?

Does this mean that smooth talkers and people with excellent social skills but little teaching experience are more likely to get in than people who have tonnes of experience and good degree but who cock up interviews?

EDIT: Dear neggers, neg if you wish but I am actually asking because I truly don't know. I haven't forced my opinion or anything, I'm genuinely curious about the process.

I believe it's either down to not being able to communicate well in interviews due to nerves or age! I applied for Primary.

My feedback suggested that other candidates were stronger than me in two areas; Commitment to experience and understanding of primary education and And competencies in English maths science and ICT. In the written part of the feedback they suggested I did not reflect well enough on my experience. - Which is probably because I get nervous in intervAnd like what you said I always cock up on interviews :frown:. Which is what they said in my feedback "Observe reflect and evaluate to develop a broader and more reflective response to primary education. "

We had to do a test which consisted of Eng, Maths, Science and ICT. I got A in maths, B in Eng and ICT and C in Science. - The science grade was underlined. I asked a girl who got in what her grades where and she got A+ in Maths, C in Science and D's in ICT and Eng!!

I rang up the uni's admissions to understand before telling them my results, that they generally except people with C's or above! And when talking about experience she said that you only get an interview if you reflect on your experience in your PS but I must not have reflected in enough detail on the day.

I hope that may have helped you a little bit, as well as giving me a chance to rant :P
Original post by Jenny_G
I believe it's either down to not being able to communicate well in interviews due to nerves or age! I applied for Primary.

My feedback suggested that other candidates were stronger than me in two areas; Commitment to experience and understanding of primary education and And competencies in English maths science and ICT. In the written part of the feedback they suggested I did not reflect well enough on my experience. - Which is probably because I get nervous in intervAnd like what you said I always cock up on interviews :frown:. Which is what they said in my feedback "Observe reflect and evaluate to develop a broader and more reflective response to primary education. "

We had to do a test which consisted of Eng, Maths, Science and ICT. I got A in maths, B in Eng and ICT and C in Science. - The science grade was underlined. I asked a girl who got in what her grades where and she got A+ in Maths, C in Science and D's in ICT and Eng!!

I rang up the uni's admissions to understand before telling them my results, that they generally except people with C's or above! And when talking about experience she said that you only get an interview if you reflect on your experience in your PS but I must not have reflected in enough detail on the day.

I hope that may have helped you a little bit, as well as giving me a chance to rant :P

Yeah I can empathise. I was just a bit browned off because I should have brought up my experience in teaching abroad but ended up just talking about the Student Associate Scheme (something that they've probably heard about to death) in my last 2 interviews.
Reply 53
I've just found out I have an interview at Liverpool Hope! Yay! Fingers crossed this time I can relate to my experience more :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Jenny_G
I've just found out I have an interview at Liverpool Hope! Yay! Fingers crossed this time I can relate to my experience more :smile:

Jenny, I've put details of the Hope interview process on one of my threads, not sure where but think if you click on my details you can see my comments! Let me know if you don't find it and I'll re-type it. It's NOTHING like the Edge Hill interview, much nicer and more relaxed. They have a different approach, they also have higher degree standards - a 2:1 or 2:2 with Masters, whereas EH will accept a 2:2. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 55
Hey guys

I've just been rejected for primary PGCE at uwic. I honestly don't know what they are looking for because I am in my third year as a teaching assistant in a primary school, I've done one year in a ks2 class and 2 years in Reception both higher and lower. Me, the teacher and another t a work together in the class when it comes to taking groups. I Practically teach everyday even if it is only small groups, following planning, doing phonics, reading groups, lang links groups aswell as foundation phase stuff and maths/literacy assessing with the teachers, taking groups, even managing the whole class at
times with the other ta as teach is called out alot. On top of this I do other jobs like displays and whole school stuff, training at INSET etc this job has really opened my eyes to school life and to things I didn't have a clue about before. I have gained so much knowledge and experience and I really feel ready to move on! I thought my interview went well, I was able to answer the questions without problem and I felt good about it. I guess my passion/enthusiasm just didn't shine through :frown:. I dont see how a 20 min interview can really show them how capable you are
of doing the course/teaching :frown:. They seem to be letting people straight from uni on. Not that this is
bad but doesn't my experience count? Sorry to rant I'm just sad as this is my dream and I want it to hurry up and come true!
from working in the school. I love it!
Reply 56
Sorry for that completely jumbled up post! I did it on my phone...hopefully someone can make sense of it lol
Reply 57
Original post by AgentJ87
Hey guys

I've just been rejected for primary PGCE at uwic. I honestly don't know what they are looking for because I am in my third year as a teaching assistant in a primary school, I've done one year in a ks2 class and 2 years in Reception both higher and lower. Me, the teacher and another t a work together in the class when it comes to taking groups. I Practically teach everyday even if it is only small groups, following planning, doing phonics, reading groups, lang links groups aswell as foundation phase stuff and maths/literacy assessing with the teachers, taking groups, even managing the whole class at
times with the other ta as teach is called out alot. On top of this I do other jobs like displays and whole school stuff, training at INSET etc this job has really opened my eyes to school life and to things I didn't have a clue about before. I have gained so much knowledge and experience and I really feel ready to move on! I thought my interview went well, I was able to answer the questions without problem and I felt good about it. I guess my passion/enthusiasm just didn't shine through :frown:. I dont see how a 20 min interview can really show them how capable you are
of doing the course/teaching :frown:. They seem to be letting people straight from uni on. Not that this is
bad but doesn't my experience count? Sorry to rant I'm just sad as this is my dream and I want it to hurry up and come true!
from working in the school. I love it!

I totally empathise with you and it's my feeling that you can have too much experience for some PGCE providers. My friend has been a TA for years and is basically a teacher already - she covers classes all the time and plans and assesses and is very highly thought of in her school. She has the best personal statement I've every read and she didn't even get offered an interview! I also have many years of classroom experience in all key stages and, like you, have participated in planning, assessment, whole class teaching and interventions plus all the day to day stuff! My degree is on for a first and I scored well in the tests at interview. I thought the day went very well yet still got a no. However, my second choice uni has offered me a place and the interview there was completely different, very relaxed. I'm also applying for a GTP - you should think about that route as you stand a chance with the amount of experience you have - they really value experience. Plus you get paid!! Good luck :smile:
Reply 58
Hello DJ8765

Thanks for your reply :smile:. I cannot believe that your friend was not even invited to an interview with all that experience?! It makes me wonder what they are looking for. When you work in a school you are practically living and breathing it and you really get a good understanding of the role of a teacher. I think it does depend on a lot on the interviewers on the day. Next year I am definately going to be applying for the PGCE and the GTP at the earliest possible opportunity :smile:

Thanks again!
Reply 59
Original post by DJ8765
I totally empathise with you and it's my feeling that you can have too much experience for some PGCE providers. My friend has been a TA for years and is basically a teacher already - she covers classes all the time and plans and assesses and is very highly thought of in her school. She has the best personal statement I've every read and she didn't even get offered an interview! I also have many years of classroom experience in all key stages and, like you, have participated in planning, assessment, whole class teaching and interventions plus all the day to day stuff! My degree is on for a first and I scored well in the tests at interview. I thought the day went very well yet still got a no. However, my second choice uni has offered me a place and the interview there was completely different, very relaxed. I'm also applying for a GTP - you should think about that route as you stand a chance with the amount of experience you have - they really value experience. Plus you get paid!! Good luck :smile:

Also congrats on being offered a place!!!!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply