The Student Room Group

Forensic Psychology

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get a position as a forensic psychology trainee after the masters. are they advertised anywhere?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

anyone?
Reply 2
Apply to private companies which have secure services for assistant psychologist positions. You can then often blag them into letting you work for longer in order to get your competencies.
Can I ask what masters you're doing and where you're doing it?
I'm looking in to doing forensic psych MSc at Nottingham but don't know if my work experience is 'forensic' enough...are they hard courses to get on to?
Thanks!
A
Original post by MoonShadowWolf
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get a position as a forensic psychology trainee after the masters. are they advertised anywhere?

Thanks

Hey, very rarely will you see a trainee forensic psychologist job advertised. I would imagine the NHS.jobs website or jobs.ac.uk.

I'm a trainee health psychologist and I have to juggle my practitioner training alongside relevant placements. My health psychology placements are mostly all volunteer positions, but allow me the chance to build up skills towards my practitioner training and working towards showing professional competency in various BPS competencies.

I think most trainee forensic psychologists look for relevant paid forensic positions such as an assistant psychologist or a research assistant in forensic settings or working within offender rehab places. I think the key with any trainee forensic post is to look for a position supervised by a forensic psychologist.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I've been invited to an interview on the MSc forensic psych program at kent uni and am really nervous about it. Mine will be a phone interview since I'll be with my family in the states. I can't help but think I'm already at a disadvantage because of this.

Can anyone give me some pointers? I have about 20 days to prepare. It's the only program I've applied to because it's the only one that really stood out to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :smile:
Reply 6
Helloo, I had mine...

I'm from the uni anyway but I was the first person called in to the interview so didn't know what to expect. I must admit I hadn't thought about it enough before hand so I got realllllly confused and gave probably the WORST answers possible, the interviewers even looked slightly confused :lol:

Have written down in front of you answers about:

What statistics you've studied
What statistical methods you're best at (this stumped me, I may have said something like "but... er... erm... It's all kinda the same you just follow the instructions and put it into SPSS"... Then I was like "REGRESSION" I've totally got regression down guys".)
What statistics you've personally used in your undergrad project
What skills you expect to get from the course (Haha I had no clue what to say).
How you'd describe Forensic Psychology to someone

Hmm I cant remember what else they asked, perhaps someone else will remember. Good luck!
Original post by aliluvschoc
Helloo, I had mine...

I'm from the uni anyway but I was the first person called in to the interview so didn't know what to expect. I must admit I hadn't thought about it enough before hand so I got realllllly confused and gave probably the WORST answers possible, the interviewers even looked slightly confused :lol:

Have written down in front of you answers about:

What statistics you've studied
What statistical methods you're best at (this stumped me, I may have said something like "but... er... erm... It's all kinda the same you just follow the instructions and put it into SPSS"... Then I was like "REGRESSION" I've totally got regression down guys".)
What statistics you've personally used in your undergrad project
What skills you expect to get from the course (Haha I had no clue what to say).
How you'd describe Forensic Psychology to someone

Hmm I cant remember what else they asked, perhaps someone else will remember. Good luck!

Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful. I am terrible at stats so I better study up haha. I really don't think I'll get in now that you've put all those questions up. I did a qualitative study for my dissertation so no stats at all! I've only done stats in modules (most modules to be fair).

Did you hear back from them yet? Very best of luck to you!
Reply 8
Original post by nervousamericano
Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful. I am terrible at stats so I better study up haha. I really don't think I'll get in now that you've put all those questions up. I did a qualitative study for my dissertation so no stats at all! I've only done stats in modules (most modules to be fair).

Did you hear back from them yet? Very best of luck to you!

Everyone I know got in, providing we get the grades of course.

The stats should be fine as long as you've at least studied it at university level so that shouldn't be a problem.

Hope it all goes well for you :biggrin:

The stats should be fine as long as you've at least studied it at university level so that shouldn't be a problem.

Ah excellent thanks!

Why do they even have the interview I wonder? It seems like everyone I know got in too. I've applied later than them though unfortunately. I also know several people that applied for different msc courses with Kent and were not required to go through an interview process. I'm just the worst at interviews. Stuttering, silences, all that good stuff lol.

Anyway, congrats for getting in! Well done!
Reply 10
Hi all,

I'm about to graduate from a redbrick Uni with a solid 2:1 in BSc Psychology. I did a placement for my third year which unfortunately was not in forensic psychology, but was related-- I was working as a probation officer. I have received many offers for MSc Forensic Psych at many good Uni's around the country, and now need to make a decision.

I understand that I don't have to make a decision now and could defer for a year. This option is what i'll end up doing if I do accept, because I haven't done any travelling and would like to do some! But my question is, should I just forget about my offers? I'm aware that assistant forensic psychologist posts are beyond competitive and I can't see that improving in the next few years. I've also worked in retail before where i've seen people with this MSc applying for average retail jobs, as for admin jobs in probation. It just doesn't seem worthwhile. However i'd love to become a forensic psychologist. I think it would be a brilliant and interesting job and I think i'd be good at it.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom for me? Thank you.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you decide to take a year out and defer your place it would be a good idea to build up more work experience related to offenders in some way, either through paid or voluntary work. That way when you have done the MSc you will be in a better position to get one of the assistant forensic psych jobs as your own experience will match that of other strong candidates. You can also volunteer or work part-time in related jobs while doing the MSc
Just had my interview. It wasn't half as scary as I thought it would be. Actually quite pleasant. They said I'd get my answer in two weeks time. Fingers crossed! :smile:
Reply 13
I want to study forensic psychology.. After i have finished uni What do u guys think i shoud do an MSc in forensic physchology or a masters just in paychology??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 14
What does a the assistant job entail and how much would you get per annum.

I completed the Msc in 2010, and I do know a few people who didn't necessarily get on the course after the interview stage. I've been with the department for a few years now and areas for concern which may stop you getting a place on the course at interview stage include things like interviewer concerns regarding the candidates capacity to work with vulnerable populations, lack of enough research experience to date and lack o knowledge in Forensic Psychology amoung other things. So unfortunately an interview does not guarentee you a place on the course. Best of luck! :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 16
?

Reply 17
?

Reply 18
Original post by Hunny1234
I want to study forensic psychology.. After i have finished uni What do u guys think i shoud do an MSc in forensic physchology or a masters just in paychology??

Hi,

If you want to study Forensic Psychology after you graduate, you'll need an accredited undergraduate Psychology degree, after which you can then do the MSc in Forensic Psychology.

To become a Forensic Psychology, you need the BPS accredited Masters in Forensic Psychology and then the Stage 2 Qualification in Forensic Psychology, which is two years of supervised practice. However, if I remember rightly, there are a few places which do a doctorate in Forensic Psychology, is the the equivalent to both of the above.

I hope that helps, have a look on the BPS website if you're interested in Forensic Psychology. :smile:
Original post by MagaliBarnoux
I completed the Msc in 2010, and I do know a few people who didn't necessarily get on the course after the interview stage. I've been with the department for a few years now and areas for concern which may stop you getting a place on the course at interview stage include things like interviewer concerns regarding the candidates capacity to work with vulnerable populations, lack of enough research experience to date and lack o knowledge in Forensic Psychology amoung other things. So unfortunately an interview does not guarentee you a place on the course. Best of luck! :smile::smile::smile:

That's interesting to know. Sorry I never updated this thread. I got an unconditional offer after I sent my undergrad results in after the interview stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending