The Student Room Group

What to choose for my insurance: York or Reading?

Absolutely stuck between the two. I stayed at Reading for 2 days, and enjoyed it. Went to York for the day, and enjoyed it, too. Had a better experience at Reading overall, but probably because I stayed there and went around the city and had an experience. Courses seem equally as appealing. I know it is I who must make the decision at the end of the day, but any strong reasons why I should/should not go to either?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

And if people are at it: York or St Andrews? (also in terms of fun student life)
Reply 2
Original post by Joey15
Absolutely stuck between the two. I stayed at Reading for 2 days, and enjoyed it. Went to York for the day, and enjoyed it, too. Had a better experience at Reading overall, but probably because I stayed there and went around the city and had an experience. Courses seem equally as appealing. I know it is I who must make the decision at the end of the day, but any strong reasons why I should/should not go to either?

Thanks!

Reading is my firm choice (for Philosophy and English Literature) :smile:

York comes higher than Reading in league tables, but if you work hard at Uni and come out with a decent degree, the fact that it's a few numbers higher in the league tables shouldn't really matter at all to employers. League tables should be used as a rough guide at best, and Reading is not a bad university by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't have any experience of York, so I can't really compare them... But I know that I love Reading, and can't imagine wanting to study anywhere else as badly as I want to study there. Ultimately, it's up to you. Your Reading offer is more flexible than your York offer, so that's something to take into consideration.

Can I ask how your Reading offer is ABB/AAC/BBB? Surely it should be either ABB/AAC or BBB, or is there something I'm missing?
Reply 3
Original post by Liam_G
Reading is my firm choice (for Philosophy and English Literature) :smile:

York comes higher than Reading in league tables, but if you work hard at Uni and come out with a decent degree, the fact that it's a few numbers higher in the league tables shouldn't really matter at all to employers. League tables should be used as a rough guide at best, and Reading is not a bad university by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't have any experience of York, so I can't really compare them... But I know that I love Reading, and can't imagine wanting to study anywhere else as badly as I want to study there. Ultimately, it's up to you. Your Reading offer is more flexible than your York offer, so that's something to take into consideration.

Can I ask how your Reading offer is ABB/AAC/BBB? Surely it should be either ABB/AAC or BBB, or is there something I'm missing?

BBB with proof of my English Literature certificate from last year. Thanks anyway for the advice. Accommodation thoughts? I stayed in Wantage :smile:.
Reply 4
Original post by Joey15
BBB with proof of my English Literature certificate from last year. Thanks anyway for the advice. Accommodation thoughts? I stayed in Wantage :smile:.

I stayed in Sherfield and loved it, which is why I'm thinking of applying there.

Have you noticed that the accommodation prices have increased recently? :redface:

It'd be fine to put York as your Insurance if you think you can comfortably achieve the grades. If you're a little unsure, I suppose you could ask yourself what would disappoint you more; putting Reading as your Insurance and achieving grades that could have got you into York, or putting York as your Insurance and just missing the grades (I'm guessing that it will probably be the latter, considering that you're absolutely stuck between the two).

I'm not sure what your financial situation is like at home, but there are generous fee waivers at Reading for those from lower income families, if you weren't aware :smile: :

Reply 5
Original post by Liam_G
I stayed in Sherfield and loved it, which is why I'm thinking of applying there.

Have you noticed that the accommodation prices have increased recently? :redface:

It'd be fine to put York as your Insurance if you think you can comfortably achieve the grades. If you're a little unsure, I suppose you could ask yourself what would disappoint you more; putting Reading as your Insurance and achieving grades that could have got you into York, or putting York as your Insurance and just missing the grades (I'm guessing that it will probably be the latter, considering that you're absolutely stuck between the two).

I'm not sure what your financial situation is like at home, but there are generous fee waivers at Reading for those from lower income families, if you weren't aware :smile: :

Many thanks. Doing a good job of persuading. Reading is also a train ride away from London and Oxford. It's so tempting! I'll have to analyse the course again. What you studying now?
Reply 6
Original post by Joey15

Thanks!

It depends what your predictions are but your highest offer is AAA, which I presume is your firm, York is AAB and Reading is BBB. York does not leave a lot of leeway, so it really depends how confident you are of getting AAA/AAB... I basically knew I'd get my firm so it didn't matter, but if you are "on the edge" of getting AAA I would probably be tempted to firm Reading. Simplly on the basis that, if you think you'll be happier there, it is a better safety blanket.
Reply 7
Original post by Joey15
Many thanks. Doing a good job of persuading. Reading is also a train ride away from London and Oxford. It's so tempting! I'll have to analyse the course again. What you studying now?

Being only 20 minutes away from London/Oxford is definitely a plus.

I think it's a good idea to look at the courses, you'll be studying it for the next three years after all.

I study Philosophy, English literature and Maths. I have a B in Philosophy already, so I need to get AB in Maths/English. I hope I manage it, I want to go to Reading so badly :cry2:

Who knows, we could end up in the same philosophy class :awesome:
Reply 8
Original post by Joey15

Thanks!

Reading... great student ents, campus more attractive than York and from Reading its easy to get into London.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by neverlander¾
And if people are at it: York or St Andrews? (also in terms of fun student life)

Not a clue really but isn't St Andrew's a bit cut off?
Original post by catoswyn
Not a clue really but isn't St Andrew's a bit cut off?

i dont mind to be cut off from other cities (I'm not from the UK so i dont even know them) as long as the university itself is fun. Raisin weekend looks :colone:
Reply 11
Original post by Liam_G
Being only 20 minutes away from London/Oxford is definitely a plus.

I think it's a good idea to look at the courses, you'll be studying it for the next three years after all.

I study Philosophy, English literature and Maths. I have a B in Philosophy already, so I need to get AB in Maths/English. I hope I manage it, I want to go to Reading so badly :cry2:

Who knows, we could end up in the same philosophy class :awesome:

Could do :smile:. Ah, nearly the same subjects. Dropped English Literature last year, and decided to keep pursuing History instead. But, Philosophy and Maths are ace. Was going to do a joint honours in them.

You'll get in, I'm sure. You seem pretty motivated.
Original post by neverlander¾

I have philosophy offers at both of those and I'm firming St Andrews. For me it seems more attractive than York, and I love the flexibility of the Scottish system. It also seems to be slightly higher academically.
Original post by electric-wars
I have philosophy offers at both of those and I'm firming St Andrews. For me it seems more attractive than York, and I love the flexibility of the Scottish system. It also seems to be slightly higher academically.

These are my exact points...plus raisins weekend of course :biggrin:
Original post by Joey15

Thanks!

Well, what course are you doing? I can't tell you until I know what course you're doing.
Reply 15
id say york simply because ive lived in reading my enitre life and have grown to hate it with a fiery passion :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Original post by Politricks
Well, what course are you doing? I can't tell you until I know what course you're doing.

Philosophy
Reply 17
Original post by cl_steele
id say york simply because ive lived in reading my enitre life and have grown to hate it with a fiery passion :rolleyes:

How sad :frown:. Well, would you say the nearby, more captivating cities compensate for this? Because they are so accessible?
Original post by Joey15
Philosophy

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Philosophy

Reading is a good university, but York is far more prestigious, on the CUG league tables, York is ranked 12th for Philosophy, whereas Reading is ranked 21st.

The graduate prospects for Philosophy at York is 66.0, however at reading it's 48.0, so you also have a better chance of getting a job if you graduate from York.

So I'd choose York as an Insurance.

What did you firm?
Reply 19
Original post by Politricks
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Philosophy

Reading is a good university, but York is far more prestigious, on the CUG league tables, York is ranked 12th for Philosophy, whereas Reading is ranked 21st.

The graduate prospects for Philosophy at York is 66.0, however at reading it's 48.0, so you also have a better chance of getting a job if you graduate from York.

So I'd choose York as an Insurance.

What did you firm?

Thanks! Bristol - well, hopefully. Still waiting for a damn offer - decision (so a rejection).

Well, I can't solely use league tables, but thanks for the info!

Quick Reply