The Student Room Group

Any suggestions of chance to get into Imperial College, Msc Finance?

Hi everyone,
Im the new member and this is my first post on tsr, the Imperial College is my dream school. I will show my profile and could you pls help me to analyse whether there is a chance (and how much) to get into the IC.

I am from China and study in the Univeristy of Sheffield, accounting and financial management degree, second year. Till now the grades I get is 69/100 overall, GMAT680 (Quant 50/51). Intern in commercial bank of China and some other intern experiences and socity experiences. I will apply for the Msc Finance of IC in around Oct of 2012 (which the master degree start in Sep 2013).

I am still quite unsure about whether to apply for IC, could you pls show me which portion of profile i need to enhance and the how much the chance i can got into the IC.

Many thanks!
Reply 1
Hello,

I think your grades and GMAT are good enough. October application might be a bit early, since the Full Time MBA only start accepting applications from December.
Reply 2
Original post by Frozenace
Hello,

I think your grades and GMAT are good enough. October application might be a bit early, since the Full Time MBA only start accepting applications from December.

Hi Frozenace,
thanks to your reply, the degree I want to apply is master of finance instead of MBA coz the work experience for me is not quite enough to handle the mba. are you the student of ic?
how about the suitable time to apply for master of finance.

thanks
Reply 3
I'm going to start the FTMBA at IC in September/October.

If you want to start next year, then the earliest would be around December 2012. Also, you can e-mail admissions.

Some people apply really late...
Reply 4
Hi everyone,

dont really want to start a thread.

I am also bit unsure of my chances of getting into a top program (read: Msc Finance LSE).
I have decent grades (equivalent to a bad first in the UK, i guess) from a decent university (St. Gallen) and a great GMAT (760, Q49, V45).
However, i wont have any noteworthy extracurriculars and only one relevant internship (Big4 M&A) by the time I apply.
What are my chances? Should I wait and get some more experience?

What about less competitive good programs (Warwick etc.), i am more hopeful there?

Thanks in advance! (i have a pretty paranoid streak when it comes to things like applications...)
Reply 5
Original post by xy0126
Hi everyone,
Im the new member and this is my first post on tsr, the Imperial College is my dream school. I will show my profile and could you pls help me to analyse whether there is a chance (and how much) to get into the IC.

I am from China and study in the Univeristy of Sheffield, accounting and financial management degree, second year. Till now the grades I get is 69/100 overall, GMAT680 (Quant 50/51). Intern in commercial bank of China and some other intern experiences and socity experiences. I will apply for the Msc Finance of IC in around Oct of 2012 (which the master degree start in Sep 2013).

I am still quite unsure about whether to apply for IC, could you pls show me which portion of profile i need to enhance and the how much the chance i can got into the IC.

Many thanks!

You need to make sure the personal statement and competency questions are perfect. From your background, my guess is that you're a borderline case, it it is possible that you might not get an offer. What did you do for your internship?
Reply 6
Hi

yeh i know that my background is not as good as that can get into IC successfully so instead of the ps and competency questions you mentioned, how about other portion that can make me not 'borderline' (Such as higher academic and gmat score?).

I took the internship working in the credit sector of bank and securities companies. Both of them are not famous as the big4.

many regards
Reply 7
Original post by joekings
You need to make sure the personal statement and competency questions are perfect. From your background, my guess is that you're a borderline case, it it is possible that you might not get an offer. What did you do for your internship?

Hi

yeh i know that my background is not as good as that can get into IC successfully so instead of the ps and competency questions you mentioned, how about other portion that can make me not 'borderline' (Such as higher academic and gmat score?).

I took the internship working in the credit sector of bank and securities companies. Both of them are not famous as the big4.

many regards
Reply 8
I'm going to start the FTMBA at IC in September/October.

If you want to start next year, then the earliest would be around December 2012. Also, you can e-mail admissions.

Some people apply really late...

Thanks for your timing tips. The humors that always told the earlier you apply, the more possibility you will get the offer. But still thanks anyway )
Reply 9
No worries, glad to help out. It makes logical sense that you don't apply too early, otherwise you might as well start this year.

About a previous post, I just love how people with a 760 GMAT give themselves so little credit.
Reply 10
No worries, glad to help out. It makes logical sense that you don't apply too early, otherwise you might as well start this year.

About a previous post, I just love how people with a 760 GMAT give themselves so little credit.

hha, i arranged another gmat test in June so hoping to get higher than 710.
Reply 11
Which other schools are you planning to apply to, because Imperial doesn't require a gmat for MSc Finance.
Reply 12
Due to the 'culture' of my country, people in my country always thought the uni around London have more reputation. I did my undergraduate degree in sheffield so in postgraduate I more likely to apply for the uni around London. The list is: IC, Cass, KCL. I know that the finance in IC do not need the gmat, only the finance in city need it, but still it may strengthen my weight i think :smile:
Reply 13
Which other schools are you planning to apply to, because Imperial doesn't require a gmat for MSc Finance.

Due to the 'culture' of my country, people in my country always thought the uni around London have more reputation. I did my undergraduate degree in sheffield so in postgraduate I more likely to apply for the uni around London. The list is: IC, Cass, KCL. I know that the finance in IC do not need the gmat, only the finance in city need it, but still it may strengthen my weight i think :smile:
Reply 14
I'm Chinese, but grew up in Germany and China (International school).

Have you considered the MSc Finance from LSE? That seems to fit your profile quite well. However, the admissions statistics are very competitive. 2000 applied, 92 places.

If you're serious about reputation, go for IC, LBS, Cass, and LSE. I also got a place at Cass, but had to turn that down, because I'm more interested in Science and Technology.
Reply 15
I'm Chinese, but grew up in Germany and China (International school).

Have you considered the MSc Finance from LSE? That seems to fit your profile quite well. However, the admissions statistics are very competitive. 2000 applied, 92 places.

If you're serious about reputation, go for IC, LBS, Cass, and LSE. I also got a place at Cass, but had to turn that down, because I'm more interested in Science and Technology.

wow, nice to see a german born chinese. LSE and LBS may seems too competitive for me to apply.
yea I also plan to apply for cass
Reply 16
I was born in China, but I have German citizenship now.

If you have a chance, it's definitely worth checking out the events at Cass. Also, don't sell yourself short. A 680 Gmat gives you a good chance for an interview at LBS, then you can show your passion for the subjects. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest