The Student Room Group

Cheapest Car for a 18 Year old Male to insure?

Hello, i've had two good quotes so far, i have zero ncb, and been passed for 13 months.

Co-Op Young Driverz - Honda Civic 1.5 Vtec Sport - As a named driver - £1395. Just dont like the smart box thing controlling you premiums every 3 months

Elephant.co.uk - 98' Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L - Me As policy holder, and 3 named drivers - £1800

I dont like corsa's much, and want the quote to be cheaper atleast up to 1500, i know it can be done. As this time last week i was getting quotes of 21K, tried hard, and got one for 1800. What is an even cheaper car to insure than the corsa?

Thanks, how much did you pay for your first year of driving insurance? Is my quote of 1800 good? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Citroen C1

I'm 20 and fully comp insurance as my own policy is £545.90 with elephant.
Reply 2
You can get SLIGHTLY better cars for insurance, but you will probably end up paying a lot for the car. For example the cheapest Citroen C1 on ebay is £2,550, whereas you can pick up a Corsa for under a grand. Easily. A '98 you can get for 500 if you look hard enough. I got my '02 1.0l last October for 800. I love it, a great little car. Insurance was 2700 for me (Elephant), but I had just passed. Next year it is 1200 for me personally :biggrin: Holding a license for a year really drives down the price, wish I'd realised before XD 1800 does seem decent for an 18 year old. :smile:

Make sure you look at different models when you choose which car too, as some Corsa 1.0l were over £3000, and mine, because its a 'Corsa Club' was the cheapest I could find. Even cheaper than the older cars.

By the way, I was 18 when I took out my insurance too.

In relation to the thread: OLD VW Beetles are DIRT cheap on insurance, but its not really worth it because they're either a pile of crap, or expensive. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
A Reliant Robin ?
Reply 4
Original post by OwenFerny
You can get SLIGHTLY better cars for insurance, but you will probably end up paying a lot for the car. For example the cheapest Citroen C1 on ebay is £2,550, whereas you can pick up a Corsa for under a grand. Easily. A '98 you can get for 500 if you look hard enough. I got my '02 1.0l last October for 800. I love it, a great little car. Insurance was 2700 for me (Elephant), but I had just passed. Next year it is 1200 for me personally :biggrin: Holding a license for a year really drives down the price, wish I'd realised before XD 1800 does seem decent for an 18 year old. :smile:

Make sure you look at different models when you choose which car too, as some Corsa 1.0l were over £3000, and mine, because its a 'Corsa Club' was the cheapest I could find. Even cheaper than the older cars.

By the way, I was 18 when I took out my insurance too.

In relation to the thread: OLD VW Beetles are DIRT cheap on insurance, but its not really worth it because they're either a pile of crap, or expensive. :smile:

Cheers mate for the response, appreciated. I would go for the co-op, but dont want to be stalked, and we're young, wanna drive fast sometimes, not drive like old granny's. I might aswell wait til i am 2 years passed, then take out a quote of 1300, my dads current insurance policy is finishing in october, so im going to have to wait for him.

Til then im going to be on a mates traders policy as a named driver. I have an option to take out a year policy as a named drive on a motor trader policy, for any car under 2.0L, for £1000 the year :smile: . But if i get stopped by police, i have to say that im on business e.g. going to work etc. Seems all legit as i have two other mates that are already on the traders, and get stopped occasionally, show the plod the certificates, and off they go :biggrin:. What do you think?
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
A Reliant Robin ?

Are you dizzy? Lol
Reply 6
Smart car?
Reply 7
Original post by VtecMB3
Cheers mate for the response, appreciated. I would go for the co-op, but dont want to be stalked, and we're young, wanna drive fast sometimes, not drive like old granny's. I might aswell wait til i am 2 years passed, then take out a quote of 1300, my dads current insurance policy is finishing in october, so im going to have to wait for him.

Til then im going to be on a mates traders policy as a named driver. I have an option to take out a year policy as a named drive on a motor trader policy, for any car under 2.0L, for £1000 the year :smile: . But if i get stopped by police, i have to say that im on business e.g. going to work etc. Seems all legit as i have two other mates that are already on the traders, and get stopped occasionally, show the plod the certificates, and off they go :biggrin:. What do you think?
Yeah, I drive safely, but the speed limit really isn't that neccessary (I mean, I can safely go 40-50mph in a 20mph near me, even police do haha) so I wouldn't want to get a box, seems really limiting. It would drive me mad. Yeah my mate is on his dad's business' insurance, cheap as chips for him, never had any problems. You could get a MUCH better car, performance-wise, if you don't have to get a 1.0! There are much bigger fish to fry compared to proving you don't work somewhere, they should just let you go. Would you be able to prove you were working in the event of an accident, though? What if you had a crash at like 2am for example, how would you prove you were making a business trip?

But yeah I'd definately go for that if I had the option. A no claims bonus is good but the main saver for our age is to just wait till we're older imo haha. Happy driving :biggrin:
Reply 8
I'm keeping an eye on this thread
Reply 9
Original post by VtecMB3
Hello, i've had two good quotes so far, i have zero ncb, and been passed for 13 months.

Co-Op Young Driverz - Honda Civic 1.5 Vtec Sport - As a named driver - £1395. Just dont like the smart box thing controlling you premiums every 3 months

Elephant.co.uk - 98' Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L - Me As policy holder, and 3 named drivers - £1800

I dont like corsa's much, and want the quote to be cheaper atleast up to 1500, i know it can be done. As this time last week i was getting quotes of 21K, tried hard, and got one for 1800. What is an even cheaper car to insure than the corsa?

Thanks, how much did you pay for your first year of driving insurance? Is my quote of 1800 good? Thanks

1.2 Polo E's are quite cheap, cheaper than the 1.0 I found. I got a 1200 quote (fully comp) at 22, though I have only been passed two months.

IMO just try avoid cars driven by boy racers, I ended up getting a 1.6 307 and it costs me 1200 a year, where as entry level Saxos and the like were around 3,000 lol.
Reply 10
Original post by VtecMB3

Young drivers speeding is why premiums are so high. What I dot like about those policies are they limit the time of day you can drive which worries me in case I need to drive somewhere as an emergency.

Also be careful with being a named driver, firstly because you aren't building your no claims on most policies so when you do become the main driver the price will shoot up dramatically, secondly insurance companies are clamping down on people fronting having some as a main driver who isn't the main driver just to make it cheaper.

It sucks but I am 3 years driving now and my insurance is around 600.
One of these

Spoiler

Original post by VtecMB3

Just wait till you crash. They will grill every last detail and all of a sudden, you'll not only have crashed but they'll void their liability and you'll a) be faced with the costs and b) be done for DWI. Driving with falsified or inaccurate insurance is akin to driving with none at all, because as soon as you crash it'll all come out. Loads of people try to get around it but it makes no sense to try and save a few hundred quid by driving with false insurance when it's no different to having none.
Ford KA cost me £910 to insure, 19 year old male, with Endsliegh. Named driver, fully comp, no other drivers! :smile:
It's because of people that lie to the police and try to get round it that insurance prices are so high.

But then again, it's because prices are so high that people try find cheaper ways, or not pay at all. What can you do?

I'm paying £1800 on my new Rio. It's 1.25 for goodness sakes but cos I'm 19 and male the price rockets.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
Original post by OwenFerny
Yeah, I drive safely, but the speed limit really isn't that neccessary (I mean, I can safely go 40-50mph in a 20mph near me, even police do haha) so I wouldn't want to get a box, seems really limiting. It would drive me mad. Yeah my mate is on his dad's business' insurance, cheap as chips for him, never had any problems. You could get a MUCH better car, performance-wise, if you don't have to get a 1.0! There are much bigger fish to fry compared to proving you don't work somewhere, they should just let you go. Would you be able to prove you were working in the event of an accident, though? What if you had a crash at like 2am for example, how would you prove you were making a business trip?

But yeah I'd definately go for that if I had the option. A no claims bonus is good but the main saver for our age is to just wait till we're older imo haha. Happy driving :biggrin:

Yeah i know, trust me. Going for the traders now, and my mate has his bmw 1 series on it, has been pulled over a few times, he shows em the docs, the plod phones up, and lets him go, always. And i dont drive after 9/10 anyway so il be alright. And if i did have a crash, all i gotta say is that i was off to take the car i was driving as someone wanted to view it. The policy holder will confirm the appointment etc. And also the policy covers social, domestic, and pleasure use too :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Bezaberry
1.2 Polo E's are quite cheap, cheaper than the 1.0 I found. I got a 1200 quote (fully comp) at 22, though I have only been passed two months.

IMO just try avoid cars driven by boy racers, I ended up getting a 1.6 307 and it costs me 1200 a year, where as entry level Saxos and the like were around 3,000 lol.

Its cheap for you because your 22, its much expensive for us 17, 18, 19, year olds. Although that polo would make it cheap. Thanks for the suggestion though
Reply 17
Original post by craglyboy
Young drivers speeding is why premiums are so high. What I dot like about those policies are they limit the time of day you can drive which worries me in case I need to drive somewhere as an emergency.

Also be careful with being a named driver, firstly because you aren't building your no claims on most policies so when you do become the main driver the price will shoot up dramatically, secondly insurance companies are clamping down on people fronting having some as a main driver who isn't the main driver just to make it cheaper.

It sucks but I am 3 years driving now and my insurance is around 600.

The policy also covers social, domestic and pleasure use too :smile: . And i done a quote on the net to see how much it would cost for me to be the policy holder when i am passed for 2 years. Quote came up as £1300. So i dont need NCB until next year, and it will still be cheap. So il stick on this traders for a year. Plus it allows me to drive SDP, and insure anycar under 2.0L, and fixed price for £1000. So its worth it, still beats the box IMO. Thanks for the post
Reply 18
Original post by Chiko 1001
Just wait till you crash. They will grill every last detail and all of a sudden, you'll not only have crashed but they'll void their liability and you'll a) be faced with the costs and b) be done for DWI. Driving with falsified or inaccurate insurance is akin to driving with none at all, because as soon as you crash it'll all come out. Loads of people try to get around it but it makes no sense to try and save a few hundred quid by driving with false insurance when it's no different to having none.

Even if i crash, the policy holder just told me that if i do, he'l just say i was on work shift, so basically the policy holder will back me up and say that i work for him etc and provide documents of sales that i do etc. So dont worry about me.
And dont worry, i wont crash. Ive been driving for a year since i passed, and havent crashed. So dont worry. Even if i do crash, i wont claim anything anyway, will settle anything with cash.
Reply 19
Original post by David Sayers
It's because of people that lie to the police and try to get round it that insurance prices are so high.

But then again, it's because prices are so high that people try find cheaper ways, or not pay at all. What can you do?

I'm paying £1800 on my new Rio. It's 1.25 for goodness sakes but cos I'm 19 and male the price rockets.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Exactly mate, insurance companies are giving us extortion prices, what can we do? Obviously we have to find a different solution and legit one too. Insurance companies are robbing us silly. Theres always ways to beat the system

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending