The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

2 5 +
I wouldn't go out with a girl that said "dude".

I guess you saw it in a survey. :s-smilie:
Reply 21
You're reading a little too far into it. I call all my friends 'dude'. I don't know why she was so iffy with you though. Did you do something to annoy her?
Reply 22
one of the most pointless and pathetic threads ive ever read. End of.......
Reply 23
No Future
I guess you saw it in a survey. :s-smilie:

...in anything other than an obvious ironic context.
Reply 24
Don't let the fact that a girl said something utterly shocking, and unfeminine put you off. :rolleyes:

It means nothing.
Reply 25
I’d never heard her – or any other girl – call anyone dude before, or since. That’s why I’m so unsure of what it meant.

No I didn’t do anything to upset her – nothing else happened, except what I said at the beginning, that’s why I don’t get why things have gone so funny/cold between us since?

I can only assume that she’s upset because I wouldn’t talk to her? Do people get upset if someone doesn’t confide in them? Is that what this is all about?

Any advice on how I can get out of this mess and back get things back to normal?
Dude - chill!
Reply 27
Maybe its just gone funny because you expect this one word "dude" to mean something, which it doesnt. Now get down that pub with her! Lol.
Reply 28
I can't believe some of the reactions to "dude" on here! Is it *really* that big of a deal?

Hi, my name is dede, and ... and ... *sob* I say "dude."
Anonymous
I can only assume that she’s upset because I wouldn’t talk to her? Do people get upset if someone doesn’t confide in them? Is that what this is all about?

Any advice on how I can get out of this mess and back get things back to normal?

Thats what I reckon mate, even if you didn't mean it as such, she may very well have been reading it as "I don't trust you enough to talk" or something equally as dramatic:wink:
Would suggest you try talking to her and behaving normally yourself... sounds like you've been playing just as many games as she, you ignore her and she's probably gonna assume thats the way you want it and ignore you right back. Take a step toward her and see where that gets you for now:cool:
JayD
It means nothing, reading way too much into it.

:dito: How on Earth do people get so worked up and confused over such a trivial thing as a word?
Reply 31
Dude means she considers you as a friend I think. It's an American thing (even today), and lots of American kids I know use it to address people they consider as friends/acquaintances, but not people they're interested in romantically. That's the impression I got but I might be mistaken.
Reply 32
Like you are totally over reacting, dude! Chill man!

On a more serious note, i call people dude all the time, its kinda one of those things i do, i would not mind if my girl friends turned around and called me dude, i would take it as a compliment tbh, i take dude as someone with utmost respect and like a cool guy, so if a girl calls me a dude then cool. We will forget about the whole beach bum/hippie part of it LOL!

Laters, dude. :biggrin:

Graham
dede
I can't believe some of the reactions to "dude" on here! Is it *really* that big of a deal?

Hi, my name is dede, and ... and ... *sob* I say "dude."

If you live in the US, then why not. I used to hear it every day when I lived there. "Dude", "Buddy"... but in Britain, unless you say it as a joke, it just sounds dumb.
I call all my guy friends "dude" and they call me "dudette" so....what's the prob?
what about guys calling a girl mate?

I get the feeling people are mistaking me for a guy.
Reply 36
Ugh, calling a girl mate is the worst.
Reply 37
SamTheMan
If you live in the US, then why not. I used to hear it every day when I lived there. "Dude", "Buddy"... but in Britain, unless you say it as a joke, it just sounds dumb.

Unless you're a member of my boatclub, obviously (or various other people in my college). For whatever reason, it's used quite a lot, either just as a general term of address, or a minor expression of affection.

It's just a local thing though. And I think that the OP is overanalysing the use of one word!
Reply 38
I can't believe you're making such an issue out of the use of the word 'dude'.
Reply 39
strawberry
I call all my guy friends "dude" and they call me "dudette" so....what's the prob?
:ditto: It doesn't mean anything, just picked it up from television.

Latest