The Student Room Group

Anyone know the Medical Sciences Diploma at Northumbria followed by Medicine degree?

The first two years of Medical Sciences are completed at Northumbria University and assuming you achieve 65% or more, you can carry on years 3, 4 and 5 studying Medicine at St George's University in Grenada. Clinical training can be done in the USA, Canada or UK.

This sounds like a great option for those who have not quite made it via the traditional route to Medicine.

Has anyone graduated via this course or anyone know anybody who has? Thanks!
I'm thinking of applying! I will have completed a Bsc Hons in Biotechnology this year, but the route I took was BTEC and HND not A levels, there for I don't exactly tick all the boxes for UK uni entry into Medicine :/ Plus I live in Northern Ireland, so I'll have to move somewhere anyway! Northumbria admissions told me I wasn't eligible for the 2 year pre med! (cheek!) and to contact St Georges directly, which I have. SO I am waiting to hear back from them, with luck, possibly for the straight forward 4 year course, and no pre med years.. cheek of that admin lady. :0
My Btec was in medial science, my HND was biology and chemistry and my degree in Biotechnology with an expected classification of a 1st class degree, and I can't even get onto an foundation degree type course! FML!
I know this is an old thread, but I thought it better to bring back this one than make a new one.

I have seen this course, does anyone know anything about it, as I am thinking of applying.
Bump,

I am quite interested if anyone knows anything about this course?
Original post by dollar
The first two years of Medical Sciences are completed at Northumbria University and assuming you achieve 65% or more, you can carry on years 3, 4 and 5 studying Medicine at St George's University in Grenada. Clinical training can be done in the USA, Canada or UK.

This sounds like a great option for those who have not quite made it via the traditional route to Medicine.

Has anyone graduated via this course or anyone know anybody who has? Thanks!

I would check out the details for this before committing. It would appear that the St George's Grenada route offered via Northumbria Uni isn't recognised by the GMC essentially meaning you wouldn't be able to sit the PLAB to be able to practice in the UK which is important assuming you'd want to come back to the UK. Whether it would allow you eligibility to sit the USMLE is another thing.

If you look under Grenada on the GMC link you'll see that the GMC don't recognise it as a primary medical qualification i.e. if applying for a job in the UK it wouldn't be worth the paper it's printed on.

If you were keen on St George's you'd most likely have to spend the entire course there. The GMC states that a qualification is only acceptable if at least a third of your time on the programme was spent in the country in which the university awarding the degree is based. From the information given it seems you only spend one pre-clinical year in Grenada which would be insufficient for a 5 year programme.

Again I'm not 100% sure on the ins and outs but I was looking into the posisbility of transferring to do my clinicals at one of these schools but was told I couldn't get direct entry to the clinical phase in the UK or the US without spending time in Grenada. Then there's the issue of the degree being recognised. St George's Grenada isn't a cheap option by any means and the last thing you'd want to do is to spend all that time and money to end up with a degree that is essentially not recognised anywhere outside of Grenada.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/acceptable_primary_medical_qualification.asp
I know this thread is old but I just want to clarify somethings. I really wish people would make sure their information is correct before misinforming others out there...
Anyway! The route via northumbria is recognised by the GMC if 50% of your training is done in grenada which must include 1 year clinical training so you can decide to do 1st year in the uk, 2nd and 3rd in grenada and then 4th in the UK again. I mean if you're considering caribbean schools, I think this is a good option as it wouldn't be a CULTURESHOCK per say. You only have to spend 2 years in grenada as opposed to spending a whole 5 years in another university in the caribbeans, I know I would not be able to cope with that...
Reply 6
Original post by Bensproperty
I know this thread is old but I just want to clarify somethings. I really wish people would make sure their information is correct before misinforming others out there...
Anyway! The route via northumbria is recognised by the GMC if 50% of your training is done in grenada which must include 1 year clinical training so you can decide to do 1st year in the uk, 2nd and 3rd in grenada and then 4th in the UK again. I mean if you're considering caribbean schools, I think this is a good option as it wouldn't be a CULTURESHOCK per say. You only have to spend 2 years in grenada as opposed to spending a whole 5 years in another university in the caribbeans, I know I would not be able to cope with that...

So it's very possible to become a GMC certified doctor via this route? If you get 65% in your first year, obviously?
Yes it is very possible! :smile:
Reply 8
Question: Do you know what grades are needed in order to apply to the medical science program in Northumbria considering I am in grade 12 from Canada.
I know this is an old thread but I'm looking to apply for this and wondering if anyone knew anything further

Latest