The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Science New Spec All Past Papers & Mark Schemes

Scroll to see replies

anyone have the c2/b2 higher may 2013 mark schemes? need them asap please
Can anyone direct me to an official/unofficial mark scheme for physics unit 2 June higher paper, I really need it.
Yeah, same. i really need that aswell. Anyone please??
Anyone have the c2/b2/p2 unofficial mark schemes please??? need them asap..
i really need the june 2013 physics unit 2 higher, does anyone have it pretty pleaseeeee:confused:
Reply 145
aqa p1 june 2013 mark scheme please
Reply 146
Original post by frances12345
i really need the june 2013 physics unit 2 higher, does anyone have it pretty pleaseeeee:confused:

Yes I have it but please rep me cos it took me long time to get it off someone. The answers are all correct.

Q1a). The engine force (motive force) was greater than the resistive forces. This means that the boat will move in the direction of the biggest force, which is the engine force hence moving it forward as there was a resultant force.
1bi) Change in velocity/time taken. 16-4=12 12/8=1.5 1.5m/s^2
1bii) F=ma 1.5*68=102N
1biii) Greater than, as the mass of the boat is bigger and the accelerations are equal between the boat and skier.
2ai) Variable resistor
2aii) The increase in voltage in the bulb means there’s an increase in current pushed around the circuit so the bulb gets warmer, thus the resistance increases to match the current as a light bulb’s resistance changes relative to heat.
2aiii) P=I*V 12*3=36watts
2b) In terms of cost, the LED bulb of course costs more in the short term, costing £11.70 as opposed to only £1.95 per bulb for a halogen bulb. However, as the average lifetime in hours for the halogen bulb is 2000 hours compared to the 36,000 hours of the LED bulb, to get the same amount of usage out of the halogen bulb as you would with an LED, you’d have to pay for 18 bulbs as 36,000 divided by 2000 is 18. 18 bulbs costing £1.95 each equate to £35.10 which is more than triple the cost of a single LED bulb. In addition to this, the LED bulb also saves you money in the long run on your electrical bill as the energy efficiency ishigher at 32% compared to the 10% on the halogen bulb, meaning more of the total electrical energy is outputted to useful energy so less energy is wasted attempting to get the halogen to produce the same amount of light as the LED does. In conclusion, the halogen is a cheap alternative to the LED in the short term, only costing £1.95 per bulb, however the LED bulb is a significantly better option in the long term in regards to efficiency and lifetime, which all contribute to the financial factor that is that the LED is cheaper in the long term as it uses less energy in outputting the same amount of light as the halogen does saving money on your electrical bill, as well as lasting 18 times longer than the halogen.
3ai) Plutonium-239
3aii) Once the energy has been released from the nuclear fuel via fission, the energy is released in the form of heat, this heat is used to heat water to make steam, which is used to drive a steam turbine connected to an electricity generator.
3b) Basically drawing another neutron in between the 2 neutrons already there and then an arrow going forwards, then drawing the diagram you can see again.
3c) If the control rods were to be lowered, they’d cover a greater surface area so more neutrons would be absorbed meaning that not that much nuclear fission can undergo, so there is less energy made.
4ai) The distance the vehicle travels during the driver’s reaction time where a hazard is spotted and action is took to prevent the hazard.
4aii) 1.) The speed at which the vehicle is traveling as you’ll travel further
2.) How tired or under the influence you are.
4bi) KE=1/2*MASS*SPEED^2 0.5*1600*20^2 = 320,000 J
4bii) 320,000J
4biii) Work done = force*distance, rearranged to distance = work done/force, 320,000/8000=40m
4biv) Weather conditions affecting the road surface
4bv) When the brakes are applied, kinetic energy is created due to friction which means the particles in the brakes collide into each other more frequently, thus increasing temperature as they’re moving faster.
4c) The benefit is that energy instead of being wasted is made useful as the break’s electrical generator turns the kinetic energy into electrical energy which is stored in the car’s battery as chemical energy. This makes the car more energy efficient and can save money on electricity in the long run.
5a) 78
5b) Atomic
5ci) 131 in the top box, 54 in the bottom box.
5cii)32 days, 1200/2 = 600/2=300/2=150/2=75, halved 1200 4 times to get 75, 4*8=32 (8 days between each half-life)
5ciii) Non-radioactive isotope will be stored in the thyroid glands before the radioactive does, so the radioactive one can't be stored in glands. Decreases chance of cancer.
6a) 2.2 Ohms V=I*R rearranged to R=V/I= 230/26=8.8 (1dp) this is for 4 hobs, 8.8/4=2.2Ohms
6b) As the electric cooker hob uses a 2.5mm^2 copper wired cable to connect to the power socket, which on the table indicates the maximum safe amps able to pass through is 20 A whereas the cooker draws a current of 26 A, 6 amps too many for it to be safe.
6bii) The cross sectional area of the copper wires should be 4mm^2. The exterior cabling should be made of a thick insulating material, preferably plastic, as this is safe as well as it being flexible which is also structurally important.
6c) Alternating currents constantly changes directions whereas in direct currents, the current flows in only one direction.
Reply 147
Original post by AaaaMa
Yes I have it but please rep me cos it took me long time to get it off someone. The answers are all correct.

Q1a). The engine force (motive force) was greater than the resistive forces. This means that the boat will move in the direction of the biggest force, which is the engine force hence moving it forward as there was a resultant force.
1bi) Change in velocity/time taken. 16-4=12 12/8=1.5 1.5m/s^2
1bii) F=ma 1.5*68=102N
1biii) Greater than, as the mass of the boat is bigger and the accelerations are equal between the boat and skier.
2ai) Variable resistor
2aii) The increase in voltage in the bulb means there’s an increase in current pushed around the circuit so the bulb gets warmer, thus the resistance increases to match the current as a light bulb’s resistance changes relative to heat.
2aiii) P=I*V 12*3=36watts
2b) In terms of cost, the LED bulb of course costs more in the short term, costing £11.70 as opposed to only £1.95 per bulb for a halogen bulb. However, as the average lifetime in hours for the halogen bulb is 2000 hours compared to the 36,000 hours of the LED bulb, to get the same amount of usage out of the halogen bulb as you would with an LED, you’d have to pay for 18 bulbs as 36,000 divided by 2000 is 18. 18 bulbs costing £1.95 each equate to £35.10 which is more than triple the cost of a single LED bulb. In addition to this, the LED bulb also saves you money in the long run on your electrical bill as the energy efficiency ishigher at 32% compared to the 10% on the halogen bulb, meaning more of the total electrical energy is outputted to useful energy so less energy is wasted attempting to get the halogen to produce the same amount of light as the LED does. In conclusion, the halogen is a cheap alternative to the LED in the short term, only costing £1.95 per bulb, however the LED bulb is a significantly better option in the long term in regards to efficiency and lifetime, which all contribute to the financial factor that is that the LED is cheaper in the long term as it uses less energy in outputting the same amount of light as the halogen does saving money on your electrical bill, as well as lasting 18 times longer than the halogen.
3ai) Plutonium-239
3aii) Once the energy has been released from the nuclear fuel via fission, the energy is released in the form of heat, this heat is used to heat water to make steam, which is used to drive a steam turbine connected to an electricity generator.
3b) Basically drawing another neutron in between the 2 neutrons already there and then an arrow going forwards, then drawing the diagram you can see again.
3c) If the control rods were to be lowered, they’d cover a greater surface area so more neutrons would be absorbed meaning that not that much nuclear fission can undergo, so there is less energy made.
4ai) The distance the vehicle travels during the driver’s reaction time where a hazard is spotted and action is took to prevent the hazard.
4aii) 1.) The speed at which the vehicle is traveling as you’ll travel further
2.) How tired or under the influence you are.
4bi) KE=1/2*MASS*SPEED^2 0.5*1600*20^2 = 320,000 J
4bii) 320,000J
4biii) Work done = force*distance, rearranged to distance = work done/force, 320,000/8000=40m
4biv) Weather conditions affecting the road surface
4bv) When the brakes are applied, kinetic energy is created due to friction which means the particles in the brakes collide into each other more frequently, thus increasing temperature as they’re moving faster.
4c) The benefit is that energy instead of being wasted is made useful as the break’s electrical generator turns the kinetic energy into electrical energy which is stored in the car’s battery as chemical energy. This makes the car more energy efficient and can save money on electricity in the long run.
5a) 78
5b) Atomic
5ci) 131 in the top box, 54 in the bottom box.
5cii)32 days, 1200/2 = 600/2=300/2=150/2=75, halved 1200 4 times to get 75, 4*8=32 (8 days between each half-life)
5ciii) Non-radioactive isotope will be stored in the thyroid glands before the radioactive does, so the radioactive one can't be stored in glands. Decreases chance of cancer.
6a) 2.2 Ohms V=I*R rearranged to R=V/I= 230/26=8.8 (1dp) this is for 4 hobs, 8.8/4=2.2Ohms
6b) As the electric cooker hob uses a 2.5mm^2 copper wired cable to connect to the power socket, which on the table indicates the maximum safe amps able to pass through is 20 A whereas the cooker draws a current of 26 A, 6 amps too many for it to be safe.
6bii) The cross sectional area of the copper wires should be 4mm^2. The exterior cabling should be made of a thick insulating material, preferably plastic, as this is safe as well as it being flexible which is also structurally important.
6c) Alternating currents constantly changes directions whereas in direct currents, the current flows in only one direction.

do you have the C2 june 2013 mark scheme? its urgent! thank you!!
Reply 148
I have one now but it took me long to get it so please rep

Sorry but I don't have all the answers. Hope I helped anyway.

This is c2 aqa gcse june 2013

1ai) As the number of spatula measure of sodium hydroncarbonate increases, so too does the change in temperature, this reaches its optimum change, 10 degrees, at 8 spatula measures. However, the Final temperature decreases as the number of spatula measures increase, this levels off at 6 spatula measures, at around 10 degrees. The start temperature however remains around 20 degrees for the entirety of the spatula measure increases.
1aii) Exothermic
1bi) The release of CO2 causes cake batter and bread dough to rise.
1bii) It would need to be heated to overcome the activation energy.
1ci) 23+1+12+ (16*3) = 84
1cii) 84/100*12 = 14.29%
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2a) 1 The loss in mass in grams hydrogen gas is given off (Hence)
2 The time it takes for the loss of mass hence time in seconds being a factor.
2b)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ai) moles* atomic mass, 5.6 tons
3aii) 61.76 actual*100 / predicted
3aiii)
3b) Take readings of mass at regular time intervals
Put the results in a table and work out the los sin mass for each reading. Plot a graph.
Repeat with more concentrated acid solutions, but always with the same amount of magnesium.
The volume of avid must always be kept the same too - only the concentration is increased.
The three graphs show the same old pattern - a higher concentration giving a steeper graph, wit hthe higher reaction finishing much quicker.
3ci) Hydroxide ions
3cii) Precipitation reaction
3ciii) nitric acid
3civ) (NH4)2SO4
4aii) he was a professor of chemistry so his opinion was well respected
4b) both potassium and hydrogen are attracted towards the negative electrode
- as hydrogen is the least reactive metal it forms at the electrode
- these hydrogen ions from water become hydrogen atoms and bond to each other, forming hydrogen gas molecules
4ci) Potassium ions are formed when the atom loses a single electron due to a bond with another atom(s).
4cii) 2Cl- ---> Cl2 + 2e-
4ciii) 2, 8, 8
5a) an alloy is stronger than pure metal because in a pure metal all the atoms are the same size and ordered. Alloys have a mixture.
5b) Diamond has a giant molecular structure. Each carbon atom is covalently bonded to four other carbon atoms. A lot of energy is needed to separate the atoms in diamond. This is because covalent bonds are strong, and diamond contains very many covalent bonds. This makes diamond's melting point and boiling point very high.
There are no free electrons or ions in diamond, so it does not conduct electricity.
5c) Thermosoftening polymers soften when heated and can be shaped when hot. The shape will harden when it is cooled, but can be reshaped when heated up again. Poly(ethene) is a thermosoftening polymer. Its tangled polymer chains can uncoil and slide past each other, making it a flexible material. thermoSOFTENING plastics are flexible and MELT when heated.
6a) Carbon is a non-metal with a fairly small atomic radius close to that of oxygen. Carbon dioxide consists of molecules in which a single carbon atom is double-bonded to two oxygen atoms. As CO2 is a relatively small, nonpolar molecule it is a gas. Because the room temperature is way above its boiling point -57 °C
6bi) The purpose of the gas chromatograph is to separate mixtures into individual components that can be detected and measured one at a time.
6bii) The recorder draws a gas chromoatograph. The number of peaks shows the number of different compounds in the sample
position of the peaks show teh retention time of each substance.
6ci) Ph 2
6cii)
6d)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 149

1ai) As the number of spatula measure of sodium hydrogencarbonate increases, so too does the change in temperature, this reaches its optimum change, 10 degrees, at 8 spatula measures. However, the Final temperature decreases as the number of spatula measures increase, this levels off at 6 spatula measures, at around 10 degrees. The start temperature however remains around 20 degrees for the entirety of the spatula measure increases.
1aii) Exothermic
1cii) 84/100*12 = 14.29%
2b)
3aiii)
Put the results in a table and work out the loss in mass for each reading. Plot a graph.
Repeat with more concentrated acid solutions, but always with the same amount of magnesium.
The volume of avid must always be kept the same too - only the concentration is increased.
The three graphs show the same old pattern - a higher concentration giving a steeper graph, with the higher reaction finishing much quicker.
3ci) Hydroxide ions
3ciii) nitric acid
3civ) (NH4)2SO4
- these hydrogen ions from water become hydrogen atoms and bond to each other, forming hydrogen gas molecules
4ci) Potassium ions are formed when the atom loses a single electron due to a bond with another atom(s).
4ciii) 2, 8, 8
5a) an alloy is stronger than pure metal because in a pure metal all the atoms are the same size and ordered. Alloys have a mixture.
5b) Diamond has a giant molecular structure. Each carbon atom is covalently bonded to four other carbon atoms. A lot of energy is needed to separate the atoms in diamond. This is because covalent bonds are strong, and diamond contains very many covalent bonds. This makes diamond's melting point and boiling point very high.
There are no free electrons or ions in diamond, so it does not conduct electricity.
5c) Thermosoftening polymers soften when heated and can be shaped when hot. The shape will harden when it is cooled, but can be reshaped when heated up again. Poly(ethene) is a thermosoftening polymer. Its tangled polymer chains can uncoil and slide past each other, making it a flexible material. thermoSOFTENING plastics are flexible and MELT when heated.
6a) Carbon is a non-metal with a fairly small atomic radius close to that of oxygen. Carbon dioxide consists of molecules in which a single carbon atom is double-bonded to two oxygen atoms. As CO2 is a relatively small, nonpolar molecule it is a gas. Because the room temperature is way above its boiling point -57 °C
6bi) The purpose of the gas chromatograph is to separate mixtures into individual components that can be detected and measured one at a time.
6bii) The recorder draws a gas chromoatograph. The number of peaks shows the number of different compounds in the sample
6ci) Ph 2
6cii)
6d)
Original post by AaaaMa

1ai) As the number of spatula measure of sodium hydrogencarbonate increases, so too does the change in temperature, this reaches its optimum change, 10 degrees, at 8 spatula measures. However, the Final temperature decreases as the number of spatula measures increase, this levels off at 6 spatula measures, at around 10 degrees. The start temperature however remains around 20 degrees for the entirety of the spatula measure increases.
1aii) Exothermic
1cii) 84/100*12 = 14.29%
2b)
3aiii)
Put the results in a table and work out the loss in mass for each reading. Plot a graph.
The three graphs show the same old pattern - a higher concentration giving a steeper graph, with the higher reaction finishing much quicker.
3ci) Hydroxide ions
3ciii) nitric acid
3civ) (NH4)2SO4
4ciii) 2, 8, 8
6ci) Ph 2
6cii)
6d)

Wow, thanks a lot!!! Do you by any chance have P1? I can't possibly revise without mark schemes.... :smile: Also, may I know where you got these answers from? It must have taken a long time! Once again, thank you!!!!!
Not all the answers are correct, e.g. 4aii) speed has nothing to do with the thinking distance, but instead the braking distance. I think you need to revise the answers :/
Original post by needausername
Not all the answers are correct, e.g. 4aii) speed has nothing to do with the thinking distance, but instead the braking distance. I think you need to revise the answers :/

Speed does affect the thinking distance; it is the only factor to affect both the thinking and the braking distance.
Reply 153
you literately saved my life, have too many exams forgot to revise and knowing that the paper is here, thanks so much :colondollar:
Reply 154
I've got my exams next week and its the foundation exam paper from June 2013 but I am having a little problem I need the mark scheme it would be grateful if somebody could put it in this website.
thanks
If your doing Core science Physics Paper
REMEMBER!!!!
The back has quite a few Easy questions about evaporation, Radiation , etc!!!

START YOUR PHYSICS CORE SCIENCE EXAM BY ATLEAST CHECKING THE BACk!

:smile: Thank you

And good luck.

~Ashley~
Reply 156
i really need the p1 mark scheme i dont mind if its unofficial cause ive been looking for it for days :bawling::bawling: so pleease can someone put it down here or give me a link
Reply 157
b1 papers
june 2012 got 48/60
jan 2012 got 52/60
jan 2013 got 46/60
what are the grades? and i marked harshly
Original post by Ghalib999
b1 papers
june 2012 got 48/60
jan 2012 got 52/60
jan 2013 got 46/60
what are the grades? and i marked harshly

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

That's the link for a mark to UMS converter just enter your mark amd exam series and it'll give you your UMS. I think it tells you already but in terms of UMS 90+ is an A* 80+ is an A 70+ is a B and so on
Reply 159
Have you got the June 2013 AQA Additional Science paper 1 and 2 higher and also their mark schemes? It would be great if you did?

Quick Reply

Latest