The Student Room Group

****ing Lenovo laptops - pre-installed adware

I recently bought a lenovo laptop. It came with a **** load of bloatware but the worst bloatware was a program called superfish. It's a ****ing type of adware ffs. My laptop started ****ing up and would no longer connect to the internet.

A quick google search of "superfish lenovo" and you'll find loads of similar stories.

So delete this bs from your laptop if you get it ok? This was just a heads up.

It's unbelieveble that companies would pre-install adware. I read somewhere that this adware gives lenovo some commission or something. ****ing ridiculous.

That's the last time I'm buying a lenovo laptop. I'm not an air-head. **** lenovo.

Peace out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
That's pretty shady. Hopefully the message spreads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty normal for laptop makers to stuff their laptops full of bloatware.
Just uninstall them all.
Reply 3
yea you can probably remove it if you try hard enuff
Reply 4
Original post by what is life :/
I recently bought a lenovo laptop. It came with a **** load of bloatware but the worst bloatware was a program called superfish. It's a ****ing type of adware ffs. My laptop started ****ing up and would no longer connect to the internet.

A quick google search of "superfish lenovo" and you'll find loads of similar stories.

So delete this bs from your laptop if you get it ok? This was just a heads up.

It's unbelieveble that companies would pre-install adware. I read somewhere that this adware gives lenovo some commission or something. ****ing ridiculous.

That's the last time I'm buying a lenovo laptop. I'm not an air-head. **** lenovo.

Peace out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but how do you actually remove this from your laptop? I've tried to uninstall it 3 times but every time I restart my laptop this adware is still on it.

Is there some software that will help remove it? From what I've read this installed adware pops up ads and stuff and when if you buy from that ad Lenovo get a share of the sale.

Very sneaky. By the way my laptop isn't new I just bought it second hand if that helps..
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by evelon
Yeah but how do you actually remove this from your laptop? I've tried to uninstall it 3 times but every time I restart my laptop this adware is still on it.

Is there some software that will help remove it? From what I've read this installed adware pops up ads and stuff and when if you buy from that ad Lenovo get a share of the sale.

Very sneaky. By the way my laptop isn't new I just bought it second hand if that helps.

Delete from registry would be my guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by evelon

Very sneaky. By the way my laptop isn't new I just bought it second hand if that helps.

I've got a Lenovo laptop but mine wasn't infected. I did check though using this:

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/product_security/superfish_uninstall

If that doesn't work then use Google to find what else you can do.
Reply 7
Original post by Souljer
Delete from registry would be my guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
And task scheduler.

When I have shiteware pre-installed on a computer, I just do a wipe (as facilitated by Windows 10) which pretty much always takes all that guff with it.

When I was a student and thus eligable for free copies of Windows, I used to take the machine home and do a completely clean install from images straight from Microsoft, even going so far as to remove recovery partitions.
Yup. Step one on buying any pre-built PC: wipe it and reinstall the operating system. Always.
Reply 9
Original post by Gax
yea you can probably remove it if you try hard enuff

It is not as easy as you think , It's easy to lock your computer if you don't do it properly. Unless you're ready to unlock.just like me ,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending