The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
SunburnedCactus
I do like the new Dream Theater one, although it is slightly formulaic it is great fun to play on my new 7-string. Constant Motion is a right finger-twister.

You'll love Symphony X's album even more then. :smile:
*resurrects thread*

Anyone heard of Primal Fear? Just listening to some of their stuff right now, they're awesome!! Any Judas Priest fans here should check them out.

Also can anyone recommend me the best albums by Pain of Salvation, Fates Warning and Motley Crue?
Reply 242
Darkened Angel
*resurrects thread*

Anyone heard of Primal Fear? Just listening to some of their stuff right now, they're awesome!! Any Judas Priest fans here should check them out.

Also can anyone recommend me the best albums by Pain of Salvation, Fates Warning and Motley Crue?

Thanks DA, i forgot all about this somehow :redface:

The only band i've heard of there is Motley Crue, you sure do listen to weird music :p: . I think the album with Girls x3 on it is supposed to be the best.

Btw has anyone got any decent gigs coming up before the end of the year?
SmilerNuts
Thanks DA, i forgot all about this somehow :redface:

The only band i've heard of there is Motley Crue, you sure do listen to weird music :p: . I think the album with Girls x3 on it is supposed to be the best.

Btw has anyone got any decent gigs coming up before the end of the year?

Well weird music usually turns out to be the most satisfying :p:

I might go see Sepultura, they're playing at a local club. Depends though, I'm not too keen on going by myself.
I stumbled across something awesome today (http://www.myspace.com/fogtimewaster). Worth checking out if you like your rock/indie interesting.
Reply 245
Sepultura avoided my city but they're playing everywhere else in Scotland so i aint speaking to them anymore :p:
Otherwise i would offer to come with you

I've only got a few more bands to see now, Zico Chain tomorrow night should be good though :smile:
^ Zico Chain are a great band, I've seen them live twice they put on a good show!
Dont worry about it Smilernuts :smile: I really loved the last album by Seputura, I hope they play something from that one.

Haven't heard of Zico Chain before, listening to their MySpace right now, they sound really good! :smile: Might get some albums, any recomendations?

ad absurdum
I stumbled across something awesome today (http://www.myspace.com/fogtimewaster). Worth checking out if you like your rock/indie interesting.

Didn't like them much, I'm not a huge indie fan though.
Reply 248
Darkened Angel
Dont worry about it Smilernuts :smile: I really loved the last album by Seputura, I hope they play something from that one.

Haven't heard of Zico Chain before, listening to their MySpace right now, they sound really good! :smile: Might get some albums, any recomendations?

Didn't like them much, I'm not a huge indie fan though.

They've only got 1 mini album out so far, ful length debut in October. I'd wait till then cause the mini album is notoriously hard to get your hands on.
You should all come up to Aberdeen and see them tonight :smile:

What do you think of Sepultura with the new guys as opposed to the Cavalera brothers?

Hello_Kitty
Zico Chain are a great band, I've seen them live twice they put on a good show

Really? That's cool, what do they do like? From their blog it seems like they break stuff a lot. Will be my first ever time seeing them. I've got the drummers mobile number so i've been talking to him, we're making them a cake :biggrin:
SmilerNuts
What do you think of Sepultura with the new guys as opposed to the Cavalera brothers?

Well I prefer Dante XXI over any album with the Cavalera brothers, haven't really gotten into any other albums by the new guys though, cant really remember the rest, haven't listened to this band for a while.
Chaos AD is a great album by the older guys and I've heard some stuff from Roots and Arise, they were pretty good too. I dont like the first two albums by Sepultura, not really my sorta thing.
The Cavalera brothers are working together on a new project, apparently.
SmilerNuts
Really? That's cool, what do they do like? From their blog it seems like they break stuff a lot. Will be my first ever time seeing them. I've got the drummers mobile number so i've been talking to him, we're making them a cake :biggrin:

How did you get hold of Ollie's mobile number??
When I saw them a couple of weeks ago, I'm pretty sure the singer Chris was wasted, and he kept standing on the speakers at the front and would then proceed to fall off onto the floor HARD. I'm pretty sure the gig where they broke stuff was a one off, they didn't do anything like that at Rock City!
anyone here into Black Metal? listening to L'ACEPHALE and its immense.. i strongly recommend it to anyone wanting something GRIM.. its out on my favourite extreme metal label too.. Aurora Borealis, home to the awesome Moss and Wolfmangler.
Reply 253
Darkened Angel
*resurrects thread*

yeah I know Primal Fear, they're awesome. Black Sun is probably their best album.
You should check out Gamma Ray, I think you'd like them.

For Fates Warning, I'd probably go for The Spectre Within or Awaken the Guardian.
Salain
yeah I know Primal Fear, they're awesome. Black Sun is probably their best album.
You should check out Gamma Ray, I think you'd like them.

For Fates Warning, I'd probably go for The Spectre Within or Awaken the Guardian.

Hey thanks for the suggestions, and I checked out Gamma Ray's myspace, they sound really cool! Very different from anything else I've heard! :smile:
SoundDevastation
anyone here into Black Metal? listening to L'ACEPHALE and its immense.. i strongly recommend it to anyone wanting something GRIM.. its out on my favourite extreme metal label too.. Aurora Borealis, home to the awesome Moss and Wolfmangler.
I've never heard any of the Aurora Borealis bands. I've used their distro before though, they stock alot of less underground stuff which is handy for when Supernal are out of stock. I bought a couple of Deathspell Omega albums from them not too long ago.
Meads of Asphodel, Emperor and Melechesh are my favourites Black Metal wise.
Anybody know any good rock/metal bands with a female singer? The only ones I've heard so far are Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.
Invasion... they used to be alot better than they are now though.

otherwise, theres Rolo Tomassi... Gallhammer.. and bands with male/female dual vocals such as Circle Takes The Square and Kylesa.

None of them sound anything like Nightwish though...
Reply 259
Darkened Angel
Well I prefer Dante XXI over any album with the Cavalera brothers, haven't really gotten into any other albums by the new guys though, cant really remember the rest, haven't listened to this band for a while.
Chaos AD is a great album by the older guys and I've heard some stuff from Roots and Arise, they were pretty good too. I dont like the first two albums by Sepultura, not really my sorta thing.

I'm the total opposite. I love the first few Sepultura albums. Schizophrenia, Beneath The Remains and Arise are all excellent albums. Absolutely essential for anyone who likes Slayer and extreme metal.

Chaos AD is decent but disappointing compared to those three albums. Roots was rubbish. The albums after that are a waste of time.

Latest