The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So long as you have good grades and are enthusiastic about your subject you stand as good a chance as anybody...nobody had gotten into Cambridge from where I live for 5-6 yrs, but I did - so go for it!
I don't think they limit numbers per country. If you're good enough they'll try and give you a go but in general, yes it is pretty tough and a lot of the admissions process is a bit of a lottery

MB
Reply 3
Mafer
My target is Cambridge, but I somehow will not stand a chance. See, the maximum number of people that enter there from my country are 3. Is it really that pity?

There are far more than 3 Malaysians in each year at Cambridge. Musicbloke is right, give it a go.
Reply 4
Far more than three- I've met at least three and that's just my college and the small number of people I know from others.
The country you're from won't make any difference at all to your application. What matters is being predicted top grades, doing very well at interview and in any tests/sumbitted work and having passion for your subject. You might as well give it a go. You have nothing to lose :smile:
Reply 6
You can just walk or drive in, dude. ,They don't have security barriers or anything.
Reply 7
Mafer
My target is Cambridge, but I somehow will not stand a chance. See, the maximum number of people that enter there from my country are 3. Is it really that pity?

You from M'sia right? You sure there is only 3 persons went to Cam each yrs? Where do you got this figure??? I simply doubt that.

You need good STPM/A-Level (most probably straight As, but not SPM definitely) to stand a chance to get in OxBridge, but it's not impossible. Dun give up!
Reply 8
Camford
You can just walk or drive in, dude. ,They don't have security barriers or anything.

lol :rolleyes: - nice answer to a literally interpreted question :cool:
Reply 9
Yes it's tres Camfo :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 10
I mean, maximum 3 who go with through the government, others maybe go themselves or what. Now in Malaysia, I am from a chinese school of course, SPM can't get into a University straight, but choices we have are private college, JPA(sponsored by government), Form 6(A-level for STPM) and matriculation, or otherwise, sneak out into another country universuty. I cut out private college. And for the JPA, do you know there is one who study in my school, top student, and get all distinction for13 subject, 14 in the whole country,and he can't get JPA scholarship before he apply once. And now, he got a twining programme instead!
Reply 11
And the matriculation isn't at all cheerful, its certificate is useless for other university except some local University! My God!
For A-level, it's easy to be chucked out. Many dropped out at that level!
It's awful!
Reply 12
Is here any malaysian who study in cambridge?
Reply 13
Have you asked the Cambridge Admissions Office for advice? (or one of the College admissions offices?)
Reply 14
yep, but what i want to know is now, what I study are only Physics, Biology, and Chemistry in a very shallow standard, and not pure science.
Reply 15
minimo
Yes it's tres Camfo :rolleyes: :p:

Funny that becausse crana wrote it. Just like she wrote this one.

Why do you only study 3 subjects very shallowly?
Reply 16
Mafer
yep, but what i want to know is now, what I study are only Physics, Biology, and Chemistry in a very shallow standard, and not pure science.

how "shallow" is it then? :rolleyes: quote some examples of what you're studying so we can all judge objectively?
Reply 17
It's not what I mean, we just study a few formulas. I can know it when I have some study from A-level books, i study only tiny little bit. Okey, maybe that's normal. But I take 13 subjects now, Malay, English, Chinese, Chinese Literary, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Add Maths, Modern MAths, Moral, History,Accountancy, and English for Science and Technology(EST, it will be closed in two years). And I wanna be scientist, and my parents told me that I'm not rational. Because, In my country, even biotech are still a job which few knows,and many scientist in our country starved. My teacher told me, if I really want to succeed in my aim, I have to find that job overseas. And my family can't support me financially. My God!
Reply 18
Mafer
It's not what I mean, we just study a few formulas. I can know it when I have some study from A-level books, i study only tiny little bit. Okey, maybe that's normal. But I take 13 subjects now, Malay, English, Chinese, Chinese Literary, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Add Maths, Modern MAths, Moral, History,Accountancy, and English for Science and Technology(EST, it will be closed in two years). And I wanna be scientist, and my parents told me that I'm not rational. Because, In my country, even biotech are still a job which few knows,and many scientist in our country starved. My teacher told me, if I really want to succeed in my aim, I have to find that job overseas. And my family can't support me financially. My God!

like you said in the other thread, you are reading the O level equivalent. you can't possibly expect to know what is taught in a level texts.
Reply 19
what qualifications can you take after SPM? Can you choose to do only sciences/maths subjects after SPM? It is likely that Cambridge will consider these qualifications....your SPM may be taken into account, but they will rely on whatever you study after it as well, before you enter university.

Latest