The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, a lot of my plans have changed. =/ I'm not going on any trips with people any more. The Scotland trip got canned cos my friend has a job now, but he may take a week off work to go. The Euro-Trip got canned because I got told "we don't think you ride well in a group so we're not sure you should come" to which i decided **** that. I might still go around Europe, but on my own rather than with other people..
Some pictures from Beaulieu:

Spoiler

And of course the best looking bike there:

:biggrin:

EDIT:

Also, a comparison of before and after on my bike - it's not fully modified yet but it's close:

(Spot the difference!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by omicronlyrae
Beaulieu

Looked like a good day. Weather looked decent as well. It's weird down here at the moment; it's cloudy but it's very warm and we had thunder earlier!
Hey guys, do you think a 125cc motorbike is worth getting if your parents have said they would pay for car insurance? I know this is a motorbike society, so of course you're going to say they're better than cars, but what if I want to carry stuff...like camping stuff?

Thanks.
Original post by Dont-Do-It
Hey guys, do you think a 125cc motorbike is worth getting if your parents have said they would pay for car insurance? I know this is a motorbike society, so of course you're going to say they're better than cars, but what if I want to carry stuff...like camping stuff?

Thanks.

a 125 + luggage is..awkward. I have done 200 miles on a 125 with a backpack and a topbox full of stuff and it is not pleasant. Also, if you're going to be camping i would assume tent/stove/roll mat/sleeping bag/etc, and that won't fit in a small top box. You could lash it to the rear seat but it wouldn't be pleasant. if you're going to regularly do something like that, get a car. If you're going to just pootle round town 98% of the time, a bike will be much cheaper - road tax is near nothing on a 125, insurance is cheap, and you can ride a 125 on your own on a learner license anywhere except motorways. =)

Thanks.

It really depends on what your needs are. If you need the carrying capacity, then a car's the obvious choice but if you can push past getting wet, then the bike's a cheaper option all round. A 125 costs £15 for road tax, insurance will be under £500 easily and you'll be paying a lot less for fuel and returning a better fuel consumption.

I've no doubt that in the future when I settle down with my wife and start a family, I'm going to need a car eventually but at the moment, I can get away with everything on my bike.
Reply 266

Thanks.

Depends what you use things for I guess. You can manage on a bike, but life is 100 times easier if you have a car as well. Things like going for nights out, taking friends home, carrying large items or lots of stuff. What are you going to do when it rains, or is icy? Plenty of people do manage without a car, but I couldnt.
Reply 267
Original post by omicronlyrae
Well, a lot of my plans have changed. =/ I'm not going on any trips with people any more. The Scotland trip got canned cos my friend has a job now, but he may take a week off work to go. The Euro-Trip got canned because I got told "we don't think you ride well in a group so we're not sure you should come" to which i decided **** that. I might still go around Europe, but on my own rather than with other people..

You're welcome to come to wales leaving sunday, don't know where you'd stay saturday night as i'm at landys, but we're going ainly to play on the bikes.

Thanks.

I go touring on my sv650, everything strapped down. But if you want to take friends, go out in winter, go on long journeys, a bigger bike or car, not a 125.

I'm sunburnt, and stuffed, I got to watch tennis today and then tea at Covent garden :biggrin:
Reply 268
I think Rich was just mad at me coz I missed our 3000 mile celebration. That would have been on Friday. However, after yesterday we are now halfway to our 4000 mile celebration, which is scary. He got a bit excited at one point, though, and he ended up driving the fastest he's ever been.

I saw a red Ninja.

And if I had a motorbike I wouldn'ta got stuck in traffic :sad:
Reply 269
Original post by LandyJon
Looked like a good day. Weather looked decent as well. It's weird down here at the moment; it's cloudy but it's very warm and we had thunder earlier!

we have thunder and lightening.

i was wondering, depending how up for a trek you are... something like this
Reply 270
I had my first ever ride on the back of a motorbike on Sunday (aged 22 >.<). Always wanted to before that but was too scared...but loved it so much that I'm now planning to learn to ride a motorbike and then get one once I get a new job!

It was pretty awesome though. It was on the back of a police bike with one of their instructors, and the police officers were doing their bike courses, so he he took me round with them, did all the slow stuff like slaloms/cones, tight corners, and all that (and watched them doing their riding on the pavements, up the curbs, on the grass, standing up, changing positions (e.g. from standing up to having both legs on one side and back etc :biggrin:), and then he took me on a faster ride on one of the straight roads (at their driving school, not just a 'normal' road!) to show me the acceleration. :biggrin:

I can see why people love motorbikes so much! Very jealous. :smile:
Reply 271
Original post by Liv1204
I had my first ever ride on the back of a motorbike on Sunday (aged 22 &gt;.&lt:wink:. Always wanted to before that but was too scared...but loved it so much that I'm now planning to learn to ride a motorbike and then get one once I get a new job!

It was pretty awesome though. It was on the back of a police bike with one of their instructors, and the police officers were doing their bike courses, so he he took me round with them, did all the slow stuff like slaloms/cones, tight corners, and all that (and watched them doing their riding on the pavements, up the curbs, on the grass, standing up, changing positions (e.g. from standing up to having both legs on one side and back etc :biggrin:), and then he took me on a faster ride on one of the straight roads (at their driving school, not just a 'normal' road!) to show me the acceleration. :biggrin:

I can see why people love motorbikes so much! Very jealous. :smile:

Glad to see you've got the bug. And you've picked the best way to find out about being a pillion, a bad rider could scare you off.

Riding a bike is far more fun than being on the back :biggrin:
Reply 272
Original post by Bathwiggle
Glad to see you've got the bug. And you've picked the best way to find out about being a pillion, a bad rider could scare you off.

Riding a bike is far more fun than being on the back :biggrin:

I think that's what put me off before - the police instructor was saying it's a good way to have your first experience on a bike because a lot of people will try to show off with the acceleration, but it feels a lot safer when you trust that you're with someone who knows what they're doing! And they were definitely very skilled riders!

But yeah, riding a bike's the fun part...just need the money so I can learn now. :biggrin: Haven't got a clue how much a reasonable motorbike would cost to buy/run though...!
Reply 273
Original post by Liv1204
I think that's what put me off before - the police instructor was saying it's a good way to have your first experience on a bike because a lot of people will try to show off with the acceleration, but it feels a lot safer when you trust that you're with someone who knows what they're doing! And they were definitely very skilled riders!

But yeah, riding a bike's the fun part...just need the money so I can learn now. :biggrin: Haven't got a clue how much a reasonable motorbike would cost to buy/run though...!

A rough idea on the OP.

I brought a wee 400cc bandit when i passed my restricted test for £700, insurance was £400 TPFT with express insurance and my ex on the insurance.

Running costs
£25 MOT
bike tax £35 for 125-400 i think, 400-600cc £53 or £74 if over 600cc.
Tyres £200-250 for a pair.
petrol about 55mpg, more if you're sensible
Bike gear see op

I thought about £2000 to get you up and running, including the test, insurance and bike/gear

Servicing depends on usage and if you do it yourself
Going to the goodwood festival of speed this weekend.

It will be epic. Last time my dad was there he spent 10 minutes casually chatting with Jenson Button/Mick Doohan...

Going to have to try and blag some passes to get into the cool areas like he did last time but there's BSB on this weekend so not sure if most the riders we know will be there... :colone:
Reply 275
Mu budget is £2,000 for bike, gear (except boots and gloves, got them) and insurance. Should be easily doable :holmes:
Reply 276
A rough idea on the OP.

I brought a wee 400cc bandit when i passed my restricted test for £700, insurance was £400 TPFT with express insurance and my ex on the insurance.

Running costs
£25 MOT
bike tax £35 for 125-400 i think, 400-600cc £53 or £74 if over 600cc.
Tyres £200-250 for a pair.
petrol about 55mpg, more if you're sensible
Bike gear see op

I thought about £2000 to get you up and running, including the test, insurance and bike/gear

Servicing depends on usage and if you do it yourself

Ah thank-you, I didn't even notice that I read the OP (that'll teach me for skim-reading!)

That's not as bad as I was expecting, to be fair. Definitely going to look into getting a bike once I get a new job now!
we have thunder and lightening.

i was wondering, depending how up for a trek you are... something like this

Not really sure of the route as I can only see dots but yeah sure :lol: Plenty of decent pics on the Beacons :biggrin:

Original post by MHorman

My College is helping with the catering. I think they leave tomorrow. If I hadn't already have made plans, I would have applied for it but given how ridiculously **** the choosing process was, it's anybody's guess as to whether I would have been picked.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 278
Original post by Liv1204
Ah thank-you, I didn't even notice that I read the OP (that'll teach me for skim-reading!)

That's not as bad as I was expecting, to be fair. Definitely going to look into getting a bike once I get a new job now!

I love my bike :biggrin: It is cheaper than a car, but helps if you have a trusted mechanic, i have a place where my father goes, and i know they won't try and over charge me/ lie about work that needs doing if it's something i can't do.

Original post by MHorman

It will be epic. Last time my dad was there he spent 10 minutes casually chatting with Jenson Button/Mick Doohan...

Going to have to try and blag some passes to get into the cool areas like he did last time but there's BSB on this weekend so not sure if most the riders we know will be there... :colone:

Don't miss landy and i too much, we'll be playing ... ok getting lost... in wales :biggrin: I can't wait :woo: wales in 4 days :woo: and seeing oli and dice, can't forget them on saturday :biggrin: :woo:

Original post by R-KAM
Mu budget is £2,000 for bike, gear (except boots and gloves, got them) and insurance. Should be easily doable :holmes:

Easily. Although m&p have burnt down as everyone in hte world appears to have told me :frown:

Original post by LandyJon
Not really sure of the route as I can only see dots but yeah sure :lol: Plenty of decent pics on the Beacons :biggrin:

It works for me
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by R-KAM

I take it back - there's some sun here now :biggrin:

Although atm my flight is cancelled so I'm stuck in Glasgow :/

Latest