The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open Degree and Primary Teaching

Okay, I start on my course in February doing MU123, MST121 and T224. In Oct, MS221 and S104 (A Science Course).

There are a few reasons why I would like to do an Open degree instead of Maths degree. The main one is that my commitments will not really allow me time away from home and the full Maths degree includes a 10 point residential course. 2nd, I want to put some ICT/Technology in. I gained my A'Level Computing Science a few years ago and did enjoy the hardware side of it. Thirdly I do not have GCSE Science and the PGCE Primary course I am looking at will accept S104 as GCSE Science equivalent.

I felt that with my A'Level Computing Science along with a couple of computer based modules would look good for Primary Education (I am seriously thinking of doing the L3 Natural and Artificial Intelligence) but having a primarily Maths based degree would hold me in good stead for my main subject.

If I pass my degree but do not manage to get on a PGCE course, am I limiting myself by going for an Open Degree instead of a named degree? I know I am getting on a bit, I aim to do the degree in 4 years and with a 1 year PGCE I would be 48/49 when I qualified. On the negative side what would a 240/360 point Maths based Open Degree enable me to offer industry?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Your proposed degree looks fine to me. I think that there's only two things that you need to make sure of. The first is that you'll have enough maths content to do a presumably Maths PGCE? The second is that you do at least a couple of Level 3 maths courses so you can show any employer that you've done some maths at the highest undergrad level. Also S104 will give you science knowledge way above GCSE level and above A level for many parts, so no worries there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Cheers for the reply very informative.

This is my proposal for the degree.
Feb 2012
Using Maths L1 30
Discovering Maths L1 30
Computers & Processors L2 30

October 2012
Exploring Science L1 60
Exploring Maths L2 30

October 2013
Pure Maths L2 60
Natural & Artificial Intelligence L3 30

October 2014 All Maths Based
Optimization L3 30
Number Theory and Mathematical Logic L3 30
Groups & Geometry L3 30.

I admit my level 3 courses are still up for change, but the chosen courses all follow on from L2 Pure Maths, so it would seem logical to follow these.

The PCGE Primary Maths Course I am looking is being run at Holy Cross College, Bury and after speaking to them I could apply for this course whilst doing my last 3 level 3 courses. So as long as get my results confirmed by Sept/October 2015 it would be possible for me to get on this course for 2015/16. I do have health issues though and at the moment have poorly controlled Epilepsy. I have been advised I would have to be seizure free for 12 months before I could apply for teacher training. So I assume this would mean I would have to be seizure free for 12 months before I could get some voluntary classroom experience (I forgot to ask about this, but would seem to be a fair conclusion).

If anyone knows about Epilepsy and Teacher Training I would appreciate their input.

Many Thanks

Edit
I know 90 a year is a lot, but at the moment I am on Incapacity due to my health. The reason I decided on 90 units was that I did my A'Level Computing Science at night school and did it in a year and came out with a respectable grade C.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Interesting programme! I'd suggest a couple of changes though. I don't think MU123 and MST121 are meant to be taken at the same time. If you're good enough to do MST121, you don't need to take MU123 which according to the course reviews is much simpler.

If you think you need MU123 then do it with S104 in your first year and do MST121, MS221 and your computer course in year 2. Many people take MST121 and MS221 together. The course info says it's doable as well. Everything else should work out fine I think.

If you don't need MU123 then I'd still suggest bringing S104 forward to your first year and doing it with MST121. Push your computer course back to your second year and do that with MS221 and another computer course. As you have shown in your programme you can't do either of the main L2 maths modules on pure maths M208 or maths modelling MST209 until you've done MS221. So for year 3, I'd consider scrapping the AI course at this stage as you'll need to make up the 30 points you lost from not doing MU123 - you can always do it later - and do a 30 point L2 science course alongside M208. S282 Astronomy would be good as it uses MST121 maths content. Year 4 looks fine...and very hard!!

Hope that gives you something to think about. OU degree planning is fun!! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply. Does the MST121 go any higher than Differentiation and Integration. The last bit of Maths I did, besides my O'level in 1984, was a Year 1 HND Computing Mathematics course. I had to drop out through family problems. If it goes no further than that I will be okay. I bought an A'Level revision book a few weeks ago and have been working through that.

You have got me thinking though. I only left school with my O'level maths, messed around too much. Failed all my subjects besides Maths and got a Grade C with no revision. So I know I can do maths. I do have a strong interest in Science, always like reading about the subject, it may be worth looking at the Natural Science course. That way I could get a named degree, instead of an open, and still get a 50% maths based degree - although it would be a mixture of Pure and Mechanics and not just Pure. As science is on the national curriculum this might be another way as I would have two possible entries onto a PGCE, maths and science.

I really appreciate your input, it has been invaluable.

Many Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you. Unfortunately, I haven't done MST121 yet so don't know how far it goes but some people who post here know. I was going to do it this year but have put it back. I have A level from a long time ago but I'm not at that standard any more. Have you seen the maths choices web pages? They have a few more details. Otherwise have a chat with a course adviser. http://mathschoices.open.ac.uk/routes/index.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi there, I'm a new OU student just starting the Maths & Stats degree- we seem to have similar interests as I'm also planning on doing some computing/ICT along the way and am currently studying a science module (S283) as my very first OU module. I'll be starting MST121 in February as well, which means we'll probably be taking MS221 & M208 together as well!

My comments on your degree plan would be:

* If you have O level maths (even if it was a long time ago!) I would say you probably don't need MU123- if you're comfortable solving basic algebraic equations, I think you'll be fine (anything you've forgotten about trigonometry, factorisation etc can be revised prior to the course when they send out the revision pack!) But obviously there's lots of material on the OU website to help you make your choice. From what I can tell from MST121 materials that I've seen, basic differentiation & integration is about as hard as it gets on MST121 (not to say that's simple, I only have GCSE level maths myself so I'm a bit nervous!)

* The Computing department is messing around with its degrees at the moment so you should be aware that the last presentation for M366 is in February 2013 (which at the moment I am planning on taking!). The last presentation for T224 (Computers & Processors) is currently Feb 2012. It's not looking like there will be direct replacements so if you're really keen on either of those courses I would get them in during last presentation.

* M381 (Number theory & mathematical logic) & M336 (Groups and geometry) are having their last presentations in 2013 and will be replaced by a new 60 pt L3- M303 Further Pure Mathematics (which covers number theory, groups, some topology, rings & fields- no logic!)

* M373 (Optimisation) is currently not scheduled for presentation in 2014 according to the Maths department's presentation document (looks like it's scheduled for every odd year from 2013), but if you're interested in pure maths M337 (Complex analysis) is being presented in 2014.

The OU Maths & Stats pathway advice forum is super helpful when it comes to planning any degree that includes a lot of maths- if you're registered for an OU course you can access it here: http://learn.open.ac.uk/site/maths-stats (requires login to studenthome, then the forum link is on left hand side of the page.)

Hope this is helpful!
Reply 7
Original post by Amabel
Hi there, I'm a new OU student just starting the Maths & Stats degree- we seem to have similar interests as I'm also planning on doing some computing/ICT along the way and am currently studying a science module (S283) as my very first OU module. I'll be starting MST121 in February as well, which means we'll probably be taking MS221 & M208 together as well!

My comments on your degree plan would be:

* If you have O level maths (even if it was a long time ago!) I would say you probably don't need MU123- if you're comfortable solving basic algebraic equations, I think you'll be fine (anything you've forgotten about trigonometry, factorisation etc can be revised prior to the course when they send out the revision pack!) But obviously there's lots of material on the OU website to help you make your choice. From what I can tell from MST121 materials that I've seen, basic differentiation & integration is about as hard as it gets on MST121 (not to say that's simple, I only have GCSE level maths myself so I'm a bit nervous!)

* The Computing department is messing around with its degrees at the moment so you should be aware that the last presentation for M366 is in February 2013 (which at the moment I am planning on taking!). The last presentation for T224 (Computers & Processors) is currently Feb 2012. It's not looking like there will be direct replacements so if you're really keen on either of those courses I would get them in during last presentation.

* M381 (Number theory & mathematical logic) & M336 (Groups and geometry) are having their last presentations in 2013 and will be replaced by a new 60 pt L3- M303 Further Pure Mathematics (which covers number theory, groups, some topology, rings & fields- no logic!)

* M373 (Optimisation) is currently not scheduled for presentation in 2014 according to the Maths department's presentation document (looks like it's scheduled for every odd year from 2013), but if you're interested in pure maths M337 (Complex analysis) is being presented in 2014.

The OU Maths & Stats pathway advice forum is super helpful when it comes to planning any degree that includes a lot of maths- if you're registered for an OU course you can access it here: http://learn.open.ac.uk/site/maths-stats (requires login to studenthome, then the forum link is on left hand side of the page.)

Hope this is helpful!

Many thanks for that - been spending past couple of days working things out and I have changed things about. Now doing MST121 and the S104 Science in Feb 12 and take from there. You never know we may meet somewhere on the course on one of the subjects.

And yes my O'Level Maths was quite a few years ago. The one thing I hate with O'Levels is now they have been replaced with GCSE's people have an approximation of your age. Still more things to worry about I think :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest